How Many Men Get Thick Red Scars After Male Breast Reduction?

What is the risk of hypertrophic scars arising over the skin after a male breast reduction surgery? Obviously, I'd rather not have visible scarring.

Scars after gynecomastia surgery

+1

The short peri-areolar scars after male breast reduction tend to fade quite nicely in most patients.  The risk of hypertrophic or thick scars is greater in patients of color, and that holds true in my gynecomastia patients, where in 20 years, I've had about 10 patients develop thickening of these scars.  3 of these patients have been caucasian, and the remainder have been patients of color.  This is particularly notable, since patients of color are by far in the minority of this patient group.  There are treatments available, and in most cases, these scars can be improved.

Newton Plastic Surgeon

Male Breast Reduction and scars

+1

In most cases male breast reduction for gynecomastia can be performed through a very small incision at the bottom edge of the areola.  The scar in this area is usually for 1 to 3 cm in length, usually heals well, and is not very noticeable.  As with any surgery, there is a small risk of hypertrophic scarring.  If this were to occur there are treatments available including topical hydrocortizone cream, hydrocortizone injections, or if necessary surgical scar revision.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Scars after gynecomastia

+1

It is very difficult to predict who will get unfavorable scars.  More commonly darker skinned patients, and patients prone to thicker scars( i.e. previous surgical results, or family history) are good indications.

Scarring after Gynecomastia Surgery?

+1

The incidence of “thick, red scars" after surgery will depend on the patient's propensity for hypertrophic scar formation,  ethnic and genetic factors, and the surgeon's  skill with closure. Generally, the incidence is low (my best estimation is less than 5%).

Scars after gynecomastia surgery

+1

The risk of a bad scar from gynecomastia surgery is very low. it would really be the same risk as any other surgery you would have. If you have a tendency to form thick scars already than I would be more concerned. Gynecomastia surgery would not increase the risk.

Ronald Schuster, MD