Will my Asymmetric Breasts from Breast Implants Even out Eventually?

I recently had silicone breast implants about 7 weeks ago. I have the left breast which is fuller more side cleavage and the nipple is higher than on the right side its not as full and the nipple is much lower.

The right breast had problem closing the incision which was in the nipple. Will it even out? I also have rippling underneath the right breast but only when I bend forward. Thanks!

Asymmetry may have existed before augmentation

+3

Discuss your concerns with your surgeon. It is almost certain that the asymmetry existed prior to surgery, only on a smaller and less visible scale and should be visible on your pre op photos. In a real sense, what you BRING into the o.r. is what you GET BACK--only larger.

Bronx Plastic Surgeon

Many causes of asymmetry after breast augmentation

+3

Post-operative asymmetry is dependent on many things, most importantly, the presence and nature of asymmetry pre-op. It is most common and natural to have some asymmetry of the breasts, and this can be related to size, dimension, chest wall (i.e.ribs and muscle), degree and location of laxity or sagging, position of nipple relative to breast and relative to your chest, presence of scoliosis, etc.

It is also very common for breast implants to sit asymmetrically once implanted by the very nature of the anatomical dissection and the unknown and uncontrollable factors of tissue relaxation, capsular contractures, and gravity Some asymmetries can be improved, some will be worsened, and some will require trade-off (for example, making breast mounds symmetric in size and location at the price of asymmetry in nipple position.

The reason why you have asymmetry can only be determined by examining you pre-operatively to see what you began with. That will help a discerning surgeon to determne why you are asymmetric now and whether this will improve with time and/or require surgical correction or require you to accept imperfections in your result.

If you had a fuller but tigher left breast and a more saggy loose right breast, that might explain your relative roundness and fullness on the left and your rippling on the right with the lower nipple position. In any case, it would pay to wait until the tissue accommodate the implant possibly 3-6 months before contemplating any revision. I suppect that you will always have to fight some asymmetry.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

+2
Thank you for the question. The breast asymmetry that you are referring is commonly experienced, early in the postoperative period, after breast augmentation surgery. Often, breast implants “settle” at different rates. Of course, online consultants will not be able to  reassure you adequately;  your plastic surgeon, after in person examination will be your best resource for advice and/or reassurance.   Ultimately, I think that only time will tell whether the breast symmetry will improve over the course of the first several months after the procedure was performed.

Of course, generally speaking, patient should be aware that absolute symmetry of the breasts is rarely present before or after surgery;  hopefully, the degree of breast asymmetry that you experience in the long-term will  not be bothersome.  My patients have to tolerate me saying:  “sisters, not twins” or "breasts are like snowflakes, each one pretty, but different” during each visit.

For precise answers to questions regarding returning to exercise, you may wish to request an earlier than  already scheduled follow-up with your plastic surgeon.Best wishes. 

Asymmetry Following Breast Augmentation

+1

Your breast asymmetry appears to be related to an abnormality of the underlying chest wall. Your picture suggests differences in shoulder height, hip position and rotation of the chest. These findings suggest the possibility of scoliosis. In this situation, perfect symmetry may not be possible and further surgery may not be the solution to your problem.

It’s not unusual for patients to note some asymmetry following breast augmentation surgery. This asymmetry occurs for a variety of reasons. In some cases, it’s transient, resulting from muscle spasm and swelling. Asymmetry under these circumstances tends to resolve with time. In other cases, it may be related to implant malposition, in which case correction might involve revisional surgery.

In some cases, it may be due to baseline asymmetry of the breast or underlying chest wall. When asymmetry is related to the breast tissue, correction can usually be accomplished with various maneuvers designed to adjust breast volume.

Unfortunately, when asymmetry is related to the chest wall, the asymmetry may be improved, but in most cases it’s not totally corrected. Under these circumstances, surgical procedures are often performed to disguise the underlying deformity. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Breast Asymmetry: Before and After Augmentation

+1

While it is impossible to know with certainty without seeing your pre-op photos, you may have had some asymmetries prior to the surgery. Breast augmentation surgery can actually accentuate nipple asymmetry. As for the rippling, this may be due to underfilling of a saline implant that had a base diameter that was wider than it should have been. However, this is rare with silicone implants and what you might be experiencing is a “double bubble” sign which can occur following placement of a large implant beneath insufficient breast tissue or by violation of the inframammary fold when an overly large submuscular pocket is created. As it typically takes 6 months for implants to settle into their final position, it is too early at this point to determine if these asymmetries will resolve. As your plastic surgeon knows exactly where the implants were placed and how, you should run these good questions by him.

Jeffrey Weinzweig, MD

Improving breast asymmetry after breast augmentation

+1

Your breasts seem to have significant edema postoperatively.  This is normal and will resolve with time.  Asymmetry of the nipples and areola, however, may be preexisting and may not be entirely corrected after surgery. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Breast asymmetry: time and managment with implants for augmentation

+1

SEE VIDEO BELOW:

It often takes 6-9 months for breasts to settle. This can be especially true if interventions to correct pre-existing asymmetry.

If I have performed breast asymmetry operations, I will typically ask patients to wait at least 6-9 months before contemplating any revisionary procedures.

Implant changes

+1

It would be interesting to see your pre-op photos, but more than likely you have asymmetry. The implants will settle with time and you have to be a bit patient. This process can take several months. Also in terms of rippling in the lower pole, this is can happen when you do not have a lot of soft tissue coverage. Most implants can be palpated there because if they were placed in a submuscular pocket the muscle would have been detached at that spot. Definitely review your concerns with your surgeon.

Your implants will settle

+1

Bmoral,

There are some asymmetries visible in your photo. First, I would return to your surgeon and ask to see your pre-surgery photos. Some of the asymmetries may have been pre-existent. That is not to say they are not correctable. Wait another 4 months for the tissues to relax and the implants to settle. You may be happy with your result at that time. Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Don't rush into any revisions.

+1

bmoral85,

It is hard to comment on your results without seeing your before pictures as well. However, your right implant looks like it is riding higher than the left. The results in less volume filling the lower portion of the right breast, so when you lean forward, you are experiencing rippling. Also, the diameter of the implants used look like they are too wide for your body type. I agree that you may benefit from a moderate profile plus or high profile implant if you want the same volume but smaller diameter. Don't rush into any revision surgery. You may end up making things worse. Wait for the tissues to completely settle and the swelling to completely resolve before making any revisions. This could take 6 months to a year. Good luck.

David Shafer, MD