When Will I Feel Normal After Full Tummy Tuck?

I had my Full Tummy Tuck Lipo on hips ,waist under and sides of breasts Breast lift with implant .3 weeks ago after the operation I needed two blood transfusions had a chest infection so I had two lots of steroids .I still do not feel well ,tired al of the time weepy I still can't stand up straight still feel very tight and very swolen .when can I expect to feel a bit more normal ?

Editor pick:  See How long is the recovery period for full tummy tuck?

The body takes time to heal after a Tummy Tuck!

+6

Different people heal differently, and there are different type of Tummy Tuck procedures. But usually, most of my patients go back to their routine work activities in two weeks, and do light exericising in 4 weeks, with no sit ups. Most people feel their normal self in about 8-12 weeks, but will still have some bad days, here and there, for up to 6-8 months more.

Give it sometime, you had some adverse effects

+4

It seems that you had some adverse effects following your surgery. This will make your recovery a little harder. In general 3 weeks following this procedure you will start feeling well. With a chest infection ,steroids on board etc... too many factors involved. Give it some time. Work with your doctors until you are back to normal.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Recovery from a Tummy Tuck

+3

The recovery from a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) generally takes about 2-3 weeks to begin returning to normal activity. Some patients heal faster, and some take longer. In your case it seems like you had a rougher time than average. The chest infection definitely will weaken you making your recovery longer. Also, it is a bit unusual to need any transfusions with this surgery. In my experience the amount of bleeding is very little. In any case, you had a more difficult time than average. But don't worry, once you are fully healed the results will be great.

If you would like more information about abominoplasty I would recommend checking out the attached link. You will find lots of good information and even be able to see how the operation is done using animation.

I hope this info helps...

Adam Rubinstein, MD

Tummy tuck recovery

+2

Typically, I tell my tummy tuck patients to plan on missing two weeks of work, no heavy lifting for at least four weeks, and that it will take a minimum of 6-8 weeks until they feel back to normal.  When a tummy tuck is combined with other procedures the recovery period is not only more strenuous, but also longer in some cases.  In addition, I think patients who undergo multiple procedures at once have a higher likelihood of experiencing a complication.  Lastly, it's important to remember that it takes a minimum of one year for a patient's body to be completely recovered from any surgery.

Kelly Gallego, MD, FACS
Yuba City Plastic Surgeon

Recovery: slow but steady

+2

Sounds like you have had a very difficult post-operative course.

It's normal to feel blue during recovery.  Fatigue and irregular sleep contribute to emotional lows after surgery.

Dehydration and inadequate nutrition make things worse, so be sure to drink lots of water and eat lots protein.

When recovery is further slowed by complications, it can be very depressing.

It s very important to know that you will heal, and you will feel yourself, again.

Your surgeon and staff are there to support you during this tough time.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after a tummy tuck

+2

When I see patients after a tummy tuck, I typically hear them complain that they are “exhausted”, they say “I feel like I was hit by a truck”, and “I feel tight”, but they don’t typically complain about pain after a tummy tuck. Don’t get me wrong, they all take some kind of pain medication, but the main complain is not typically the pain level. The worst part seems to be the first three days, after that they truly get better much faster. Most patients are back at work in about 2 weeks. Discomfort might last as much as three weeks, but that is not typical for a standard tummy tuck. I also ask patients not to exercise for six weeks and then to begin aerobic activity only. They can start aggressive weight training by 12 weeks (this is a little conservative, but I don’t like to take any chances).

Thomas P. Sterry, MD

Recovery from an Abdominoplasty/Lipo/Augmentation Mastopexy

+1

The recovery from a straight abdominoplasty is 2-3 weeks and back to the gym in 4-6 weeks typically.  When adding other procedures, the recovery may be longer especially in light of your complications.   Being anemic enough to require transfusions as well as an overlying infection will drain you of energy.  Trust your plastic surgeon to get you through this time and be patient.  It may be up to 3 months before you're feeling like yourself again.

Michael Baroody, MD
Danbury Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty or "tummy tuck" recovery

+1

Recovery from a full abdominoplasty or "tummy tuck" depends on the patient's level of fitness, degree of excess skin and fat  and abdominal wall laxity in need of treatment. The larger the change, the longer the recovery.

James Green, MD
Santa Fe Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty recovery

+1

Sorry to hear about your difficult recovery.  This process  varies with age, nutritional status, and underlying health issues.  Most of my patients return to work within 2 weeks following abdominoplasty.  When this procedure is combined with others, recovery time is often slightly longer.  Anemia (low blood count) may contribute to a prolonged recovery.  When a complication is involved (hematoma, infection, wound dehisence), it may take several weeks to return to normal daily activities.  Frequent follow up visits with your doctor may be necessary.  A balanced diet, plenty of rest, and a positive attitude will all contribute to your recovery.

Jason R. Hess, MD

Feeling normal after a tummy tuck

+1

Most of my patients feel reasonalby good by 2-3 weeks but may still tire easily.  I would say back to normal for 90% by 4-6 weeks.

Michael Philbin, MD
Edina Plastic Surgeon