Which Surgery Should Be Done First - Breast Augmentation or Tummy Tuck?

I am a mother of two with a sagging stomach when I bend at the waist. When standing, it's not saggy - just an excess layer of loose fat beneath the skin that I cannot work off with exercise. If considering a tummy tuck & breast augmentation, which of these surgeries should be done first and which second to get the best overall results? I do have very young children, and therefore think it would be best to break up the surgeries so I can have a more manageable recovery period and manage them.

Breast Augmentation & Tummy Tuck: Combining Procedures

+1

When breast augmentation and tummy tuck are indicated we prefer combining these procedures whenever possible. This approach has multiple advantages. When these procedures are performed together there’s significant synergy and the overall results are better. In addition, there’s only one recovery and the procedures are less expensive when combined.

These procedures can also be performed separately. Which procedure is performed first under these circumstances depends on the personal preference of the patient. There’s no medical reason for doing one before the other. 

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover

+1

Do the breast aug. first that way if there is a need to adjust something later, you can do that when you are having the TT 9 months later or so.  Either sequence is fine though.

Web reference: http://www.elitemdspa.info/

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Doing a mommy make over in stages

+1

If your scenario is such that you need or want to break the surgeries up into two, I think I would suggest doing the one that bothers you the most first. Since you mentioned the tummy issues first, I would assume that bothers you the most.  The down time and recovery are similar, so that would not make a large difference. I say do the one that bothers you the most first because in some cases, once the biggest problem is gone, the patient feels that what they have had is enough and they do not have the second part, that saves money an down time.

Which comes first? The tummy tuck or the breast augmentation

+1

If you are a candidate for these two procedures, I recommend that you get them both at the same time. It takes longer to get off pain medicine, driving, and back to work from a tummy tuck than it does from a breast augmentation. While you are recovering from a tummy tuck, you will have already mostly recovered from a breast augmentation.

If you want to have the procedures done separately for financial reasons, then you pick which you want to do first. Do the one that bothers you the most.  Having one done before the other typically doesn't affect the other procedure.

Good luck.

Tummy tuck

+1

I usually like to do the tummy tuck first unless the patient has strong preferences. This establishes the new waistline and makes breast implant selection more accurate later.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

Orange Plastic Surgeon

Staging mommy makeover

+1

The decision to stage the breast and abdominal portions of your mommy makeover is a personal one, as is whether to do the abdominal or breast portion of your procedure first.  If you do choose to stage the procedures, I recommend doing whatever bothers you more first.  However, because you have young children, you should consider that, while the recovery may be a bit less if you stage the procedures, you will not be able to lift your children for a while after each procedure.  Some women prefer to do everything at once and just get the whole thing over with!

Staging a mommy makeover, breast first or tummy tuck

+1

There is no right or wrong answer so do the procedure that you want to do the most first.  If either one would be fine for you I would do the tummy tuck first since there is a small amount of skin from the fold of the breasts that is pulled down with the tummy tuck and this will allow more accurate incision placement when you get your breasts done.

Dr Repta

Web reference: http://aaaplasticsurgery.com

Tummy tuck

+1

I usually recommend tummy first as it is easier to use bras to enhance your breast shape (eg. push up bras).  Of course your preference of what bothers you the most is of primary importance.  Do what you want first.  I hope this info helps.

Tummy tuck or breast augmentation order

+1

Do the one first that bothers you most. That being said: 1. If you can do both procedures simultaneously you will save yourself a significant amount of recovery time. It will most likely also save you on the overall cost for both procedures. 2.Most patients find that they need more time to recover from the tummy tuck than from the breast augmentation.

Recovery post surgery

+1

The answer to your question is entirely based on your preference and personal concerns. I understand the many concerns mothers have taking time off of their busy schedules, however, recovery after any surgery is very important and will require a good support system. Many of my patient’s opt for a full mommy makeover, which involves breast surgery and a tummy tuck performed at the same time. Since the tummy tuck procedure is more invasive, it will require more recovery time. Having both procedures performed together would prevent you from taking additional time off to recover for another procedure. The healing process varies between patients. You will be very limited the first 2-4 weeks after a tummy tuck and for about one week after breast augmentation.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_mommyMakeover.htm