4 Weeks Post-op - Should I Still Be Wearing Padding Between my Binder and Scar?

I am still wearing padding (combine ABD Pad) between my biinder (which is rough) and my scar. How long I should do this for and could this be causing the swelling in my belly? I am still very bloated above the cut-line. I find my binder very rough and am not sure what else I could put between the scar and binder to protect it? Thank you.

Padding Between Tummy Tuck Incision and Binder?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Your plastic surgeon will have specific suggestions for you. It's best to follow his/her advice given that he/she is responsible for your care.

Generally, I suggest the use of pads between the incision and binder to prevent irritation of the suture line. Around this time,  patients may switch from binder to compressive garment ( which is generally softer but still useful for a edema  control).

Compression after tummy tuck

+1

Thank you for the question.  Most patients do not wear padding under the abdominal binder at 3-4 weeks after their tummy tuck but each patient and each surgeon has his/her own specific ways of doing things.  If it feels good you can continue to do so.  Some patients will cut the top off of a T-shirt and have that as a lining between the skin and the binder.  The swelling or fullness that you are swelling can should be evaluated by your plastic surgeon to verify if its swelling, seroma, abdominal wall, or fat.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD