I Had Ulthera on my Lower Face 3 Days Ago and Still Have Considerable Swelling and Bruising

Is this normal?

Swelling After Ultherapy

+2

It is common to have some swelling and/or bruising after Ultherapy.  The swelling and bruising will usually subside within a few days, but can last up to 2 weeks in some patients.

Temporary Swelling after Ultherap

+1

Swelling of the treated area can develop and last for up to two weeks. It is a temporary side effect and will resolve without any treatment.

In a few months, you should be able to start seeing the beneficial results of the treatment.

Gail Nield, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Bruising and Swelling can occur

+1

Swelling after an Ulthera treatment can occur if you were given an aggressive treatment. I would not call this "normal" but would not be alarmed. This should resolve within a week. Bruising is less common but I have seen some minimal bruising in patients who have taken aspirin for a number of years. This may take a little longer to resolve but you could use Arnica gel to help it go away quicker.

Theresa M. Jarmuz, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling and bruising can occur, but are not common, after Ultherapy

+1

Most patients do not develop bruising but very few can. This will go away on its own usually by two weeks. As there should be no blister or raw spot, makeup can be used on intact skin to hide the bruise.  Swelling is expected but is so minimal for most people that it is considered a no to very low, down time procedure. If people do develop swelling than they should not sleep flat, but rather elevate their head on a few pillows and should not bend over at the waist or do exercise until the swelling subsides in a couple of days.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Bruising After Ultherapy is Rare

+1

Generally speaking, bruising after Ultherapy is rare.  However, if it occurs, it is most likely related to pressure applied to the hand-piece and will most likely resolve in the next week or two.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon