Can I Weigh 280lb and Get a Tummy Tuck?

Are you a candidate for a tummy tuck

+1

As tummy tuck is a cosmetic procedure to contour your abdominal wall.   One of the relative contraindications for a tummy tuck is excessive intraabdominal obesity.   Without knowing your height and abdominal wall anatomy, I will have to guess that you may have too much excessive abdominal fat to safely undergo a tummy tuck.  In these cases, I recommend follow up with a weight loss specialist or a bariatric surgeon.  Please visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your options.

Web reference: http://www.basuplasticsurgery.com

Options other than tummy tuck if I weigh 280 lbs

+1

Although a tummy tuck can be done in a person weighing 280 pounds, the results may be minimal and the risk high compared to someone who is getting it done at a more appropriate weight.

A better idea may be to enter a medically monitored weight loss program that offers a sensible weight loss goal of 1 to 2 pounds per a week through a combination of sound dietary and nutritional principals and regular exercise. If that doesn’t work, an evaluation by a bariatric surgeon would be the next step.

With either route, a weight loss of 50 to 100 pounds in 1 year is possible. Once you are at a reasonable and stable weight, a tummy tuck (and possibly other body contouring procedures) would be much more appropriate, safer and cost effective. You would also gain the overall life-long health benefits of the controlled weight loss.

Good luck!

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck at 280

+1

Abdominoplasty or tummy tuck is a surgery designed to remove skin and fat from the tummy, tighten the abdominal muscles, and tighten the remaining skin.  It is a powerful and transforming surgery as you have probably seen from before and after photos.  However, this surgery is not for everyone.  There are both safety and aesthetic (cosmetic) considerations that will make this a successful and safe surgery or a surgery that did not meet your anticipated result or worse, caused you harm.

There are many scientific studies looking at the complications after tummy tuck associated with a high 'body mass index', which is a number that looks at your height and weight.  The higher this number, the greater your weight compared to your height, and the much more likely you will have complications after a tummy tuck, some of which are life threatening.

From a cosmetic perspective, if you are too heavy, your result may not be what you were hoping for either.  This is not a surgery that is designed to make a heavy person thin.  The best candidates for a tummy tuck are those fairly close to their ideal body weight (within 20 to 30 lbs).  Without looking at your photos, you may be a good candidate for a simpler and faster surgery that will remove any hanging skin and allow you to exercise and diet more effectively.  This surgery is called a panniculectomy and it carries less surgical risks for people who are still too heavy for a tummy tuck.

Remember it's 90% diet and 10% exercise!  I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor to loose weight and get healthy. 

Tummy Tuck Results and Risks in a person weighing 280 pounds

+1

While some surgeons may be tempted to operate on you, I would probably decline doing so for several reasons. A Tummy Tuck operation is often done with other operations (as in a Mommy Make-Over procedure) and may be associated with uncommon but potentially serious complications in normal weight individuals. In over-weight or morbidly obese people, the Tummy Tuck results would be predictably poor to average and the potential complications would be significant making for a poor trade-off in my opinion. Furthermore, should you do well with this ill-advised / ill-timed Tummy Tuck and proceed to lose weight, there would be further significant skin sagging requiring another operation(s) to improve your appearance resulting in a larger expense.

It is far better and safer as well far likely for you to get much nicer results if your weight was much lower preferably below a BMI or 30.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Abdominoplasty at ideal weight

+1

Without further information, it is difficult to give a safe recommendation. A weight of 280 is not contra-indicated for a tummy tuck, so long as you have been cleared for surgery with a physical exam, ECG, and requisite labs. Additionally, your body mass index (BMI) must fall within reasonable parameters to ensure upmost safety during your procedure.  I would recommend you follow up with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area for a full evaluation.

Warmest Regards,

Glenn Vallecillos, MD, FACS

Can I weigh over 225 pounds and have a tummy tuck.

+1

It is risky to undergo an anesthetic when the patient has a high BMI.  It is also difficult to lose weight to ideal. 

The patient should consider a lap banding obesity procedure.  When 80 pounds or so has been lost,  further liposuction or body contouring tucks can be done safely and effectively.

Can I weight 280 pounds and get a tummy tuck?

+1

Best results are obtained with tummy tucks when a patient is as close as possible to their ideal body weight before proceeding.  As such, if you weight 280 pounds, it would be best to lose at least 100 pounds before moving forward with this type of procedure.

However, if the excess skin is bothering you and you just can't weight, there is an alternative.  A technique known as a panniculectomy can remove excess skin without addressing muscle laxity.  You could certainly look into this procedure and then plan to have a definitive tummy tuck in the future when you are closer to your ideal body weight.

I hope this helps!

Web reference: http://www.beautybybuford.com/services/body/tummy-tuck-denver-colorado/

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Not a good candidate, sorry

+1

I would not recommend a tummy tuck.  Unless you are very tall (greater than 6'6") you are probably significantly overweight.  Patient in that situation not only have unsatisfactory results but also have the greatest risks of significant complications.  A 75 to 100 pound weight loss would be recommended before even considering the surgery.  Good luck, Dr. Schuster from Boca Raton.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Patient With Body Weight of 280 Is Not Good Candiate for TT

+1

An abdominoplasty or tummy tuck is an operation designed to remove excess skin from the abdomen and tighten the abdominal muscle.  It is not a treatment for obesity.  Patients who are significantly overweight at the time of their TT are a much greater risk of complications and also not likely to obtain near as good a result as someone at or near their ideal body weight.

Can I Weigh 280lb and Get a Tummy Tuck?

+1

You most likely are not a good candidate for tummy tuck. But you did not post a photo so very hard to advise. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski