When Can I Go Back to Running, Push Ups and Sit Ups After Liposuction of my Upper Arm and Abdomen?

Exercise post lipo

I usually tell my patients they can begin vigorous exercise once they are masybe 4-6 weekks post op.They may still have a little residual bruising.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

You need to discuss with your surgeon. When suctioning the abdomen I will ask my patients to avoid running for 4-6 weeks to avoid seroma formation.

Exercise following Liposuction.

Thanks very much for your question.  I usually tell my patients to wait 3 weeks prior to going back into the gym.  At that point it might be good to start with non-impact exercise (i.e. stationary bike or stair climber).  Talk to your surgeon and get their thoughts as well.

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Activity after liposuction

Returning to exercise is usually a matter of the patient's comfort, following liposuction.  For most of our patients, this is usually about 3 weeks after the procedure.  Good luck with your recovery!

Exercise after liposuction

This is a question you should ask your surgeon as many docs have different opinions.  I usually ask my patients to wait 3 weeks before significant physical activity in order to allow the tissues to heal adequately enough that you will not get a fluid accumulation in the are of the surgery.

Returning To Exercise After Liposuction

Following liposuction of your abdomen and arms, most patients can return to exercising in 4 weeks. However, It is always best to confirm this with your surgeon before you do.

Return to Activity after Upper Arm and Abdomen

Upper arm liposuction does not present much of an issue with regard to return to activity.  Liposuction of the abdomen requires more careful commentary.  If you are having a conservative liposuction of less than 1 liter or so, the likelihood of fluid collection and issues with prolonged swelling will not be as great.  However, if you have any measure of skin laxity or if a large volume is to be liposuctioned from the abdomen, follow the instructions of your plastic surgeon.   He or she may suggest a compression garment for 4 to 6 weeks and may restrict activity.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

I usually permit my patient to walk as much as they wish beginning the day of surgery, and then, based on post op recovery, allow a return to full activity by three weeks.

Your surgeon's recommendation will be based on better info than we will have, so I would sooner observe whatever restrictions you receive in your pre-op packet. 

All the best. 

Liposuction and exercise

Liposuction is a bit different then other surgeries in terms of return to activity.  Usually by 2 weeks, patients can go back to most activities.

Exercising after lipo

Most patients will have some bruising and swelling which can last upto two weeks after liposuction.  I usually have my patients wait 2-3 weeks after surgery before they start exercising, and all of my patients must wear a post-operative compression garment (medical spanx) for 4-6 weeks.  I would definitely recommend that you discuss this issue with your surgeon before surgery.  Every surgeon has his or her own pre- and post-operative routine based on what he or she feels gives him/her the best surgical outcomes.  Good luck!

Anureet K. Bajaj, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon