Augmented Rhinoplasty and Sinus Surgery at the Same Time?

I have a low bridge that I want to be higher and a bulbous nose that I want to me nicer shaped. I also want to be know if it will be ok to have a sinus surgery and rhinoplasty at the same time. Attached are the pictures. Any advice with materials and types of surgery would be very helpful. Thanks in advanced.

Combining a CLEAN operation with a CONTAMINATED operation may not be the best idea

+2

Regarding: " Augmented Rhinoplasty and Sinus Surgery at the Same Time?
I have a low bridge that I want to be higher and a bulbous nose that I want to me nicer shaped. I also want to be know if it will be ok to have a sinus surgery and rhinoplasty at the same time. Attached are the pictures. Any advice with materials and types of surgery would be very helpful
. "

To correct your nose tip and your low dorsum you would probably require the use of grafts (either your own cartilage or a combination of your own cartilage and outside grafts, either radiated cartilage from another human or man-made materials). Grafts are notoriously susceptible to becoming infected because they do not come with their own blood supply.

Although the sinus operation CAN be done at the same time as your nose operation, I would be leery of recommending that you do them together. By definition, your sinuses are not sterile and the operation is classified as a CONTAMINATED procedure. To prevent any direct or blood spread bacteria to your grafts I would advise you to have your sinus procedure first and when you are fully recovered to consider having your rhinoplasty.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Cosmetic and sinus surgery should not be combined

+1
I am in absolute agreement with Dr. Aldea. the risk of contamination and infection from combining the operations cannot and should not be minimized. Our responsibility, as surgeons, is to treat patients ethically and NOT to perform procedures in combination with ne another which we know, by experience and training, to present unnecessary risk.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Rhinoplasty and Sinus Surgery at Same Time

+1

Rhinoplasty and sius surgery are frequently done during the same operation. For augmentation I prefer to use the patient's own cartilage harvested from the septum, ears, or ribs rather than synthetic material such as Gortex, Medpor, or silicone.

Nasal augmentation and sinus surgery

+1

It is possible to augment the dorsum of the nose using either cartilage grafts or synthetic material, the former is usually preferable since it is your own tissue. Combining cosmetic rhinoplasty with sinus surgery may be feasible although depending on the exact procedures there may be an increased risk of infection.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Combining Rhinoplasty with Sinus Surgery

+1

Yes, it's very common to combine a rhinoplasty with sinus surgery.

However, each case is unique and your plastic surgeon may recommend not to combine procedures. Sinus surgery may involve many potential operations, such as septoplasty or turbinate surgery, among other things. Sinus surgery may be for chronic infection. As other plastic surgeons have mentioned, the main reason not to combine procedures is infection. If an artificial implant is used to build the bridge, then there may be a slightly higher risk of infection.

Only after a comprehensive evaluation can a rhinoplasty surgeon help determine appropriate options for you.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Simultaneous rhinoplasty and functional surgery

+1

It is very common to have sinus surgery or septal surgery for breathing problems done at the same time as cosmetic rhinoplasty. It allows for one recovery and often reduces the fees to the patient. The greatest concern is that if you are having an augmentation rhinoplasty at same time is to make sure that the implant is kept in a separate area from the intranasal or internal aspects of the nose to reduce the possibility of infecting the implant. I hope this information helps.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and sinus surgery

+1

It is common to have sinus surgery and rhinoplasty surgery performed at the same time.  This should not be a problem.

Rhinoplasty

+1

Sinus surgery and rhinoplasty can and is freqeuntly performed at the same time. Your own grafts are the preferable tissue sources and this can range from septal or ear or rib cartilage. 

I combine these frequently.

+1

I do not believe you are at any increased risk having sinus surgery at the same time as augmentation rhinoplasty. Actually, it is quite common to have these two surgeries performed at the same time. I would recommend you not have any synthetic materials placed in your dorsum, even without sinus surgery, because I believe these have a higher extursion rate. I would recommend using septal, rib or ear cartilage.

Theda C. Kontis, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Combining rhinoplasty with sinus surgery could pose a risk

+1

Individuals with chronic or intermittent sinus infections have an altered bacterial flora in the nose. The infections can be controlled with antibiotics and decongestants though if not, surgery to open the sinus and improve drainage may be the best option. We feel that it is best not to combine sinus surgery with rhinoplasty that will involve grafts for shaping the tip, or augmenting the nasal bridge. Grafts, and certainly nasal implants will have a better chance for success in the cleanest of circumstances, and combining the procedures may pose a risk.

peterejohnsonmd