3 Weeks Post-Op Tummy Tuck and I Have Gained 5lbs - Is This Normal?

I also I am curious as to when I will be able to fit into my regular pants? I was a size 10 pre-op and am wondering when I could wear them again. I don't want to have to buy a biggers size pants.

Weight gain after a tummy tuck is normal - it's water retention

+1
weight gain after a tummy tuck is normal - it's water retention and it can take 2-4 weeks to go away.  So don't get discouraged by the weight gain.

Weight Gain and Swelling

+1
Swelling is common after surgery and you'll find that it adds the pounds as well. Allow yourself a couple of months for the majority of swelling to subside, as this is generally how long it takes. You'll find that your weight will gradually reduce as the swelling subsides.

Tips to help swelling:

drink fresh water and go to the washroom regularly
cut down on salt
leisurely walk around to keep your circulation going
wear your compression garment as advised
eat a healthy and balanced diet

Please talk to your surgeon if swelling is of particular concern, as they may be able to help you with advice specific to your situation. Best of luck!

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Reasons for weight gain after cosmetic surgery (tummy tuck)

+1

IT is very common to gain weight in the early post-operative period due to fluid retention associated with third spacing especially if liposuction is performed.  In rare instances diuretics are required. Make sure that you do not have a seroma or are wearing your compression garment improperly which can contribute to increased abdominal girth. It amy take 3-9 months for the selling to completely resolve.

Weight gain after surgery

+1

It is not uncommon for patients to gain a little weight just after surgery.  This may be due to fluid retention, inactivity, and possible increased food intake. As you get back into your routine more than likely the weight will come off.

Weight gain after a Tummy Tuck

+1

It is very common to gain weight after any surgery because of the changes in your body associated with the process of surgery itself.  Add to that a comprehensive procedure such as a tummy tuck and liposuction and you can develop even more swelling. 

But, rest assured, this swelling should subside over the next few weeks as your body returns to normal and you lose this extra water weight.  The best treatment for this is time!

I hope that helps!

Gregory A. Buford, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Bigger AFTER Tummy Tuck?!?

+1

Something many Plastic Surgeons overlook in the discussion of post-operative care after a tummy-tuck is the impact swelling and fluid retention will play on a patient's size.

It is very VERY common to not be able to wear the same size pants you did PRIOR to surgery for several weeks after a tummy tuck.

You get several liters of IV fluid during your surgery that your body will retain post-operatively due to inflammation and its resultant swelling. As your body heals, it will let go of that fluid, your swelling will subside, and you will start to approach your final size. 

Being sedentary after surgery due to pain, and not being allowed to exercise due to your muscle tightening doesn't help either...

William A. Wallace, MD, FACS
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Weight gain after tummy tuck

+1

In addition to the post operative swelling which you have, you are less active and use fewer calories than normal. When you get more active you will likely shed weight. Many of my patients go beyond that for one reason or another. Part of it may be due to a tighter stomach which makes it harder to eat a large meal.

Victor Au, MD
Chapel Hill Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after a TT lasts longer than you think

+1

I have both had a TT and done many of them.  I assure you that what you are experiencing is completely normal.  It will be several more weeks before you fit into those pre-op jeans.  I would estimate that it was six months before I considered all of my swelling gone.  The extra weight is the water your body is holding onto (the swelling).  Just be patient.  Your body is healing as it should.

Lori H. Saltz, MD

Weight gain after tummy tuck

+1

Many patients will gain weight after a tummy tuck, particularly if liposuction was done as well.  Give it some time and it will likely improve.

Samer W. Cabbabe, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

+1

T=Your body  will begin to get rid of the excess fluids soon.  The size of your pants may not change, depending on how much your waist size was reduced.

Shahin Javaheri, MD