Upper Lip Extremely Swollen on One Side 27 Hours After Juvederm Lip Injections. Normal? (photo)

I have been icing. I did have this treatment about 18 months ago and the Dr. thinks some filler was left over from first time, but not much. I do recall a similiar over swelling but this time it seems extreme. Im uncomfortable and feel unsightly. Please help me determine if I need to return to the Doctor ASAP or if I should wait another 24 - 48 hrs. I do recall more needle injections on the effected side, is this simply vascular trauma that will heal on its own?

Swelling After Juvederm

+1
Most swelling resolves in about three to five days, but it can last up to two weeks. Bruising will also go away in this time. While you can go back to work right after your treatment, your appearance may be affected by swelling. You should also refrain from drinking alcohol, smoking, performing vigorous physical activity or extreme temperatures for the rest of the day to help facilitate your recovery.

Lip swelling after Juvederm

+1

The lips are very sensitive to injection and often swell significantly after Juvederm or other filler placement.  Icing is a good idea.  It may take 1-2 weeks for the swelling to completely resolve, so don't panic.

Matheson A. Harris, MD
Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon