Severely Depressed by New Breast Implants

I had breast implants put in a week ago they are 400hp silicone gel.  I was trying to go from a 34A to a 34C cup (under the muscle). I am only 5'7" 115pounds. I look huge and I am severely depressed. I want them out! What should I do...i can't stand how they look.

It is way too early to tell anything.

+6

I suggest that you call your doctor and let him counsel you and give you support.

Your implants will tend to look large, and high after a submuscular augmentation. This will improve usually starting between the 3rd and 4th week after surgery as the swelling resolves, and the muscle spasm relaxes. To expect results sooner than this is unrealistic and will cause you angst.

Consider this as well, you have been through a surgical trauma, you are likely getting off of serious drugs that are depressants, and you are likely emotionally vulnerable.

Get friends for support, talk to your doctor, and be patient. If after several weeks you don't like them, you can discuss your surgical options.

Some things to consider for Breast Augmentation results

+6

A few things you should consider.

1. You still have swelling and unless you've had a few children, there are adjustments that need to be made in the skin which will change the appearance of the breast.

2. A few years ago, surveys were conducted and the average implant in the eastern US was 350cc, the average height was 5'6", and the average resultant cup size was a full 'C'. Except for your small frame, you aren't that far off.

3. Multiple Psychiatrists and Psycologists have had this operation and the consensus of these professionals is that it takes a full 90 days to "take ownership" of the implants. In other words, to look in the mirror and see yourself looking back as opposed to yourself with someone else's breasts.

4. When you begin to purchase new bras, be aware that there are an increasing number of "mislabeled" bras on the market from some major manufacturers. Don't get caught up in the letter. Somehow putting the wrong cup size on the bra is supposed to make you feel better about yourself (ridiculous).

5. I suggest to my patients to wait for the full 90 days, after that wait, very few of them choose to have the surgery.

Donald W. Kress, MD, FACS
Frederick Plastic Surgeon

Implants will settle down with time

+4

Zuelkea,

Hang in there. You are fairly tall at 5'7" and can probably carry the D cup, and that you will likely end up with from the 400cc implants. Right now you have swelling and your tissue envelope is tight. Your implants probably feel as if they are choking you, they are so high. The swelling will subside, the implants will settle down and the tissue will relax. This may take several weeks, but when it does, you will likely be very satisfied. Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Breast Augmentation requires an adjustment period

+4

First of all, it is too soon to judge the final size and form of your augmentation. It may take a few months before swelling is gone, tissues, stretch, and implants settle. During this time, you might become more accustomed to your size and shape. If you are still depressed and cannot tolerate them, then you can down-size, but be quite careful and meticulous about choosing the style, size and dimensions of your implants.

You might also check to see what size you really are in a few weeks keeping in mind the variations in bra sizes and labeling. But if you are pretty close to your stated pre-op goal then that might help you and your surgeon to discuss revisions. A patient's preception of what she wants to be size-wise is not always in sync with what she imagines visually. That is, your target C-cup might always look too big on your frame.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

You still have breast augmentation swelling

+4

You are still swollen now and the implants usually appear too high at one week's time. Immediately after surgery the muscle tightens and lifts the implants. It actually takes a few months for the muscle to fully loosen. If you started at 34A, a 400 cc silicone implant will most likely make you a full C cup. Realx for a while.

William H. Huffaker, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Wait for Breast Augmentation swelling to resolve

+4

It's not uncommon to be surprised by the appearance of your body immediately after cosmetic surgery. You'll undergo a lot of changes as the swelling goes down and your body accomodates the implants. Many women have felt just like you and after time passed were thrilled with their results. I'm not saying it will necessarily turn out that way for you, but it's more than likely.

Don't do anything rashly. I recommend waiting at least six months prior to making any decisions.

Hope this helps,

Dr. Kaufman

David L. Kaufman, MD
Folsom Plastic Surgeon

Breast settling one week after augmentation

+3

Breast implants, when placed under the pectoral muscle, will take several months to ultimately "settle" and lower to their natural position. They will also feel quite firm and tense, they will soften considerably over the next several weeks and months. Try and be patient for now and keep all your follow up appointments with your plastic surgeon.

Do not consider any re-operation surgery until at least six months from the time of your original surgery.

William Bruno, MD

Let your breast muscles and tissues soften

+3

As all of the other Physicians have mentioned, time WILL help! I know it is difficult now, but let the muscles and tissue soften by resting and massaging them.

The dramatic change can be alarming initially, but I have found that almost all of my patients who felt they were too large immediately after surgery were very pleased after several weeks when the post operative swelling subsided.

PLEASE call your physician and let him know your concerns. Open communication is the best medicine at this time.

If you still feel the implants are too large for your liking once the swelling has subsided, you could always discuss switching to a moderate plus or moderate profile implant to reduce the projection of the HP (High Profile) implants you now have.

Brian J. Lee, MD
Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Time is on your side

+3

Dear Zuelkea,

I'm sure you still have significant swelling after breast augmentation. The swelling will go down significantly and the implants will settle over the next few weeks. I know many patients who felt exactly like you and after some time, they were extremely happy. If they remain too big, you can always exchange them. Be sure to discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon. Good luck.

Dr. Cuber

Shain A. Cuber, MD
Edison Plastic Surgeon

You really should wait before making any decisions

+3

You really should wait before making any decisions. You just had surgery and you probably have considerable swelling. Additionally, they implants and tissue need to settle. This process can take several months.

David Shafer, MD