Link Between Fibromyalgia and Saline Breast Implants?

I'm 38 years old.  Started suffering from lots of aches and fatigue few years after my breast augmentation with saline implants. There is a Dr. in Atlanta, GA who confirms that there is a correlation between autoimmune problems and implants, so I'm wondering if anyone knows of a correlation between fibromyalgia and saline breast implants. 

No scientific evidence supports link between implants and fibromyalgia

Auto immune diseases are something that has received a great deal of attention when it comes to breast implants.

There has been a significant amount of research trying to document a connection. None has ever been shown.

That being said, if you're convinced that your implants are the cause you can have them removed. Just be prepared for no improvement in symptoms, although it may help your peace of mind.

No documented fibromyalgia link after many years of study

After many years of looking at the link between breast implants (saline and silicone), there has been no conclusive evidence of a link between any types of connective tissue disorders and breast implants. I would be very skeptical of any one study from any one individual that contradicts all of this other research. In the scientific arena, it is critical that any important finding be confirmed by repeated studies at other facilities. If this can't be done, then the findings in the original study become much more unreliable.

Despite this, I have had a few personal cases where the symptoms have resolved or improved subtantially after removal of the implants. It may simply that the patient felt better with them out from a peace of mind standpoint, but that has been helpful. Nonetheless, I'd tend to discourage removal unless the patient is desperate and understands that nothing may change afterwards.

Some really good info is available at Breast Implant, by the way...

Brian K. Brzowski, MD
Ogden Plastic Surgeon

There's no link I am aware of

There have been extensive research efforts to determine the potential link between implants and connective tissue or autoimmune diseases. None has been able to determine a link and that is why the FDA brought out the gel implants a couple of years ago. If you have fibromyalgia, you would have most likely had it regardless of your implants.

It is all manufactured by lawyers and the press

There are no studies showing any correlation between implants and autoimmune disease or fibromyalgia. This is all a controversy manufactured by trial lawyers fueled by sensationalism in the press. I would invite whatever doctor you talked with to defend his position and back up his facts. While you may have fibromyalgia, it is not due to the implants - it is a just an unfortunate coincidence.

David Shafer, MD

Breast implants -saline or silicone - DO NOT cause any diseases.

To marieal,

Hi! I have been an implant investigator and the safety of breast implants has been studied for decades. I can assure you that there is no link between implants and auto-immune or any other disease. If you do have fibromyalgia, it is just an unfortunate coincidence. Lots of people without implants get fibromyalgia.

The bad stuff you have heard is "junk science", perpetrated by contingency fee lawyers and their hired doctors who have made millions of dollars in lawsuits.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Thank you for your question. There is no correlation between breast implants and  autoimmune diseases or fibromylagia.  Sorry that you are experiencing your symptoms.  Best to continue close followup with your primary care physician. Best Wishes. 

Fibromyalgia and Breast Implants

Most patients coming to the office for augmentation mammoplasty with fibromyalgia have already been diagnosed with that disorder. Usually they have been evaluated thoroughly by a rheumatologist or primary care physician. Studies have been done that show no link between fibromyalgia or any other connective disorders with breast implants. However, it is important to establish the presence of such a disorder prior to the placement of implants, in order to avoid any confusion postoperatively. Usually patient recovery is not much different than expected, in regards to the limitations and discomfort. The final results have always been satisfactory.

John J. Heieck, MD (retired)
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

No connection saline implants to fibromyalgia

There is absolutely no evidence of any link between saline implants and any autoimmune or connective tissue disease. I believe that you have found the last hold out in Atlanta that still believes that there is a connection.

No studies linking fibromyalgia and breast implants

This along with many other claims of causation/association between implants (silicone gel mainly) and various systemic diseases/conditions have been ruled out by years of good scientific studies. The docor who is not making the claims will undoubtedly charge you a lot of money and find something wrong.

He may be a professional medmal witness who gets paid a lot of $$$ to do tests and give testimony--even though what he is saying has no basis in science or fact.

Having said that, you may still opt to have the implants removed, if for no other reason than for peace of mind. This may or may not change things for you regarding the fibromyalgia.

No link between fibromyalgia and implants

There is no direct link that has ever been found between fibromyalgia and breast implants--either silicone or saline. The only relationship is that women of your age commonly get breast implants and also fibromyalgia. There are many women with fibromyalgia without implants.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD