What Can Be Done for Pulled-in Surgery Scars?

I had a lumpectomy and removal of 3 lymph nodes and radiation on the left side that left me with pulled-in, nasty scars, and a nipple that faces to the side. A surgeon did a lift (under the breast has bad keloid scar) on the right side and filled in where the scars where pulling in. Now it's starting to pull-in again in the same area. What can be done to get me back to a normal look.

Retracted and depressed lumpectomy scars on the breast.

+1

Retracted or depressed scars can result from scar tissue or an absence of volume.  I would begin by examining the area and determining the extent of volume loss.

Correcting pulled in scars

+1

Pulled in or retracted scars are not uncommon after lumpectomy and radiation. When the breast tissue is removed, this creates a space and scar tissue that can cause the skin to pull in. Also, the radiation can lead to more tightening of the tissues and further pulling in of the skin. Your surgeon needs to evaluate the scar and fill in any missing tissue and/or release any tight scars inside that may be pulling your skin.

Parham Ganchi, PhD, MD
Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Pulled in scars after breast surgery

+1

You may need more volume to fill in the defect. This is usually done with either local or distant pedicled flaps or free flap.  You should be evaluated by your surgeon for these options.

Breast reconstruction with your own tissue

+1

You have pulled in scar because the breast tissue was removed and the remaining breast tissue was radiated. The best treatment is to bring healthy new tissue from another part of your body. This can be done by a free flap breast reconstruction . There is another novel treatment that offered by Dr.Khouri in Miami . He uses Brava tissue expander for 4 weeks and then performs fat grafting. I been to see him do this procedure. I have started to offer this to my patients and been very happy with the results so far.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon