Afraid of Splitting Incisions After Breast Lift

How much time needs to pass to be sure I wont split my incisions after my Breast Lift? I have an anchor-shaped incision. At 8 days post op, the doctor removed the steri strips because I had an allergic reaction and just reinforced it with dermibond. I have seen some terrible pictures on the Internet and am worried about returning to normal activities (like picking up a 25 lbs 2-year-old).

How Long do Incision Lines Need?

+2

I recommend waiting 6 weeks before testing the strength of your incision lines.

In the meantime:

• don't lift more than ~25 pounds
  • no high impact activities like jumping or jogging
  • no big arm swinging activities like tennis or golf

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Healing after a breast lift

+2

The skin technically is sealed (but not fully healed, of course) after 24-48 hours.  Scar maturation is what gives the wound its eventual strength, though.  It takes about 6 months for a wound to have its maximum strength, which is roughly 70% of its preoperative strength.  But you don't have to wait 6 months to do your normal activities.  Generally, my mastopexy patients return to light exercise after a couple of weeks and strenuous exercise after about 6 weeks. 

Carmen Kavali, MD

The answer is always 2 weeks, 6 weeks, 6 months.

+2

After any surgery there is an increased risk of bleeding in the first 2 weeks. During this period you should avoid doing anything that raises your pulse or blood pressure. You should avoid lifting or straining. After two weeks you can resume exercise but you should avoid any trauma to the breast for at least 6-8 weeks. During this period you should wear a support bra for the first 6-8 weeks. After that you can resume normal activity but often it takes up to 6 months for every thing to settle down so that you can see the final result.

Carl W. 'Rick' Lentz III, MD

You are still healing

+2

The wound is entering the weakest phase of healing presently.  Lifting a baby shouldn't affect the sutures.  Bouncing, etc. will put stress on things, and may cause a problem.  I would check with your doctor for sure on this, as we wouldn't want to go against his instructions.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Wait 6 Weeks Before Strenuous Activity Following Breast Lift Surgery

+1

The recovery time following breast lift varies from patient to patient and depends on a variety of factors. I recommend minimal activity for about two weeks following this procedure. After two weeks, patients can slowly resume most activities except those that involve strenuous exertion. After six weeks, patients should be able to resume all of their normal activites, including strenuous exertion and heavy lifting.

This approach should minimize the potential for wound separation following breast lift surgery.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Sutures spitting

+1

The spitting of sutures happens.  If you avoid vigorous activities where your clothing would rub against your incisions could help as a preventative method.  

Splitting Incisions After Breast Lift

+1

To be on the safe side, try avoiding arm movement above your shoulder for 6 weeks. This should be an adequate duration of time to heal.

Ivan Thomas, MD (retired)

Removing sutures with mastopexy

+1

Rely on your surgeon's instincts about the scars.  I think you should be fine at this point.  Sutures should be removed relatively early to avoid secondary complications.  

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Incision Separation After Anchor Breast Lift

+1

Regarding: "Afraid of Splitting Incisions After Breast Lift
How much time needs to pass to be sure I wont split my incisions after my Breast Lift? I have an anchor-shaped incision
. At 8 days post op, the doctor removed the steri strips because I had an allergic reaction and just reinforced it with dermibond. I have seen some terrible pictures on the Internet and am worried about returning to normal activities (like picking up a 25 lbs 2-year-old
)."

Separation of the anchor incision is not rare with an Anchor (inverted T) Breast Lift but is usually related to: tension or decreased blood supply (smokers (primary or second hand). If separation occurs it does so in the first 3 weeks or so after surgery. For  this reason surgeons recommend you wear support (bra) for a long time and not engage in any activity which may increase your blood pressure (and cause swelling of operated tissues) for a month.

The Dermabond will NOT take the place of stitches but will nicely reinforce the inside stitch closure. It is more efficient than steri-strips but much more expensive.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Wound healing after breast lift

+1

After a breast lift surgery, the patient should expect to have swelling and a small amount of bruising. It is not normal for the wounds to open up. This however is a known complication. Depending on the location of the wounds, your surgeon may recommend dressing changes or may recommend a small procedure where dry or dead tissue is removed and the wound is closed again. If you're incision should open up, see your plastic surgeon immediately. Especially, if you received a breast lift with implants. You will want to make sure that the underlying implant is not affected by this new opening in the skin.

Pat Pazmino, MD