How Do I Know if I've Damaged my Tummy Tuck?

I had a tummy tuck, lipo on hips, thighs, flanks, and umbilical hernia repair on Dec. 13th and lifted my garage door on Jan. 2nd. How do I know if I caused damage? I am not in pain but I can't tell if there is swelling under my bellybutton since that area was still somewhat swollen anyway.

Did I ruin my tummy tuck by lifting?

+2

In reality, you probably did not injure your tummy tuck but for your piece of mind I would recommend seeing your Plastic Surgeon for reassurance.  Early lifting is definitely not recommended but it is rare that a patient can actually undo a tummy tuck unless they do something extremely aggressive in the very early post-operative healing period.

I hope that helps!

Web reference: http://www.beautybybuford.com/services/body/tummy-tuck-denver-colorado/

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and swelling

+1

Hi,

Swelling under the belly button area to the pubis is normal and will exist even up to a year or more.  Be patient.  Tell you doctor and make sure that all is good but it would be very unlikely that lifting  a garage door after two weeks would hurt your long term result.

Albany Plastic Surgeon

Damage to Tummy Tuck Weeks after Surgery

+1

It is unlikely you did any significant damage to your tummy tuck.  But the best way to know is to have your plastic surgery see you for a postoperative visit.

Damage after a tummy tuck

+1

If you dd not feel anything "pop" or expand quickly, I doubt that you caused any  damage. If you are concerned then I suggest you speak to your doctor.

Damage to Tummy Tuck

+1

It is difficult to tell you via this blog.  The best advice I can give is to discuss this with your surgeon at your follow up appointment.

Dr. ES

Pain after tummy tuck

+1

I would recommend going to see your board - certified plastic surgeon in order to let them examine you and determine if any injury has occured.

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Avoid heavy lifting after surgery

+1

If you did not have any increased pain after lifting the door, it is unlikely that the muscle repair was damaged. Most likely it just some swelling but I would let your surgeon know what is going on so they can better evaluate you.

Most surgeons recommend avoiding strenuous exercise and heavy lifting for a period of 4-8 weeks after abdominoplasty to allow things to heal appropriately

It's almost impossible to damage the repair from a tummy tuck but it's not impossible.

+1

If patients engage in activity that would jeopardize the repair of the abdominal wall after a tummy tuck, pain would prevent them from completing the damage long before this occured.  Patients should be mindful of the possibility of damaging the repair by heavy lifting, but I doubt you have done anything of long term significance by opening a garage door.

Web reference: http://www.zubowicz.com/subpag,21-atlanta-abdominoplast.htm

Tummy tuck and liposuction

+1

It is doubtful that you damaged anything.  If you are uncertain, see your surgeon.  Be careful on lifting anything heavy for the first 6-8 weeks.

Lifting causing damage tummy tuck

+1

Lifting a garage door can be done slowly and without much strain, or it can be very strenuous depending on how you did it. If you did it carefully then you probably did not cause any damage. If you had no pain associated with the lift then you are probably OK. You should avoid this and have a family member do the lifting for you until your Doctor says you can do it.

Chapel Hill Plastic Surgeon