Upper Lip Extremely Swollen on One Side 27 Hours After Juvederm Lip Injections. Normal? (photo)

I have been icing. I did have this treatment about 18 months ago and the Dr. thinks some filler was left over from first time, but not much. I do recall a similiar over swelling but this time it seems extreme. Im uncomfortable and feel unsightly. Please help me determine if I need to return to the Doctor ASAP or if I should wait another 24 - 48 hrs. I do recall more needle injections on the effected side, is this simply vascular trauma that will heal on its own?

Swelling After Juvederm

+1
You will probably experience some swelling, redness, discomfort and possibly bruising during the first few days following the injection. Most of this settles down within 3 days. Occasionally, the swelling can last up to one week. It is concentrated in the area of injection. Some tips to deal with the swelling:

1. Cool, soft, flexible ice packs may be used (or small packs of frozen peas) to keep the swelling down. Place the ice pack on the treated area(s) for 15-20 minutes at a time, 3 or 4 times per day.
  2. Keep your head elevated and use several pillows at night to help diminish the swelling.
  3. Avoid exercising strenuously, going out into the sun, exposing yourself to cold, or drinking alcohol the day of the treatment.

Lip swelling after Juvederm

+1

The lips are very sensitive to injection and often swell significantly after Juvederm or other filler placement.  Icing is a good idea.  It may take 1-2 weeks for the swelling to completely resolve, so don't panic.

Matheson A. Harris, MD
Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon