Pictures of Tummy Tuck Without Muscle Tightening?

Does anybody have pictures of females who chose tummy tuck (mini or full) WITHOUT muscle tightening? Even better if the pictures are of women after pregnancy who decided not to have them tightened. I am considering a mini (I do not want a full) and I do not want my muscles tightened. I don't care if it's a "sub optimal" result in the eyes of the plastic surgeon. I mainly just want to get rid of the pouch of fat and some of the skin with as little invasiveness as possible...

Tummy Tuck

Without tightening of the muscles, the operation is not a tummy tuck, but a simple panniculectomy.  Seek pictures of panniculectomy for these results.

477 North El Camino Real
Encinitas, CA 92024

Here is a link from my website:

Here is a link from my website before and after photos.  There is no right or wrong answer in terms of tummy tuck procedures.  Some procedures will give you a better result than others based on how much laxity you have but in the end you will have to choose the procedure that is right for you.  If you have enough laxity for a full tummy tuck than that is usually the best course since your belly button will be rejuvenated as well.  Smaller amounts of laxity can be addressed with mini tummy tuck, endoscopic tummy tucks, and liposuction.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

8900 E Raintree Rd
Scottsdale, AZ 85260

Mini vs full abdominoplasty

With all due respect to my colleagues who feel the surgeon knows best, you are the one who has to go through the surgery and recuperation and live with the result. I do a number of mini-abdominoplasties and find that they give very satisfactory results IF there is excess skin and subcutaneous tissue below the belly button AND the muscles are tight. Technically this is a panniculectomy but I suspect that if you check out pictures for panniculectomy you will see pictures of patients who have lost a lot of weight, often over 100lbs, and I suspect that will not be helpful for you in your situation. With all due respect to you and your wishes, it is important that you listen to what your surgeon says as he/she is an expert and does have experience. You should find a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery with whom you feel comfortable discussing your concerns and wishes. Be open to the possibility that they may be unrealistic but your surgeon should be able to explain your options and what he/she feels is best for you. This process of discussion and agreement about surgery is called informed consent and is very important. Both you and your surgeon should feel comfortable with the plan. Good luck to you.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

920 Chestnut St
Yuba City, CA 95991

Pouch of fat on the lower abdomen

In many cases, the pouch or roundedness of the lower abdomen is due to the muscle being weak and the intra-abdominal contents pooching out, causing the pouch. In those cases, if the muscle is not repaired, you might get a little skin tightening with the skin removal and end up  looking almost the same. If it is just fat below the skin, then liposuction might be enough. Your surgeon should be able to tell if it is due to subcutaneous fat or intra-abdominal contents.

Julio Garcia, MD

6020 South Rainbow Blvd.
Las Vegas, NV 89118

Be careful what you wish for....

In answer to your question, "Does anybody have pictures of females who chose tummy tuck (mini or full) WITHOUT muscle tightening? Even better if the pictures are of women after pregnancy who decided not to have them tightened. I am considering a mini (I do not want a full) and I do not want my muscles tightened. I don't care if it's a "sub optimal" result in the eyes of the plastic surgeon. I mainly just want to get rid of the pouch of fat and some of the skin with as little invasiveness as possible..."

I would completely agree with Dr. Aldea... It is very important that you understand that while the procedure you describe may sound like a good idea to you at this time, it is also highly predictable that it will give you not just a "suboptimal" result, but a wierd looking one.

Let me put it to you this way- if a surgeon gave you exactly what you wanted, but the appearance of your abdomen drew the wrong kind of attention from everyone who saw you, would you be happy? Probably not. You would probably even blame your surgeon for your strange and unattractive appearance, completely forgetting that you yourself asked for the modification in the procedure that resulted in the strange appearance. 

The primary reason you don't see lots of photos of women who have had such a procedure is that even if a few of us have been misguided enough to agree to the performance of such a procedure, its outcome would not be something we would want others to see and judge our work by...

While I recognize that it is not what you were hoping to hear, I hope that you take it to heart and consider your options very carefully. Your long term happiness with your plastic surgery experience will undoubtedly be greater if you wait until you are ready (financially, emotionally, and from a recovery perspective) to have a procedure that will predictably result in a beautiful appearance.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

7009 Dr. Phillips Blvd.
Orlando, FL 32819

Muscle tightening and tummy tuck

I have had patients make the same request.  However, if weakness, known as diastasis exist, it would be poor surgical judgement not to correct it at the time of the tummy tuck.  The overall result would be more the sub optimal and lead to an unhappy patient.

Steven S. Carp, MD
Akron Plastic Surgeon

4031 Massillon Rd
Uniontown, OH 44685

Tummy tuck without muscle work can be done if you are a candidate

Your body shape and level of rectus muscle diastesis will dictate the procedure. The problem with not repairing the muscle is the eventual restretching of the lower abdominal skin.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

3901 Veterans Blvd
Metairie, LA 70002

Photos after tummy tuck

Photos can be misleading. I do not recommend making decisions based on photos.  Your surgeon should customize your surgery to fit your anatomy and desires. A patient who doesn;t have a muscle tightening will look different depending on what her anatomy is. You may or may mirror that patient's anatomy.

Robin T.W.Yuan, M. D.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

462 N. Linden Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90212

We need your photos.

Plastic surgeons train for years to know what is right for you. Any surgeon who does what you want, not what you need or is right for you is a fool. When patients have suboptimal results, they forget what they said and sue the doctor. See an experienced board certified plastic surgeon, and listen to their advice. You want a less tan optimal result, get a girdle.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

308 E 79th St
New York, NY 10075

Tummy Tuck without Muscle Tightening

Unfortunately,  it is not likely that you will find pictures  of tummy tuck  without muscle plication  done by well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.  As you said, the result would be “sub optimal” and not a result that the surgeon would be proud of or wish to display.

In my opinion, the mini tummy talk is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.
For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.
It is important  for patients seeking abdominal contouring surgery to work with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon to obtain advice (based on good ethics and judgment) to  improve  their chances of a successful outcome and minimize the need for further surgery.

8851 Center Drive
San Diego, CA 91942