Is Ematrix New? How Does This Procedure Compare to Ultherapy?

Most important I would like either less fat or tighter skin around my chin and neck. If I could get a procedure which would also reduce pore size, tighten and smooth skin on the face and reduce visibility of an age spot, I'd be thrilled. Cost is important. Heal time is also important. I'd pay a little more for superior results but will still have financial limitations. I also would have to return to work in a few days, regardless. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

Facial tightening devices can't improve the surface of the skin well at the same time

+2

E matrix can help improve the texture of the skin. It can't lift the skin as Ultherapy does and Ultherapy doesn't affect the pores or age spots.

EMatrix and Ulthera are utilized for different reasons for facial rejuvenation

+2

An eMatrix treatment, referred to as sublative rejuvenation, utilizes radiofrequency energy or electrical energy to improve fine wrinkles, acne scars, pore size and skin tone.  It is considered a fractionated skin treatment which ablates small portions of the skin at any given time.  There is no oozing or weeping with this treatment as with a fractionated CO2 laser treatment.  A smaller injury occurs at the surface of the skin as compared to the dermis.  This allows for collagen deposition and improvement of fine wrinkles and acne scars.  Because the device utilizes radiofrequency, it is color blind and is ideally suited for patients with darker skin types.

Ulthera utilizes ultrasound energy to heat the deeper tissues which will cause a tightening or lifting effect.

These two devices have been beneficial in my practice and may both be used on the same patient.

Sanjay Grover, MD

Ultherapy is a lot more effective than ematrix for skin tightening

+1

Ematrix used fractionated radiofrequency.  Ultherapy used ultrasound which penetrates deeper, gives more consistent results, and is much mor effective for skin tightening.  ematrix is much more superficial

Cameron Rokhsar, MD

Ulthera is for lifting, not skin peeling

+1

Ulthera uses highly focused ultrasound to noninvasively stimulate collagen remodeling under the skin for a lifting effect. Because it does not disrupt the surface as with fractional technologies, there is no downtime but also less of an effect on the skin itself. Conversely, fractional resurfacing whether with radiofrequency or with lasers doesn't have the deep effect.

Richard Baxter, MD

EMatrix and Ultherapy are not similar technologies

+1

eMatrix and Ultherapy are not similar technologies.

eMatrix is relatively new and has been gaining wider use in the 2 years it has been on the market.  eMatrix is a different type of fractional resurfacing technology that is not a laser. The use of radio frequency instead of laser helps "bypass" the layers of the skin that produce melanin. The basis of eMatrix action is to provide a customizable resurfacing action similar to Fraxel or ActiveFX without the high risk of post treatment Hyperpigmentation. This pigmentation, (called PIH for post-inflammatory Hyperpigmentation), when it occurs, is transient, but if you have skin with more melanin, PIH is more likely with laser.

Ultherapy is not a resurfacing system. It's focus is on tightening and lifting at surgical levels.  Ultherapy uses ultrasound and is a completely different process from previous "tightening" or firming systems. 

In the process of an Ultherapy Lift, you will get "better" skin because you'll have some collagen response that improves skin....but not to the same degree as a resurfacing system. Ultherapy won't reduce the amount of fat, but will tighten deeper layers of tissue.

If the issue is excess fat, then micro-liposuction might offer you a more appreciable result. In which case consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon would be a wise investment of time.

Rebecca Fitzgerald, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologist