Clear Fluid Draining After Rhinoplasty. Is This Normal?

I had septoplasty, turbinate reduction, and rhinoplasty yesterday afternoon. The bleeding slowed down considerably but now I have clear fluid draining. It looks clear but tinted with red blood. Is this normal? Other details: I was getting over a cold and still had a bit of a runny nose yesterday. I have 2 black eyes that are almost swollen shut. I haven't seen anything quite this bad posted here so I am not sure if that is normal or something worth mentioning with the fluid draining.

Clear

+2

You are seeing the change from bleeding to serous drainage. Tne swollen eyes will come down . Be patients. It unlikely anything bad is going such as a cerebral fluid leak from the cribriform plate

Is it normal after Rhinoplasty to have clear fluid drainage?

+1

Yes, it's typical to see clear fluid draining from the nose during the first post op week following a Rhinoplasty.  the fluid is the nasal mucosa reacting to the surgical trauma.  This should decrease in the subsequent week or so.   As always, you should discuss your concerns  with your Rhinopplasty surgeon.

Clear Drainage after Rhinoplasty

+1

Clear drainage after a Rhinoplasty could be normal or a sign of a serious problem. You need to be seen immediately by your operating surgeon. Call now.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

+1

Please call your operative surgeon to answer these post operative questions. Drainage is the norm but to get the correct responses always as your chosen surgeon. 

Clear drainage after rhinoplasty

+1

Clear drainage after a rhinoplasty and septal repair can be a serious sign. The clear fluid can come from a tear in tissue high up at the base of the brain, called cerebral spinal fluid or CSF. Symptoms such as headache only when standing are common. The leaks repair themselves for most, though there is a danger of infection so you should contact your surgeon right away to sort things out.

peterejohnsonmd

Clear Fluid Draining after Nasal Surgery

+1

Blood drainage after nasal surgey is normal.  Clear drainage is a concern because it may represent a leakage of CSF fluid.  Although uncommon, it can occur after septoplasty.  This is something that your surgeon needs to know about right away.

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Clear fluid after rhinoplasty

+1

You need to call your doctor as soon as possible. There are some questions that are better addressed by your own physician and not through the internet.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon