2 Weeks Post Op to my Breast Augmentation, When Can I Start Sleeping on my Side?

My back has been really sore laying on my back all the time. I do not even get enough sleeping because of pain. And whats the purpose of sleeping on your back for ? Just curious. Thank you for your answers , I appreciate your time !

Sleeping on Side after Breast Augmentation?

I would suggest that you run this question by your plastic surgeon given that he/she is ultimately responsible for your care and knows  your situation and the operation performed intimately.

In my practice, most patients are able to sleep on their side roughly 2 weeks after surgery (with supportive bra on).

8851 Center Drive
San Diego, CA 91942

When can you sleep on your side

Thanks for a good question.  The truth is every surgeon does does a little bit different operation than there colleagues, for example some make snug pockets and others are more aggressive.  Our post-operative philosophies are based on experience with our technique getting a good, predictable response--thus you should follow your surgeon's advise.  In my experience, I do not want patient's to sleep on their side for at least two weeks because I do not want lateral displacement of the implant (toward the armpit), and I also do not want patients to turn over from their side to their stomach-which is easy to do if you are already positioned on your side.  These are some of my reasons, but many of my colleagues may disagree.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

1870 Keller Parkway
Keller, TX 76248

When Can I Sleep On My Side After Breast Augmentation?

Dear Hiralpatel,

This is a good subject to ask your plastic surgeon since they will have their post-operative routine that works best for their patients. In my practice, I do not require the patients to sleep in any particular position after surgery but I do require them to wear a well-fitted, supportive bra for three to four weeks after surgery.  Give your plastic surgeon's office a call tomorrow and I hope you can get a good night's sleep soon.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

17300 N. Outer 40 Road
Chesterfield, MO 63005

Thank you for submitting ypur question. I tell my patients to sleep on their back a minimum of 4-6 weeks. Best wishes.  

Jeff Angobaldo, MD

5880 Ashmill Dr
Plano, TX 75024

Sleep on your back for 4-6 weeks.

Following breast augmentation, there’s always the potential for breast implants to shift and every effort should be made to avoid this problem.In the post-operative period, we recommend that patients sleep on their back for 4 to 6 weeks following surgery.
Sleeping on the abdomen or on the side in the early post-operative period has the potential to cause shifting of breast implants and should therefore, be avoided.Sleeping on the back is difficult for some patients and they often move to their side without knowing it.For these reasons, we recommend that patients sleep in a recliner.
After 6 weeks, we allow patients to resume all their normal activities without restrictions.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

8900 West Dodge Road
Omaha, NE 68114

Sleeping on back after surgery

I recommend that patients sleep on their back or side after surgery and wear their supportive sports bra or compression bra day and night for the first eight weeks. This is to minimize the risk of implant displacement and compromising the integrity of the incisions. However, please ask your surgeon for their advice since they may have different guidelines.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

362 Fairlawn Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M5M 1T6

Sleeping On Ones Side After Breast Surgery

Every surgeon is different with the post-op instructions. I believe that your safest bet is to consult with your surgeon as he/she knows the fullest details of your procedure.

Usually, to sleep on your side requires you wearing a supportive garment/bra. Usually, a breast augmentation patient can sleep on her side 2-3 weeks post-op depending on the level of recovery achieved.

Best of luck to you and thank you for your inquiry.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

496 Old Newport Blvd
Newport Beach, CA 92663

This is a great question for your surgeon, In our practice we usually tell our patients that after 2 weeks its ok to sleep on your side with the understanding that we don't want pressure on your incisions.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

9025 Wilshire Blvd.
Beverly Hills, CA 90211