Help! Upturned Tip 4 Days Post Rhinoplasty

I had rhinoplasty 3 days ago. Had a good nose already, and wanted only very minor shaping done - a small bony bit removed from the right side of my bridge, and asked for advice on my tip - which i felt wasn't supported when i smiled. Surgeon suggested a cartilage implant in the tip (taken from my ear). I said I was concerned as I didn't want an upturned nose. He said that, at most, it would raise the tip 1mm. Now, day 3 and I have a pig nose, and totally distressed. Can I get it removed??

3 days post rhinoplasty

+2

Hi there.  It looks normal for 3 days postop.  IT has been taped high under the splint to hold it up and your lip is swollen.

Don't worry. You won't have a pig nose.  YOu're just 3 days post op that's all and you look normal for that.

Good luck. 

Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

The Results From Rhinoplasty Require Patience

+1

It is common practice to heavily tape the tip of the nose after a rhinoplasty to help control swelling. It is virtually impossible to judge at this point how the shape of your nose will turn out. How the tip appears with the tape on is a false indication of the outcome. Even when the tapes come off, the tip may still initially look a little high. It is going to take months before you can judge the shape of the tip of your nose. You should not really critique before 6 months after surgery. Rhinoplasty requires great patience and tolerance from the patient as the final result is an evolving process not an instantaneous one.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Unhappy

+1

At this point it appears that your tip is being held up by the tape. Wait until all dressings are off and a little time has passed. Consult your sugeon.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

It's very common for the tip of your nose to look too high right after surgery

+1

Right before I send all rhinoplasty patients home after surgery I warn them that when they look in the mirror, the tip of their nose may look too high or "piggy." This results from stitches inside as well as from the tape we use on the outside to support the nasal tip cartilages as they heal. So, don't worry if your nose tilts upward immediately following rhinoplasty. The tip may drop for up to a number of weeks to months after surgery. I tell patients to pretend they are vampires: avoid mirrors for a month!

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Upturned nose 3 days after Rhinoplasty

+1

At 3 days after your Rhinoplasty with your nose taped to the point that you can't even see the tip...I think making any assessment of the result is just not realistic.  Patience and faith in yiur Rhinoplasty surgeon is warranted until you see the final results.  The era graft can be removed at 6 months if you indeed have an over rotated tip as a result of this grfat placement.