Five Days Smoke Free Before Body Lift?

I am having torsoplasty (body lift) in five days and just stopped smoking today. Will five days smoke-free prior to surgery aid in my recovery as long as I continue not to smoke afterwards?

Body lift and smoking

+3

If I were your surgeon, I would cancel your case.  These body contouring procedures put a lot of stress on the blood supply of the skin and your chance of delayed wound healing and really bad scarring is much increased.  Also, smoking screws up your lungs and increases secretions that can be a problem with general anesthetic.  Smoking also increases your chance for blood clots.  I turn smokers away and tell them to come back with they are non-smokers. They also have to be weaned from all nicotine replacements such as patches or gum. 

I used to do the no smoking a month before and month after thing but patients cheat, their skin dies and they blame their surgeon.  Yet again, I learned the hard way.

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D.

Smoking and cosmetic surgery

+2

It is well known that tobacco use (smoking) hinders healing potential and increases your risk of healing problem. It is great that you have stopped smoking for 5 days.  But I generally recommend for a body lift that my patients are tobacco free for at least 4 weeks before and definitely after surgery.   Your body lift is an elective procedure and you want to do your best to optimize your healing potential.  Even being tobacco free does not erase your past history of smoking as you will likely not heal as fast as as a nonsmoker.  But being tobacco free before and after your surgery is the best that you can do. Keep up the good work with being a non-smoker!

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

The SMOKING curse !

+2

Unfortunately the smoking curse affects many people and is the bane of Plastic Surgeons worldwide. Nicotine, the drug that is delivered to your body when you smoke, is actually the culprit that causes the most immediate trouble when it comes to Plastic Surgery, however.  This drug causes blood vessels to clamp down and thus restricts the blood flowing through the blood vessel.  This is quite important because blood has the job of carrying oxygen to the tissues in your body and all tissue in your body needs oxygen to live and stay healthy. When a surgeon does a Body Lift or a Tummy Tuck they have to undermine tissue and thus decrease the tissues blood supply, now there is a certain amount of redundancy of blood supply that will in most cases be enough to allow the procedure to heal without difficulty. However, when you add the affects of the Nicotine to the mix, that amount of redundant blood supply is dramatically reduced and therefore increases the risk of complications to approximately 35%!!  That is a very large complication rate!  Also you should know that the affects of one cigarette on the blood vessels lasts for 18 hours!  Bottom line, you should not have this kind of procedure unless you stop smoking for at least one month or six weeks and even then we know that your risk does not decrease to the level of a non-smoker for over a year. Also remember, it is the Nicotine that is the culprit, so if you take the patches or chew the Nicotine gum you are doing the same thing as smoking as far as your blood vessels are concerned!

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Smoking cessation before body lift surgery

+2

I would say that 5 days of smoking cessation is not enough time for your body to metabolize the negative chemicals contained in tobacco as well as allowing your lungs to recover from smoking. Usually it will take at least 3 weeks to clear your system of these effects. If you quit now you may be looking at prolonged healing, wound break down, as well as pulmonary problems and even pneunomia.

This is your body and your money. Consider it not worth the risk. 

Andrew P. Trussler, MD

Smoking and surgery

+1
Here are the major points of smoking Tobacco or Marijuana before or after surgery:
1. There is nicotine in tobacco, but not in marijuana. However, most joints are rolled with marijuana and tobacco combination. Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor that decreases blood flow to the tissues. This is the major problems that can cause a very bad outcome in some surgeries. In a breast augmentation, there is not a lot of risk as there are not a lot of incisions which decrease blood flow to the tissues. In a breast lift or tummy tuck, on the other hand, there is much longer and more involved incisions. The decrease in blood flow to the tissues in combination with the decrease in blood flow from the nicotine can cause tissue to die. This can cause part of the breast or nipple, or in the case of a tummy tuck, part of the belly tissue to die, resulting in a very bad outcome. This is especially bad in breast reductions or face lifts. In a rhinoplasty the tip of the nose and the columella, the area between the tip and the lip, is at risk. Your skin and tissue can turn black and fall off if this happens. Marijuana without tobacco does not cause this problem, or marijuana in an edible fashion. Vaporizers do not decrease the amount of nicotine in tobacco, only decrease the smoke. Hookah also does not decrease nicotine.
2. There is carbon monoxide in both tobacco smoke and marijuana smoke. Carbon monoxide decreases the oxygen carrying capacity of hemoglobin in the blood. This is different from the vasoconstrictor effect, but has the same result of having the risk of tissue death in conjunction with surgeries that decrease the blood flow to tissues such as breast lifts and tummy tucks, as opposed to an augmentation alone that does not decrease blood flow to as great of an extent. Again, edible forms of marijuana do not have smoke, and thus carbon monoxide poisoning.
3. Coughing. Both tobacco and marijuana smoke disrupt the lining of the lungs and bronchi and can lead to coughing episodes. Coughing episodes can lead to internal bleeding after surgery that can lead to hematomas and complications, and again a bad outcome. Again, edible forms of marijuana does not have this effect.
4. Anesthesia effects. Marijuana can have drug interactions with certain anesthetic drugs. Thus it is important to tell your anesthesiologist about your marijuana use.
In conclusion, Smoking, whether it be tobacco or marijuana, is detrimental to your surgery outcome. Edible marijuana is much less so, but be honest about your use with your surgeon and anesthesiologist so that you can have the best outcome. In general, you should quite smoking many weeks, ideally 6 weeks before surgery, and not smoke for at least 2 weeks after surgery.
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Smoking Cessation Prior To Surgery

+1

Nicotine causes small vessels to go into spasm which prevents blood flow through these areas.  The decreased blood flow means a lack of oxygen where it is most needed.  As a smoker, you are more likely to have delayed healing, wound disruption, and wound infection.  Four -six weeks off of tobacco is really in your best interest with this important undertaking.  Be honest with your surgeon so that neither of you will regret this undertaking.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Smoking and surgery

+1

I do not think that 5 days of being smoke free is good enough.  In my practice, I suggest that patients are nicotine free for at least 4 weeks prior to this type of surgery.  Smoking increases your risk of wound healing problems after surgery and so the longer you can be off of nicotine, the better for your recovery.

Must stop three weks before

+1

I reccommend patients stop smoking at least three weeks before and three weeks after.  This includes no nicotine patches.  You are at greater risk for wound complications with five days of smoking cessation.  Does your surgeon know?

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

This is elective cosmetic surgery!!

+1

A lower body lift is an elective cosmetic surgery.   As with any elective surgery, we want to minimize risk by a thorough preoperative workup, maximizing nutrition, and smoking cessation for at least 4 weeks.   As a patient, you should realize this procedure will have a very positive impact on your self esteem and body image.    In order to maximize this benefit, I recommend that you throw out the cigarettes for good and take your health more seriously.   There are pills, gums, patches that can assist you in ridding yourself of this habit.  

Cosmetic surgery is not only a medical risk, but financial risk.  You have invested a significant amount of money into your procedure.   Smoking significantly increases your chance of infection and wound breakdown.   If these complications do occur, many insurance companies will not cover the treatment of these complications if they are due to a cosmetic procedure.   Therefore, smoking cessation will also lessen your financial risk by decreasing your chance of these complications.

Paul S. Gill, MD

Smoking causes horrible problems after many plastic surgery procedures

+1

5 days is not long enough to stop smoking before a major surgery like a body lift. I would recommend at least 3-5 weeks of smoking cessation before surgery.  And, even with smoking cessation 3-5 weeks prior to surgery, your risk of wound healing problems is still greater than that of a non-smoker.  The damage is done to the small vessels that carry blood to the skin.  But active smoking before surgery is even worse, so you should stop smoking at least 3-5 weeks prior to surgery.  Still, be prepared for wound healing problems that could be quite significant.

Carmen Kavali, MD