What’s the Best Dermal Filler for Acne Scars?

I've heard about juvederm and restylane but also long lasters like sculptra. for deep scarring is there one preferred injectable treatment?

Acne scars - Make it plump and make it last

+6

There are so many fillers these days that it is often difficult to know which is best. Acne scars are a specialized treatment area and thus the choice is often times easier.

The two basic requirements should be that the filler plumps the skin well enough to correct the scar and second that it lasts long enough for prolonged correction.

My personal favorite is Radiesse (Calcium hydroxlapetite). This filler plumps, provides immediate correction and last approximately 9-16 months.

Microroplet silicone is another excellent alternative. This is a specialized technique performed by only a limited number of physicians. It is a permanent filler and must be used with care.

ONE IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT ACNE SCARS: there are many different types of acne scars (ice pick, box car, rolling type scars), and they must be approached using different techniques and combinations of techniques including lasers, acid peels and then fillers as a final therapy.

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Dermal fillers and laser treatments

+5

Fillers can improve the appearance of acne scars by partially lifting the depressed scar but their effect is temporary. The results can last from between a few months to a year using fillers such as Restylane, Juvederm, and Perlane, etc. However, laser treatments such as Pixel, Smoothbeam, Erbium or Fraxel can dramatically and permanently reduce the appearance of acne scars with improvement of overall tone.

Web reference: http://www.advanceddermatologypc.com/adult/adult_acne5.html

Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Dermal Fillers for Acne Scars

+3

Which demal filler that is selected depends on the type of acne scar that is being treated.  For atrophic scars we use saline injections or a hyaluronic acid filler normally.  If there is  deeper tissue loss sometimes a volume filler like Sculptra or Radiesse is used.  Fillers are usually not helpful for thicker scars and ice pick scars.

Fullerton Dermatologist

There are many options for filling in scars

+3

Fillers are a temporary way to fill in depressed scars. Restylane can last about 6-9months, and radiesse 1-2 years. Fat can be another option to fill in scars and can last many years like 10 years give or take a few years when done right.

In my experience, using temporary fillers gives one only modest results and most people are left desiring more improvement. Other ways to lift the scar include subscision technique where you use a needle to lift the scar up so that it sits level with the plane of the rest of the skin. This can be done in conjunction with laser resurfacing. Other ways to lift up the scar is to use biopsy instruments to incise around the depressed scar and this is then lifted up into the right plane. Another way is to cut the scar out and follow this with resurfacing.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Filler Treatment for Acne Scarring Depends on Condition

+1
It depends on the area that has the scarring. This will be determined by your doctor in your consultation. I would also recommend that you see an aesthetician who specializes in treatments for scarring, as fillers may not be the most suitable solution.

Web reference: http://www.edelsteincosmetic.com/learning-centre/acne/acne-scar-treatment.php

Best dermal filler for acne scars

+1

Most fillers plump exactly where they are injected, and the results can be seen immediately. These are hyaluronic acids like Juvederm and Restylane, which last 9-12 months, and Radiesse, which lasts up to two years. 

Sculptra also lasts about two years, but injections are performed in a different way. A small amount is injected into several sites over a large area, and the entire area is stimulated to produce collagen and thicken slowly over several weeks to months. Sculptra injections are usually repeated to get the best benefit.

There is no one best filler since each patient is different. Someone with a few deep scars may benefit from spot treatment with Juvederm, whereas someone with multiple slightly more shallow scars may do better with Sculptra injected everywhere. Most often, these treatments are done in conjunction with other resurfacing techniques like laser and peels to get the best improvement.

Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

Try Scupltra!

+1

Filler selection for scar tissue will depend upon the depth of the scar and your comfort level with fillers. Deep scars tend to respond best to more durable, firmer fillers. More superficial ones cannot hold thick fillers, and hyaluronic acid is preferred. Sculptra will last 2+ years, while hyaluronic acid (Restylane and Juvederm) may not last the full year.

Web reference: http://www.bobbybukamd.com/services/restylane_nyc/

Filler for Deep Acne Scars

+1

Deep acne scars, not pits which are small deep holes, are often best treated with more than one modality.

In many cases, subcision (a special needle or blade is passed under the scar to release it).

To elevate the scar, autologous fat transplantation, Radiesse, or Sculptra are typically used.

Miami Dermatologic Surgeon

Best dermal filler for acne scars

+1
  • There are many excellent fillers available today, and these can work very well to treat acne scars.  Fillers can elevate the surface of the scar to a level even with the skin, removing any depressed, shadowy area.  The severity of your acne scars will determine the best filler for your needs. 
  • I prefer to use Hyaluronic Acid Fillers (HA Fillers), such as Juvederm and Restylane, to treat mild to moderate acne scars. The results can last from 9-12 months, and the treatments can be repeated as many times as needed. 
  • Skin resurfacing procedures can also help treat acne scars, especially those that are on large areas of the face.  Dermal fillers work very well, but I prefer to use them primarily when the scars are in localized areas of the face.  When scarring is global, skin resurfacing (chemical peels, laser treatments) can treat the whole face and provide excellent results.  the skin will look refreshed, toned, and best of all, scar free. 
  • Be sure you visit a board certified, and experienced, dermatologist or cosmetic surgeon when treating your acne scars.  I provide my patients with a complementary consultation, so we can discuss the best treatment plan for their needs, before we get started. 
Houston Dermatologist

Best Dermal Fillers for Acne Scars

+1

Great question! It really depends on your degree of scarring. For individuals who have severe scarring with major volume depressions, I like to use a combination of Sculptra, fractioned laser, and micro-Radiesse injections. First, I use Sculptra to give a pan-facial volume restoration. I follow this up by performing fractionated laser, before finalizing with micro-Radiesse injections in the divots.