Ultherapy: Can You Over-do Ultherapy, Causing Your Skin to Stop Reacting/responding to It?

I have had good results with Ultherapy and plan on repeating the procedure every two years. I would like to know should I ever be concerned that one day my skin would stop responding to the Ultherapy treatment (just like those yo-yo dieters)? Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you!

Every 6 Months

+2

Ulthera can safely be performed every six months. Many patients continue to see excellent results and do not look 'overdone.' It's important to visit an expert facial plastic surgeon for your treatment. 

Ultherapy may help tighten skin on a continuing basis

+2

A "booster" treatment with ultherapy every couple of years, to fight the ongoing aging process, makes sense. This has not been studied but as the Ultherapy  is a very safe treatment it is commonly repeated, sometimes six or twelve months later, but certainly two years would be reasonable. 

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice.  The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs.

Ronald Shelton, MD

How Often Can Ultherapy Be Performed and Do the Skin and Muscles of the Face and Neck Stop Reacting?

+2

Hi Happy,

Though Ultherapy is relatively new (3 years on the market), it is not thought that you need be concerned about your skin and muscles not responding over time with continued treatments.  We have had experience with patients continuing to respond well over their first 3 treatments...that will give you at least the next 6 years to be unconcerned!  We have re-treated patients with excellent results as soon as 4 months later with continued improvement.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Ultherapy maintenance treatments

+1
There is no data that shows that Ultherapy 'maintenance' treatments or what others call "booster" procedures or "touch ups" lose effectiveness with repeat treatments. If there is residual or recurrent skin laxity, Ultherapy can be repeated safely. 

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

Ultherapy is a treatment that stimulates collagen

+1

Ultherapy is a treatment that stimulates collagen. Generally, it will continue to work in most patients. The results vary as some patients see very impressive results and other patients see less impressive results. This is often due to the way your body stimulates collagen in reaction to the focused ultrasound energy that is delivered beneath the skin. If Ultherapy is done incorrectly, and too much energy is delivered in one area, it can result in a burn or soft tissue damage. However a yearly treatment or treatments months apart, should only enhance the affect, not ultimately cause tissue damage.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ultherapy skin tighening more than once.

+1

General guidlines is one to two treatments apporximatly six months appart. Doing it more fregeuenly is not necessarilly beneftitial,as the wound healing process takes months to appreicate the full effect.  Repeating the procedure yearly, although the data is not there probably would be of benefit as a maintenance protocol.  As you age the effectiveness of the treatment can be less predictable,  Additionally, as the treatment does not address muscle and deep connective tissue laxity, there may come a time when more aggressive, surgical treatments are necessary.  Hope that helps.

Arthur N. Falk, MD
Albany Facial Plastic Surgeon