Do UV Rays Penetrate Through Clothing?

hi im a 25 yr old male and have been good with my skin care using spf whenever im outside facing the sun for yrs now. what i am now paranoid about is that uv rays penetrating my curtains and clothing. i feel like all my hard work in protecting "exposed skin" has gone down the drain. am i really expected to put on a gluggy sunscreen under my clothing?. and as for my bedroom. i have coral colour curtains which do cover the sun and are always closed but they do let natural daylight in but not sun

Consider Sun Protective Clothing

+1

This is a great question. Few people realize that sun penetrates your clothing.  A t-shirt provides an SPF of about 7 and a wet t-shirt provides and SPF of about 2-3. Sun protective clothing is a great way to practice 'safe sun' -- that is, enjoy the benefits of a wonderful sunny day, but avoid the harmful effects of the sun. The well known clothing dye company, Rit, also makes an additive that you can pour into the washing machine that impregnates your regular clothing with sun protective properties.

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.