Best Treatment for Ice Pick Acne Scars?

What is the best treatment for ice-pick acne scarring? I am interested in doing Fraxel Re:pair, and maybe punch excision beforehand but would like more input.

You have a few good options for ice-pick acne scars

+6

Punch excision followed by a laser such as Fraxel re:pair which is a fractionated CO2 laser device is a reasonable strategy for ice-pick type scars in Fitz type I and II (lighter) skin types. I would caution you that in darker skin types, the risk of pigmentary problems is high. Lasers alone for acne scars in general are not that helpful, and much less so for pitted acne scars. Fillers while helpful for rolling scars, spoon-shaped scars, are usually not appropriate for ice-pick scars.

You do have a couple other options as well, including:

Saline subcision which involves breaking up the scar tissue under the ice-pick scars as one method to promote collagen growth.

The "Cross" method which involves spot application of a very strong chemical peeling agent to stimulate the growth of collagen can help "fill in" the ice-pick depressions over time.

To appreciate the results of saline subcision and the "Cross" method requires patience, since the final results are not fully achieved until a year after starting treatment.

I would consult with a qualified physician to review what option(s) would be most appropriate for you.

San Diego Dermatologist

Ice Pick Scars and Punch Excision

+4

Ice pick scars are characterized by punctate deep scars that are usually caused by deep cystic acne. These scars are difficult to resurface with laser or chemical peels because the base of the scar is deep with very steep sidewalls. The most effective treatment has remained punch excision with suturing despite many advances in lasers and chemical peels over the years.

Fraxel may diffusely improve the overall quality of the skin but there is no clinical evidence to support the claim that it will improve deep punctate ice pick scars. However, Fraxel laser resurfacing may improve more superficial scarring associated with chronic acne.

If you are considering a treatment for acne scars, you should discuss options with a physician who is familiar with the use of chemical peels, lasers, subcision, and punch excision of scars.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Treatment for Ice Pick Acne Scars

+2

There are a few options for treatment of acne scars. Small, deep acne scars can be treated with surgical excision, which will ideally trade a depressed and discolored scar for a thin, flat scar.

Other techniques to improve the base of large or numerous scars involve resurfacing the skin by intentionally traumatizing it in order to stimulate collagen production. This thickens the skin and shrinks the surface area of the scar, and color may be improved as well. The Cross technique uses a very concentration of TCA peel. Lasers and dermabrasion (surgical resurfacing) are other techniques that are used to resurface large areas. Often, several techniques are used over time to get the best result. Patience is key since the full effect is often not seen for several months, and multiple procedures are usually necessary for a significant improvement.

Risks include temporary or permanent lightening or darkening of treated skin, crusting, scabbing, scarring, reactivation of cold sores, infection, redness, acne flares, milia formation.

Dana Goldberg, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

TCA CROSS works for ice pick acne scars.

+2

For deep ice pick scars, I use TCA - CROSS, a technique which involves spot peeling with TCA 50% or 100%, applied at the base of the scar using a blunt, but fine probe. Results typically start showing around 6 to 8 weeks, with more improvement over 3 - 6 months,  and it works fine even in darker skin, which is the type I predominantly get to treat. A test area targeting say, 5 to 10 lesions, should always be treated before going onto a larger area. This technique does have a downtime of about a week, during which time the treated areas may be covered with concealer/ make up.

Renita Lourdhurajan, MD, DNB
India Dermatologist

Ice Pick Scars

+1
The best treatment for ice pick acne scars is often laser. Laser treatments such as the FAST treatment for acne scars is a two part approach to helping to build collagen to fill in scar scars and resurface the skin entirely. 
The Focal Acne Scar Treatment (F.A.S.T.) procedure, which combines two different fractional CO2 lasers and delivers outstanding results in a short period of time.  There is also the new platelet rich fibrin matrix (also known as PRP treatment or vampire facial), which promotes the growth of healthy skin and new collagen formation in and around the area of acne scars by introducing your body’s own growth factors deep into the dermis. This new acne star treatment is best used in combination with laser procedures and produces results that are very impressive.

Eric Schweiger, MD

Profractional laser

+1
Hello, we always recommend that you see an expert first.  We always like to do a test patch with the profractioanl laser to determine if the laser Is your best option, before you waste any money.  We have a high satisfactory rate with acne scars.  Every individual is different and every case is different. An individual might benefit from just profractional laser, while another patient might benefit with a combination treatment of micolaser peel and profractional.  This all depends on your skin type, how deep the scars are, and skin sensitivity.

Gregory A. Wiener, MD, FACS

Ice Pick Acne Scaring treatment with CROSS technique and fractional laser resurfacing

+1

Ice pick acne scaring as the name implies, are deep fissures in the skin that extend well below the surface of the skin, which is why they are difficult to treat. For this reason, surface laser treatments even aggressive lasers such as CO2 lasers alone do not necessarily get to the base of the lesion to make much of an improvement. This is why excising the scar or grafting the scar has been suggested, however these approaches leave alternative scars, sometimes better but also with there own set of issues. A novel alternative is the CROSS technique where we use strong acid to burn the base of the scar creating a wound healing response that can restructure the wound in a way that lifts the base and contracts the edges. This is done over a series of treatments, often then combined with more surface laser treatments.

Arthur N. Falk, MD
Albany Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fraxel For Acne Scars

+1
Thank you for your question. At my practice, I have gotten excellent results for scarring with Fraxel. This treatment eliminates irregular skin discoloration, and stimulates new collagen production, tightening the skin without prolonged recovery. After a series of 2 to 4 Fraxel treatments, the cumulative cosmetic improvement is near more aggressive lasers, but unlike more aggressive lasers, redness and swelling eliminated within 2 to 4 days after each treatment. Fraxel is outstanding for fine wrinkles, mild skin laxity, irregular pigmentation, acne scars, surgical scars, enlarged pores, stretch marks, age spots and Rosacea. It can be used safely on the face, neck, hands, arms, and chest.

Daniel Shapiro, MD

Ice pick scars are hard to treat

+1

I use a combination of subcision, laser resurfacing, deep chemical peeling to improve these scars.  There are many variations with each technique that can be used to treat these scars.  But you need a lot of experience and some out of the box thinking to really get the results. You can see my results on my website which represents what I can do.  Below is a video showing one of our techniques.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

I like Like Fraxel Repair and eMatrix for treating Ice Pick Scars.

+1

Ice pick scars are very deep and and difficult to treat.  Fraxel Repair laser and eMatrix work the best in my hands to treat ice pick scars.  If you have extremely oily skin, it may be necessary to put you on isotretinoin (generic Accutane) for one week before the treatment and for one week following the treatment to to facilitate better healing without as much oil in the pores.  eMatrix can be used to do touch up treatments as necessary.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon