Post Juvederm Bruising- How Long Will It Last? Can I Speed Healing?

I had two syringes of Juvederm two days ago. My doctor said nothing about avoiding aspirin, alcohol, vitamins or NSAIDS and now I have very obvious bruising around my mouth and nasolabial folds! I can't even cover it with makeup so I am very unhappy with the results. My question now is how long can I expect this horrible bruising to last and is there anything I can do to speed the healing?

Bruising and healing after Juvederm treatment

+2

Bruising around the mouth and nose area is quite common after injections. I always tell my patients to avoid aspirin, alcohol, NSAIDs, herbals (G's: Ginkgo, Garlic, Ginseng) at least one week before treatment. If a bruise develops, it usually takes about a week to resolve. The best advice is to find a concealer, such as Dermablend, to hide the bruise during this time. Hang in there! Miriam Hanson MD.

Austin Dermatologist

Bruising after juvederm

+2

It is not uncommon to bruise after juvederm and taking things like fish oil, aspirin and certain supplements certainly can increase the likelihood of this happening. By next week your bruising should have subsided and hopefully you will be happy with the results. Tincture of time

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Arnica montana may be helpful.

+2

Some surgeons "swear by" Arnica montana, and it may help resolution of bruising a bit quicker. Other than that, time is your best friend. Obviously avoid any blood thinners for a week or so.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Bruising from Juvederm is normal

+2

Bruising from any fillers is normal, and really should be expected. I'm sorry your doctor didn't let you know this because it is something people should know and be prepared for. Remember you are putting a gel formula into your skin, so bruising and swelling can occur quite easily! If you continue to ice, don't press on it!, and avoid aspirin that will definitely help. You can also take Arnica, which is a natural topical or pill formulation that is supposed to help with swelling and bruising. Its effects are kind of minimal, especially if not started prior to the injections, but hey, it may help. You can get Arnica for about $15 at a natural store or Whole Foods. Bruising should get better over the next few days and be gone by about 7-10 days. You should be able to apply makeup easily as the bruising subsides and gets to that yellowish coloring. Sorry you weren't prepared for this.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Fillers and Bruising

+1
I agree with the answers above - bruising can be common after filler injections, particularly in patients who routinely take aspirin, herbal supplements (including garlic, ginseng, etc). If you tend to be an easy bruiser, I highly suggest taking/using Arnica Montana prior to any procedure. It's a non-prescription product that can be found in a tablet, ointment, cream or gel formulation. This will cut down bruising considerably but also speed up healing post-bruise. Make sure you mention to your practitioner that you have been using Arnica!

Hope this helps!
- Dr. Krishnan

Lavanya Krishnan, MD
San Francisco Dermatologist

Bruising After Juvederm Injection

+1
I would recommend using arnica gel, which is a herbal remedy that can help to minimize bruising. You'll need to wait for your body to heal itself, and this usually takes one or two weeks.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Bruising after Juvederm

+1

The duration of bruising after a blood vessel is pierced during a filler injection varies from 5 days up to 2 weeks. Various factors make you more prone to bruising such as medications (e.g. coumadin, aspirin, ibuprofen), vitamins (e.g. Vitamin E), ginseng, green tea, gingko biloba etc. Applying ice during and immediately after your treatment can reduce risk of bruising.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Treatment of bruising after Juvederm

+1

There is little that is proven to hasten the resolution of bruises. Arnica montana has never been shown to be better than placebo. In the future, things to avoid for at least 10 days prior to injection include non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) or naproxen (Aleve), aspirin, vitamin E, omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil), licorice, garlic, ginger, ginkgo, and other herbal supplements. The degree of bruising from filler injections may also be affected by injection techniques such as fan like injections, higher injection volumes, and more rapid injection times.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon