Can Ulthera Therapy Cause Fat Atrophy?

I am considering ulthera but I am concerned about fat atrophy. A woman over 50 with a thin face can not afford that. Any comments please.

Ulthera should not cause fat atrophy!

+3

Hello and thank you for taking the time to ask a question about Ultherapy.

When done properly, the fat should not be disturbed when undergoing an Ultherapy treatment.  The nice thing about Ulthera is that we are able to focus the depth of the treatment depending on which transducer head is used to the underlying fascia tissue as well as the dermis (area right underneath the skin). By doing so, one gets a tightening from two different layers and the fat layer is avoided. I do my own treatments so I am very careful in making sure I am treating the proper layer before an energy pulse is delivered.

Carlo Honrado, MD FACS

Ulthera and Fat Atrophy

+1

Thank you for your question. Ultherapy deposits focused ultrasound energy below the surface of the skin to stimulate the body’s creation of new collagen. As a result, skin will actually begin to lift and tone over time. Collagen is a natural protein that gives skin its youthfulness by keeping it firmed, toned and elastic. The treatment will not cause you to lose fat cells in your face, only lift and tighten the skin.

Daniel Shapiro, MD

No conclusive studies show fat atrophy after Ultherapy

+1

At this time, there have been no studies demonstrating fat atrophy with Ulthera. However, if this is a major concern for you, then perhaps you should avoid it completely. A surgical face and neck lift in conjunction with fat grafting may be a better option for you.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Ultherapy has not been associated with fat atrophy as Thermage had been in its early years

+1

I am not aware of any of my patients not those of my colleagues with whom I have discussed ultherapy that have developed fat atrophy.  The company is currently investigating this.

Ronald Shelton, MD