Which Surgery Should Be Done First - Breast Augmentation or Tummy Tuck?

I am a mother of two with a sagging stomach when I bend at the waist. When standing, it's not saggy - just an excess layer of loose fat beneath the skin that I cannot work off with exercise. If considering a tummy tuck & breast augmentation, which of these surgeries should be done first and which second to get the best overall results? I do have very young children, and therefore think it would be best to break up the surgeries so I can have a more manageable recovery period and manage them.

Which surgery should be done first - breast augmentation or tummy tuck?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! These procedures can be effectively and safely performed in one setting. The breasts and tummy tuck are commonly performed together, often referred to as the "mommy makeover". If you are healthy and your surgeon decides that a/he could perform the procedures in a safe time for you, these procedures certainly can be done in one stage. Staging the procedures to have them performed at various times will likely not have any cost benefit for you. When you combine procedures, there is often a discount that is provided by the surgeon for multiple procedures. Also, when having multiple procedures performed at the same time, you save on anesthesia and facility fees, which otherwise are paid for with each individual procedure. In addition, you may benefit by the single recovery time.

It is your decision as to whether you have your procedures performed in one or multiple stages, but your surgeon will give his/her recommendations.  If you do stage them, which one first should be decided by which one you would like to have done first or which bothers you more. I would consult with a plastic surgeon well-versed in these procedures and discuss your concerns with your surgeon and see what your options are as well as have an examination. Your safety is ultimately the most important factor and is always on the mind of your surgeon when making such decisions. Hope that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Breast Augmentation & Tummy Tuck: Combining Procedures

+1

When breast augmentation and tummy tuck are indicated we prefer combining these procedures whenever possible. This approach has multiple advantages. When these procedures are performed together there’s significant synergy and the overall results are better. In addition, there’s only one recovery and the procedures are less expensive when combined.

These procedures can also be performed separately. Which procedure is performed first under these circumstances depends on the personal preference of the patient. There’s no medical reason for doing one before the other. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover

+1

Do the breast aug. first that way if there is a need to adjust something later, you can do that when you are having the TT 9 months later or so.  Either sequence is fine though.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Doing a mommy make over in stages

+1

If your scenario is such that you need or want to break the surgeries up into two, I think I would suggest doing the one that bothers you the most first. Since you mentioned the tummy issues first, I would assume that bothers you the most.  The down time and recovery are similar, so that would not make a large difference. I say do the one that bothers you the most first because in some cases, once the biggest problem is gone, the patient feels that what they have had is enough and they do not have the second part, that saves money an down time.

Julio Garcia, MD

Which comes first? The tummy tuck or the breast augmentation

+1

If you are a candidate for these two procedures, I recommend that you get them both at the same time. It takes longer to get off pain medicine, driving, and back to work from a tummy tuck than it does from a breast augmentation. While you are recovering from a tummy tuck, you will have already mostly recovered from a breast augmentation.

If you want to have the procedures done separately for financial reasons, then you pick which you want to do first. Do the one that bothers you the most.  Having one done before the other typically doesn't affect the other procedure.

Good luck.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck

+1

I usually like to do the tummy tuck first unless the patient has strong preferences. This establishes the new waistline and makes breast implant selection more accurate later.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Staging mommy makeover

+1

The decision to stage the breast and abdominal portions of your mommy makeover is a personal one, as is whether to do the abdominal or breast portion of your procedure first.  If you do choose to stage the procedures, I recommend doing whatever bothers you more first.  However, because you have young children, you should consider that, while the recovery may be a bit less if you stage the procedures, you will not be able to lift your children for a while after each procedure.  Some women prefer to do everything at once and just get the whole thing over with!

B. Aviva Preminger, MD

Staging a mommy makeover, breast first or tummy tuck

+1

There is no right or wrong answer so do the procedure that you want to do the most first.  If either one would be fine for you I would do the tummy tuck first since there is a small amount of skin from the fold of the breasts that is pulled down with the tummy tuck and this will allow more accurate incision placement when you get your breasts done.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Tummy tuck

+1

I usually recommend tummy first as it is easier to use bras to enhance your breast shape (eg. push up bras).  Of course your preference of what bothers you the most is of primary importance.  Do what you want first.  I hope this info helps.

Ronald H. Stefani Jr, MD

Tummy tuck or breast augmentation order

+1

Do the one first that bothers you most. That being said: 1. If you can do both procedures simultaneously you will save yourself a significant amount of recovery time. It will most likely also save you on the overall cost for both procedures. 2.Most patients find that they need more time to recover from the tummy tuck than from the breast augmentation.

Laurence Weider, MD