How much Voluma, on average is used in each cheek for volume?

How much Voluma is used on average

This question the study for Voluma, the average patient received a total of almost 7 syringes of Voluma. This is an insane amount but the injectors were receiving the filler for free as part of the trial and the patients weren't paying. For the average patient, I would say at this point I am putting 1 or 2 syringes in for mild volume loss in the central face. The more volume loss you have, the more you will need injected into the three places in the cheek region.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Voluma Injections for Cheeks

In our experience we routinely placing at least 1 ml of Juvederm Voluma in each side of the face. This allows for a subtle, yet noticeable correction of midface aging in younger patients. In most situations another syringe or two would lead to the ideal or full correction. 

Sumit Bapna, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

How Much Voluma For Each Cheek

Generally, 1 syringe per side can give a good improvement with natural results. The amount of filler needed can vary greatly from person to person, so it is difficult to say without seeing a patient in person. Some patients with more volume loss may require more, and others with more subtle deficits may require less. You can always start off conservatively and add more later one. This product is longer lasting, so taking baby steps may prove to be beneficial.

Sometimes Less is More

I agree with so many of the responses already posted.  I generally use 1 cc of Voluma per cheek and I'm also fond of using a third syringe to fill the deep line in the chin that so often comes with aging of the face.

The ideal use of fillers is to make you look natural and refreshed, not "plumped up" or distorted.  And in the case of all fillers, often less is more.

You can always add more filler later if you want it, but start a bit smaller and see how you look before you "top off"

I tell patients that if they leave my office and their friends ask where they got their fillers, I've done a poor job.
If, on the other hand, their friends tell them they look great and did they spend a month on vacation, I've done it right!

Michael A. Greenberg, MD
Elk Grove Village Dermatologist

How Much Voluma is Used for Cheek Volume?

Voluma is an excellent and long lasting mid face filler.  In the FDA studies, they were using between 6-10 syringes of Voluma at the initial treatment and on average of 4 more at 1 month.  This is an extremely high amount of product.  This is not what I use at all.  I typically use 1 to 1.5 cc per cheek in the first session.  I like to see patients back at 1 month to see if they need more.  Voluma is very powerful at filling and lifting.  After attending the master's course for advance techinques for Voluma given by Dr. De Maio from Brazil, I have learned that the best place to start is lateral on the face, not in the area of the hollowness in the central face.  He explained that in the FDA study they started injecting medially (nearer the nose) and worked out laterally (toward the ear).  The best support is over the cheek bone.  This helps lift up the rest of the cheek tissue.  When you put the Voluma directly in the cheek not overlying the cheek bone it tends to make the cheek heavier and requires more product to get the same result.

Kent V. Hasen, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Voluma injections: how much?

Every patient is different.

During the initial studies carried out by the company to license the product, the injectors played around with a lot of product as they had a limitless product supply available to them at no cost. In practice, I usually give no more than two 1 cc syringes at a time.

William Numa, MD, FACS
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

How much Voluma per cheek

The amount of Voluma needed per cheek depends on your age, if you lost weight, your genetics etc. Your dermatologist or plastic surgeon can determine the right amount. For a young person, I would consider starting with 1/2 syringe per cheek. and for an older person 1-2 syringes per cheek. ~ Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

The amount of Voluma needed depends on the individual

The amount of Voluma used to restore cheek volume is entirely dependent on the unique characteristics of each individual patient. In general, the more product that is used, the more pronounced the effect and the longer lasting it is. On an average patient without too much volume loss, I use one syringe to each cheek as a typical starting point but this can vary greatly in either direction. Best to see a specialist for a recommendation that is tailored to your individual needs.

Douglas Wu, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

As people age, the cheek area loses volume, making the cheeks flatten out and the skin droop and sag. Voluma is a hyaluronic acid filler that is approved to temporarily correct age-related volume loss in the cheek area. It instantly provides smooth, natural-looking results that last up to two years with optimal correction. Most of my patients have been very happy with their results using Voluma, even given the higher cost for this filler. The biggest side effects have been bruising and swelling which may last a couple of days or up to a couple weeks.  The studies on Voluma used much higher volumes (7-8 ml) than we typically use for patients (2-3 ml) to get good results.

How much Voluma depends on your face

A thin-faced person in her thirties may see great results with 1 syringe. A heavy-set man in his sixties may need 6+ syringes!

People with skinny faces need less Voluma.  People with less sagging need less v\Voluma.

People with heavier faces need more Voluma to counteract the heaviness.  People with heavy and saggy faces need the most Voluma. 

So, the answer is: it depends.