How Soon Can You Wear Sunglasses After Rhinoplasty?

Hi I just had my nose done a little over 3 weeks ago. A week after the surgery, the nurse at my follow up appointment said it was okay to wear sunglasses again. At first it hurt, but I started wearing them again about a week and half after my surgery. However, I've read online that you should wait at least four weeks! Now I'm so worried that I may have messed up my nose. Is that possible?? I keep on staring in the mirror and convincing myself that I've messed it up or made it crooked...

Wearing Sunglasses after Rhinoplasty

+1

I usually tell my patients not to wear sunglasses for 2 weeks after rhinoplasty and then use very light frames that avoid direct pressure on the nose. Listen to your body - if they irritate your nose, don't wear them. It is unlikely you did any harm.

Wearing sunglasses after rhinoplasty

+1

Depending on the type of rhinoplasty performed and whether or not any work was done on the nasal bones themselves, it is quite possible you did no damage to your nose by wearing sunglasses. Consult with your plastic surgeon just to make sure.

Glasses and Rhinoplasty

+1

I usually will consider allowing patients to wear glasses at the four week point.  Definitely they can 6 weeks after surgery.  This is based on if  osteotomies were done.  The best thing you can do is stop looking in the mirror and visit with your plastic surgeon to assure that you healing process is going well.

Good Luck.

Dr ES

Sunglasses After Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi deutschess,

By three weeks after rhinoplasty your nasal bones should be well healed, and it is okay to wear sunglasses, preferably light weight sunglasses.  Most likely you have not done damage to your nose, but see your rhinoplasty surgeon for exam and reassurance.  Good luck, enjoy your new nose, and be well.

Dr. P

Sunglasses Following Rhinoplasty

+1

It is possible unfortunately. I normally tell patients to avoid sunglasses for about 8-10 weeks following rhinoplasty where we have reshaped the bone or done any bridge work. The only time I clear them for wearing glasses before then is if we only performed a tip rhinoplasty. My concern is that the glasses can cause a shift in the underlying bone and/or cartilage, thereby compromising the surgical result. If your nose indeed has shifted slightly from the glasses, you can also remedy the situation by exercising the nasal bones back to the desired position. I would certainly consult with your rhinoplasty surgeon to help guide you in this process. Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.drhilinski.com/procedures/rhinoplasty-san-diego-ca/

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Wearing glasses 3 weeks after nose job (rhinoplasty)

+1

It really depends on what was done. If the only thing that was done was the tip or only rasping of the dorsum, wearing glasses will do no damage. However, if you had agressive osteotomy with infracture, then use of glasses could theoretically displace the bones if significant force was applied at 3 weeks. Keep in close contact with your doctor.