What’s the Best Dermal Filler for Acne Scars?

I've heard about juvederm and restylane but also long lasters like sculptra. for deep scarring is there one preferred injectable treatment?

Dermal fillers and laser treatments

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Fillers can improve the appearance of acne scars by partially lifting the depressed scar but their effect is temporary. The results can last from between a few months to a year using fillers such as Restylane, Juvederm, and Perlane, etc. However, laser treatments such as Pixel, Smoothbeam, Erbium or Fraxel can dramatically and permanently reduce the appearance of acne scars with improvement of overall tone.

Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Acne scars - Make it plump and make it last

There are so many fillers these days that it is often difficult to know which is best. Acne scars are a specialized treatment area and thus the choice is often times easier.

The two basic requirements should be that the filler plumps the skin well enough to correct the scar and second that it lasts long enough for prolonged correction.

My personal favorite is Radiesse (Calcium hydroxlapetite). This filler plumps, provides immediate correction and last approximately 9-16 months.

Microroplet silicone is another excellent alternative. This is a specialized technique performed by only a limited number of physicians. It is a permanent filler and must be used with care.

ONE IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT ACNE SCARS: there are many different types of acne scars (ice pick, box car, rolling type scars), and they must be approached using different techniques and combinations of techniques including lasers, acid peels and then fillers as a final therapy.

Edgar Franklin Fincher, MD, PhD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Dermal Fillers for Acne Scars

Which demal filler that is selected depends on the type of acne scar that is being treated.  For atrophic scars we use saline injections or a hyaluronic acid filler normally.  If there is  deeper tissue loss sometimes a volume filler like Sculptra or Radiesse is used.  Fillers are usually not helpful for thicker scars and ice pick scars.

David J. Sire, MD
Fullerton Dermatologist

There are many options for filling in scars

Fillers are a temporary way to fill in depressed scars. Restylane can last about 6-9months, and radiesse 1-2 years. Fat can be another option to fill in scars and can last many years like 10 years give or take a few years when done right.

In my experience, using temporary fillers gives one only modest results and most people are left desiring more improvement. Other ways to lift the scar include subscision technique where you use a needle to lift the scar up so that it sits level with the plane of the rest of the skin. This can be done in conjunction with laser resurfacing. Other ways to lift up the scar is to use biopsy instruments to incise around the depressed scar and this is then lifted up into the right plane. Another way is to cut the scar out and follow this with resurfacing.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Best dermal filler for acne scars

Most fillers plump exactly where they are injected, and the results can be seen immediately. These are hyaluronic acids like Juvederm and Restylane, which last 9-12 months, and Radiesse, which lasts up to two years. 

Sculptra also lasts about two years, but injections are performed in a different way. A small amount is injected into several sites over a large area, and the entire area is stimulated to produce collagen and thicken slowly over several weeks to months. Sculptra injections are usually repeated to get the best benefit.

There is no one best filler since each patient is different. Someone with a few deep scars may benefit from spot treatment with Juvederm, whereas someone with multiple slightly more shallow scars may do better with Sculptra injected everywhere. Most often, these treatments are done in conjunction with other resurfacing techniques like laser and peels to get the best improvement.

Dana Goldberg, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

Which Filler is Best for Acne Scars

Acne scars often involve several layers, not only the outer two(epidermis and dermis) but the faty layer underneath. The fatty layer can decrease under the scars because of the inflammation from deep cystic acne or sometimes from years of steroid injections into the area. The loss of fat as we age also complicates the matter. If one needs volume, sculptra or a hyaluronic acid filler such as Juvaderm can help. Of the hyaluronic acid fillers, I prefer the Juvaderm products, they seem to last longer for most of my patients. Having said that, restylane is satisfactory as well.
I personally do not recommend artifill or silicone. I have seen too many lumps from patients who have had these fillers placed elsewhere.

Brian Maloney, MD, FACS
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dermal Filler for Acne scars only a short term option.

Restylane and Juvederm Ultra work fine for acne scars - but if the scars are well tethered, then a filler treatment should be preceded by a session of subscision for better results. Many more treatment options are now available for acne scars which give longer lasting results than fillers. 
Good Luck!

Depends on what type of scars, shallow, deep, rolling....

There are lots of fillers out on the market, and to answer this question, I will need to be broad-
different fillers for different scars. If scars are superficial a more fluid filler is preferred, whilst deeper rolling scars and atrophic scars can benefit from lift and VOLUME, hence a thicker longer lasting filler is needed. 

I often combine fillers, thick filler for deep scars and volume loss, thinner filler such as Restylane for superficial scars. This seems to work best. 

Fillers are not the only answer, as they can often be combined with lasers for the best outcomes. 

Dr Davin S. Lim
Dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Dermal Filler for Acne Scars

There is no one filler that is ideal for acne scars. Much depends on your injector's comfort and specific expertise. Ensure that you research your injector to ensure an appropriate level of expertise and experience. I prefer juvederm.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Filler Treatment for Acne Scarring Depends on Condition

It depends on the area that has the scarring. This will be determined by your doctor in your consultation. I would also recommend that you see an aesthetician who specializes in treatments for scarring, as fillers may not be the most suitable solution.