2 Weeks Post Op to my Breast Augmentation, When Can I Start Sleeping on my Side?

My back has been really sore laying on my back all the time. I do not even get enough sleeping because of pain. And whats the purpose of sleeping on your back for ? Just curious. Thank you for your answers , I appreciate your time !

When can you sleep on your side

+2

Thanks for a good question.  The truth is every surgeon does does a little bit different operation than there colleagues, for example some make snug pockets and others are more aggressive.  Our post-operative philosophies are based on experience with our technique getting a good, predictable response--thus you should follow your surgeon's advise.  In my experience, I do not want patient's to sleep on their side for at least two weeks because I do not want lateral displacement of the implant (toward the armpit), and I also do not want patients to turn over from their side to their stomach-which is easy to do if you are already positioned on your side.  These are some of my reasons, but many of my colleagues may disagree.

When Can I Sleep On My Side After Breast Augmentation?

+2

Dear Hiralpatel,

This is a good subject to ask your plastic surgeon since they will have their post-operative routine that works best for their patients. In my practice, I do not require the patients to sleep in any particular position after surgery but I do require them to wear a well-fitted, supportive bra for three to four weeks after surgery.  Give your plastic surgeon's office a call tomorrow and I hope you can get a good night's sleep soon.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping on Side after Breast Augmentation?

+2

I would suggest that you run this question by your plastic surgeon given that he/she is ultimately responsible for your care and knows  your situation and the operation performed intimately.

In my practice, most patients are able to sleep on their side roughly 2 weeks after surgery (with supportive bra on).

Sleeping On Ones Side After Breast Surgery

+1

Every surgeon is different with the post-op instructions. I believe that your safest bet is to consult with your surgeon as he/she knows the fullest details of your procedure.

Usually, to sleep on your side requires you wearing a supportive garment/bra. Usually, a breast augmentation patient can sleep on her side 2-3 weeks post-op depending on the level of recovery achieved.

Best of luck to you and thank you for your inquiry.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Hello

+1

This is a great question for your surgeon, In our practice we usually tell our patients that after 2 weeks its ok to sleep on your side with the understanding that we don't want pressure on your incisions.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS