How Much Weight to Lose Before Body Lift?

I am a 41 yr old female and I weigh about 285 lbs. My height is 5 ft 9 in. How much weight must I lose to have a Body lift?

Weight loss prior to body lift

+2

I usually perform a lower body lift after a patient has lost about 100 pounds or so either through gastric sbypass or diet and exercise. That is not a hard and fast rule, however. What is more important to me is that the weight loss is stable.

I prefer to operate once all the wieght you are going to lose has been lost and you can't lose anymore regardless of your final weight. The more weight you lose the better the result. As long as your expectations are realistic we can then consider a lower body lift.

Good luck!

Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

The Scale is Not the Only Measure of Weight Loss Success

+2

I prefer that patients reach a healthy, sustainable and stable weight before any kind of plastic surgery.  I prefer a body fat percentage of 25% or less, although even this can vary amongst individuals.

What was your weight when you looked felt good about yourself ?

Web reference: http://www.bodylifthouston.com/book.html

Ideal weight loss prior to body contouring surgery.

+2

This also depends on your height. Given an average estimate of 5"4" Your weight should roughly vary from 120-145 lbs. Given this upper limit I am estimating that you are about 140 pounds overweight.

It would be ideal for you to achieve this but perhaps not realistic. You may want to consider nutrtional counseling and supervision and possible contemplate bariatric surgery first.

This is an extremely brief synopsis and many other issues will affect this decision.

Things to consider before a body lift.

+1

Being in good physical health overall is an important component of a successful surgery, and this is even more the case when looking at a body lift or other procedures of that type. Although it’s hard to give an exact weight goal for you to reach, you should hold a healthy end weight as your target. A nutritionist can help you determine what that number means for you. More important than the exact number of pounds you lose is your ability to maintain a healthy weight for several months before surgery. I like to see my patients holding steady for about six months prior to any type of lift procedure.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

How much to loose before having a Body Lift .

+1

I would personally recommend for you to first go with a bariatric specialist  or a nutritionist so they can adequately guide you in the correct and healthy way to loose weight. After the specialist has guided you and you have accomplished what he has recommended you can afterward see a plastic surgeon so he can evaluate you and let you know what would be the best choice in regards to plastic surgery. Hope this helps. 

Mexico Plastic Surgeon

There is no magic number...

+1

There is no magic number of pounds you need to lose before a body lift.  The most important thing is to have reached a stable weight.  I have typically found with Roux-en-Y gastric bypass, vertical gastric sleeve and duodenal switch that most patients lose their weight at approximately 10 to 12 months.  Lap-band patients tend to maximally lose their weight at approximately 20 to 22 months.  This is a gross generalization, but appears to hold true for most of my patients.  After you have lost your weight and your weight has been stable within 5 pounds for approximately 3 to 4 months, then I believe you are ready for a body lift.

Based on your individual height and weight, I would estimate with a Roux-en-Y procedure you could lose over 100 pounds.  Though as mentioned above, the most important factor is to have a stable weight for approximately 3 to 4 months after your significant weight loss.

Thank You,

Dr. J. Timothy Katzen

Web reference: http://timothykatzenmd.com/body/360-body-lift/

Losing weight prior to body lift

+1

I always recommend to ALL of my patients that they should lose as much weight as possible prior to surgery and to be as close as possible to their long term stable weight to get the best results.  This will maximize chances of achieving a long-term stable result without the need for revision surgery (related to weight gain or loss issues).

For example, if you have the procedure and then lose  more than 10  pounds, you may need revisionary surgery to take care of excess skin, etc.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/weightloss.htm

How Much Weight to Lose Before Body Lift

+1

The simple answer to your question is that there is no specific formula that gives a particular number. Even BMI indexes are only a rough guide as they can be grossly misleading in people who have good muscle mass and athletes. I would tell you that having a stable weight is the most important factor for you to consider after losing your weight. Without a picture it is hard to be really specific for you, but loosing 100lbs would be sufficient for your height. I often see patients who have had barriatric surgery and have lost so much weight that they are literally skin and bones. This is too much weight loss as there is little one can do to give them a nice shape but remove excess skin. A bodylift is an extremely powerful procedure to give you back your natural shape and if there is still some fat you will be very pleasantly surprised by the result.

Web reference: http://www.drvitenas.com

Weight loss and body lift

+1

You should try to lose enough weight to get close to your ideal body weight. This is always best to obtain the best results and diminish the risks of complications.

How much weight to lose before a body lift

+1

Generally it is good to lose enough to be at your "ideal" weight ( whatever that means).  Practically, you should be at a weight where you are healthy and stable ( can keep steady at that weight). Your physician can help you figure out what that is.    With those too caveats, the higher the ratio of skin to fat the more effective a body lift will be.

Hope that helps.

Dr. Korman

Monterey Plastic Surgeon