Post Juvederm Bruising- How Long Will It Last? Can I Speed Healing?

I had two syringes of Juvederm two days ago. My doctor said nothing about avoiding aspirin, alcohol, vitamins or NSAIDS and now I have very obvious bruising around my mouth and nasolabial folds! I can't even cover it with makeup so I am very unhappy with the results. My question now is how long can I expect this horrible bruising to last and is there anything I can do to speed the healing?

Bruising and healing after Juvederm treatment

Bruising around the mouth and nose area is quite common after injections. I always tell my patients to avoid aspirin, alcohol, NSAIDs, herbals (G's: Ginkgo, Garlic, Ginseng) at least one week before treatment. If a bruise develops, it usually takes about a week to resolve. The best advice is to find a concealer, such as Dermablend, to hide the bruise during this time. Hang in there! Miriam Hanson MD.

Austin Dermatologist

12319 N MoPac Expy
Austin, TX 78758-2403

Bruising after juvederm

It is not uncommon to bruise after juvederm and taking things like fish oil, aspirin and certain supplements certainly can increase the likelihood of this happening. By next week your bruising should have subsided and hopefully you will be happy with the results. Tincture of time

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

521 Montgomery Hwy
Vestavia Hills, AL 35216-1876

Bruising from Juvederm is normal

Bruising from any fillers is normal, and really should be expected. I'm sorry your doctor didn't let you know this because it is something people should know and be prepared for. Remember you are putting a gel formula into your skin, so bruising and swelling can occur quite easily! If you continue to ice, don't press on it!, and avoid aspirin that will definitely help. You can also take Arnica, which is a natural topical or pill formulation that is supposed to help with swelling and bruising. Its effects are kind of minimal, especially if not started prior to the injections, but hey, it may help. You can get Arnica for about $15 at a natural store or Whole Foods. Bruising should get better over the next few days and be gone by about 7-10 days. You should be able to apply makeup easily as the bruising subsides and gets to that yellowish coloring. Sorry you weren't prepared for this.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

8937 W Sahara Ave
Las Vegas, NV 89117

Bruising after Juvederm

Sorry to hear about the bruises.  In our practice, we ask patients to come back if they bruise, as we can break up the bruise to help it pass more quickly using intense pulse light and other treatments to stimulate the lymphatics.  I also recommend using Arnica as this can also help the bruise pass more quickly.

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

5061 FM 2920
Spring, TX 77388

Bruising after Juvederm

I'm very sorry that you're experiencing bruising as a result of your recent treatment. Unfortunately the medications you were taking do increase the severity of postoperative bruising. It can take 1-2 weeks for bruising to resolve fully. I would not recommend the use of massage given that you recently had filler injections. Some patients have good luck with Arnica, an herbal supplement that is supposed to help clear bruising quicker.

Rachel Streu, MD
Ann Arbor Plastic Surgeon

5333 McAuley Drive
Ann Arbor, Mi 48106

Can I speed the healing after Filler and Juvederm injections?

Thanks for the question, it is a great one.

There is no way to STOP bruising, but we can try. I recently wrote an editorial discussing this. I reviewed the literature and studies to see what works and what doesn't. I also go over ideas to help speed it up. I hope it helps.

James P. Bonaparte, MD, MSc, FRCSC
Head and Neck Surgery
practicing in Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Assistant Professor, University of Ottawa
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

James Bonaparte, MD, MSc, FRCSC
Ottawa Facial Plastic Surgeon

1919 Riverside Drive
Ottawa, Ontario K1H1A2

Bruising After Juvederm

I usually recommend that my patients avoid aspirin, NSAIDs, vitamin E, fish oil, and any blood thinners 2 weeks prior to injections to reduce the chances of bruising. Taking arnica a few days prior can help reduce bruising as well. Sometimes bruising may occur regardless, and you can usually cover it with some good concealer and foundation. Topical and/or oral Arnica can aid in healing the bruising after treatment as well. The bruising should subside in about a week, or possibly slightly longer depending on the extent of the bruising.

Steven H. Williams, MD

4000 Dublin Blvd
Dublin, CA 94568

Duration for Post Juvederm Bruising

Bruising around the mouth and nose area is quite common after injections. It is wise to avoid blood thinner prior to procedure. The duration of bruising should be about two weeks. Arnica may be a product to use to assist in the healing.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

1501 Forest Hill Boulevard
West Palm Beach, FL 33406

Fillers and Bruising

I agree with the answers above - bruising can be common after filler injections, particularly in patients who routinely take aspirin, herbal supplements (including garlic, ginseng, etc). If you tend to be an easy bruiser, I highly suggest taking/using Arnica Montana prior to any procedure. It's a non-prescription product that can be found in a tablet, ointment, cream or gel formulation. This will cut down bruising considerably but also speed up healing post-bruise. Make sure you mention to your practitioner that you have been using Arnica!

Hope this helps!
- Dr. Krishnan

Lavanya Krishnan, MD
San Francisco Dermatologist

77 Van Ness Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94102

Bruising After Juvederm Injection

I would recommend using arnica gel, which is a herbal remedy that can help to minimize bruising. You'll need to wait for your body to heal itself, and this usually takes one or two weeks.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

362 Fairlawn Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M5M 1T6