Vertical Surgery Scar on Stomach Possible to Remove?

Hi, I'm 17 years old. About five years ago, I had a surgery on my stomach to remove a 15-pound tumor. It left me with an embarassing vertical scar that runs about three inches above my belly button and five inches below. I'm a very small Asian girl: 5'2" tall at 108 pounds. Is it possible to get rid of my scar?

Abdominal surgery scars

+1

I perform surgical scar revision for abdominal scars coupled with non surgical laser skin resurfacing to reduce textural problems. 

Depressed vertical scar on abdomen can be improved with revision

+1

Your scar may be improved by corrective surgery-it depends on the scar and ypou should consult a plastic surgeon. There will always be a mark but if the scar is depressed it may be improved.

Depression of the abdominal scar may be the result of adherence of the scar to the underlying muscle fascia and or loss of the normal fat beneath the scar due to injury.ee the link below to see photos of one result

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Scar cannot be removed, but may be improved

+1

There is no way to remove the scar completely. However, if the scar is thick or wide, a plastic surgeon may be able to revise the scar to make it look less noticeable. The best way to determine if this can be done is to see a plastic surgeon and let him evaluate the scar and tell you if he can improve it. If the scar is made thin enough, it may not bother you as much.

Parham Ganchi, PhD, MD
Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Vertical scafr on abdomen

+1

There is no way to get rid of the scar completely at this time. In the future, after having children, you may want a full tummy tuck and the majority of the scar can then be converted to sit transversely in your underwear line.

You can not remove the scar completely

+1

You have a vertical scar and it goes above the belly button. The only option at at time is application of silicone gel sheet if you have thick scar. If you have wide scar the scar revision can help to minimize the scar but it will not remove it completely. 

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon