When Can I Go Back to Running, Push Ups and Sit Ups After Liposuction of my Upper Arm and Abdomen?

Exercise post lipo

+2

I usually tell my patients they can begin vigorous exercise once they are masybe 4-6 weekks post op.They may still have a little residual bruising.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction

+2

You need to discuss with your surgeon. When suctioning the abdomen I will ask my patients to avoid running for 4-6 weeks to avoid seroma formation.

Gregory Sexton, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Exercise following Liposuction.

+2

Thanks very much for your question.  I usually tell my patients to wait 3 weeks prior to going back into the gym.  At that point it might be good to start with non-impact exercise (i.e. stationary bike or stair climber).  Talk to your surgeon and get their thoughts as well.

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Activity after liposuction

+2

Returning to exercise is usually a matter of the patient's comfort, following liposuction.  For most of our patients, this is usually about 3 weeks after the procedure.  Good luck with your recovery!

Thomas Fiala, MD

Exercise after liposuction

+2

This is a question you should ask your surgeon as many docs have different opinions.  I usually ask my patients to wait 3 weeks before significant physical activity in order to allow the tissues to heal adequately enough that you will not get a fluid accumulation in the are of the surgery.

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Returning To Exercise After Liposuction

+2

Following liposuction of your abdomen and arms, most patients can return to exercising in 4 weeks. However, It is always best to confirm this with your surgeon before you do.

Richard Wellington Swift, MD

Return to Activity after Upper Arm and Abdomen

+2

Upper arm liposuction does not present much of an issue with regard to return to activity.  Liposuction of the abdomen requires more careful commentary.  If you are having a conservative liposuction of less than 1 liter or so, the likelihood of fluid collection and issues with prolonged swelling will not be as great.  However, if you have any measure of skin laxity or if a large volume is to be liposuctioned from the abdomen, follow the instructions of your plastic surgeon.   He or she may suggest a compression garment for 4 to 6 weeks and may restrict activity.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

+2

I usually permit my patient to walk as much as they wish beginning the day of surgery, and then, based on post op recovery, allow a return to full activity by three weeks.

Your surgeon's recommendation will be based on better info than we will have, so I would sooner observe whatever restrictions you receive in your pre-op packet. 

All the best. 

Liposuction and exercise

+2

Liposuction is a bit different then other surgeries in terms of return to activity.  Usually by 2 weeks, patients can go back to most activities.

Exercising after lipo

+2

Most patients will have some bruising and swelling which can last upto two weeks after liposuction.  I usually have my patients wait 2-3 weeks after surgery before they start exercising, and all of my patients must wear a post-operative compression garment (medical spanx) for 4-6 weeks.  I would definitely recommend that you discuss this issue with your surgeon before surgery.  Every surgeon has his or her own pre- and post-operative routine based on what he or she feels gives him/her the best surgical outcomes.  Good luck!

Anureet K. Bajaj, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon