Will 200 Cc's Make a Difference in Cup Size?

I currently have 650cc's Saline high profile implants. I am 5'3 and weigh 120lbs. I would like to replace with 800 high profile Saline implant filled to 850. Will the 200 more cc's make that much of a difference, cup size wise?

Implant cup size

+4

Yes, 200 cc's will make a difference, but I think they will be too big for your frame.  You are a small woman and even the 650's  are probably too big.  Remember, the larger you go, the more unnatural they will look and feel, and may result in earlier sagging.

200 cc would likely make a difference

+3

Dizzle,

200 cc would likely make a difference, but think carefully before adding even high volume implants. In addition to adding additional weight, you will be stretching out your tissues considerably.

David Shafer, MD

170 to 200 cc added is equal to one cup size

+3

A general rule of thumb for cup size is that every 170 to 200 cc of volume added is equal to one cup size increase. That really applies to the mid range implant volumes. You will see a difference, and it will probably be somewhere between a half to full cup size difference. Going that large, however, will most likely distort your breast tissue permanently.

Robert M. Jensen, MD
Medford Plastic Surgeon

Will 200cc make a difference in size?

+2

It is very difficult to say what you cup size will be with an increase of 250cc.  In regards to breast size, the more breast surgery I do the more I realize that there is no correlation between the size of implant and resulting cup size.  This may have to do with several factors including: the amount of breast volume the patient starts with, the shape of the patient's chest wall (concave or convex), the type and model of breast implant selected (saline/silicone  and low/moderate/high profile), bra  manufacturer variance  in cup sizes, the  degree  of filling of the cup  with breast tissue,  and the subjective differences in patients perceptions of cup size.

If surgery is decided upon, it will be very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the press implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.

Going bigger on breast implants

+2

Yes, 200cc will make a difference, but I would not recommend it. I feel such implants would be too large for your frame. Bigger is not always better.

Jack Gelman, MD
Frankfort Plastic Surgeon

200 cc's will be noticeable

+2

Hi there,

I think that given your relatively small frame, the volume increase you describe would produce a noticeable size increase.

The main point to emphasize, however, is that you should do your homework on the long-term effects of such a large implant too. Very large implants are of course heavier implants, and over time will cause a significant change in your skin and soft tissues which may lead to premature sagging of your breasts (possibly leading you to feel like all of the money you've invested in their appearance was for a short term benefit) and the need for more frequent surgery than might have been the case with smaller implants (for example, if you decide you need a breast lift to deal with all of the new, stretchy skin).

Be careful that what you think you want now doesn't cause you a problem you'll be dealing with for many years in the future. The elasticity of soft tissues, once lost, cannot be regained. We can sometimes camouflage lost elasticity by removing skin, but the quality of the skin is never the same once it has been stretched to this degree.

Armando Soto, MD

200 cc will make a difference

+2

Dizzle,

The extra 200cc will certainly make a difference on your small frame. This is an increase of 30% in volume. On your small body you will see a significant difference. 

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

No fixed rules for increasing cup size with implant volume

+2

Hello

One thing you did not mention is what cup size you are trying to achieve or why cup size matters that much, since cup size in bras is so dependent on a specific bra manufacturer.

There are no hard and fast rules as to what volume increase will lead to a single cup size increase. A 200 cc change in going from 200 cc to 400 cc leads to a 100% increase in size of implant, whereas the same 200 cc going from 650 cc to 850 cc only leads to about a 30% increase in the size of the implant.

It is hard to predict what your final cup size will be, since that varies with what you are now and what store you try bras on. I think having a discussion with your doctor and asking to see pictures of patients who have increased their implant size would be the most helpful.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Hard to say about your particular situation

+2

Under normal circumstances 200 cc's would add about a cup size. However at your very large end of the spectrum there might not be as much change as you would think. If you watch implants fill and observe the visible size change, between 250 and 350 cc's there is a very dramatic change. However, the bigger you go, the less relative change your eye sees from the extra volume. So all you could do is see what fits you best after surgery. Make sure you want to do this to achieve a specific "look" not a specific cup size. Going that large increases your risks of problems.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Discuss with a board certified plastic surgeon first

+1

200 cc will make a difference fo sure. How much difference depends on other factors like your breast diameter, etc..

You already have a very large implant, so you need to discuss this option carefuly with a board certified plastic surgeon. In many cases, it is not the volume that matters, but the shape and the medical and lateral extension of your dissection. Increasing the volume especially to that level could be counter-productive. Hope that helps!

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS