5 Weeks Post-op Tummy Tuck, Why Do I Have a Burning Sensation Along Internal Suture Line?

I am almost 6 weeks post-op for an abdominoplasty with an umbilical hernia and muscle repair. During the past week and a half or so, I have been having burning/stinging sensations along the internal suture line as well as some abdominal muscle soreness. I have resumed all of my physical activity, but I am keeping exercise low to moderate until 8 weeks. I am wondering if these sensations are a normal part of healing, or if I am overdoing it and compromising my muscle repair. Thank You very much.

Symptoms 6 weeks following a tummy tuck

+2

What you are describing as regard to your symptoms is not uncommon following a tummy tuck. Some of this is related to the normal healing process whereas some is also related to your increase in physical activity. This activity can also put more traction on the suture line at times eliciting such symptoms.

As long as you don't have localized areas of redness, open wounds or drainage, you need not worry. If you do have questions in the future, you should contact your plastic surgeon for answers.

Tummy Tuck Recovery?

+2

Thanks for the question.  It is difficult to know exactly what is going on without examination. It is in your best interest to follow-up with your plastic surgeon with any new developments/sensations, especially if there are any signs of infection such as redness, discharge or fever.

Having said that, it is very likely that what you are experiencing is a normal part of the healing process. If you do find that the burning/stinging sensations increase after exercise and you may want to decrease activity level for a period of time. Your body may be telling you to slow it down a little bit.

Burning sensation along incision line likely normal

+2

If there is not redness or healing issues that you can see the sensation of tingling, itching, and sometimes burning along the incision line especially at around the 6 week time frame can be a normal part of the healing process.  It might also be a small part of the increased excercise/activity.  A little moderation of your activity would also likely be wise.  Massage your scars and consider using some of the scar creams such as ScarGuard or Mederma.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Burning sensation after a tummy tuck

+2

what you are feeling is very normal. The tissues are healing and the nerves are beginning to work again and all of it will get better with time and continued motion. Certainly wise to follow up with your surgeon but as you move more over the next few months, the stiffness and sensation will get better.

Julio Garcia, MD