Which Type of Lipo is Best for Back Fat

I am going to have a tummy tuck as well as I need lipo for my flanks (luv handles) and upper/mid back area for my bra rolls. One doc i saw in consultation does body tite and the other doc I saw does tumescent. I like both of these docs but I just dont know which one to go with. They both say its a tough area to get rid of fat. Which type of lipo will give the best result for my back area. I am wanting to book in April 2011. Thanks in advance.

For Backrolls Go with Vaser Ultrasonic Tumescent Liposuction.

+2

Back Rolls are tough.  See a surgeon who does Vaser Ultrasonic Liposuction and who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  I feel Bodytite is cumbersome and often adds nothing but expense to procedures.  I do not like it.  PLEASE REMEMBER ALL LIPOSUCTION AROUND THE WORLD IN 2011 IS TUMESCENT.  This vague word simply means a mixture of either saline or ringers Lactate with epinephrine and anesthetic is injected into the tissues.  Beyon that Ultrasonud is appiied or what ever techinique the surgeon chooses.  Ultrasound has made the difference with backroll success since 1996 and the old Lysonic Systems which still work fine.  The fluid injection constricts the small vessels because of the ephinephrine and there is minimal bleeding.  We have removed as much as 26 lbs with minimal bleeding with this technique at one surgery.  For Backrolls go with Vaser.     Happy Valentines.

Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Back Liposuction

+1
Generally, back fat is more fibrous. For this reason, it can be more challenging to remove. I often target this area with ultrasonic or power-assisted liposuction methods.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Liposuction for back fat

+1

Back fat or brastrap fat can be hard to treat as the skin is fibrous, in other words it contains dense amounts of collagen and the back skin is thicker than abdominal and thigh skin. Thick skin areas don't retract as much after liposuction as thin skin areas and the weight of the thick skin makes the folds fall because of gravity.  Many times these folds are related to the lack of support that occurs with age and not because of an accumulation of fat. See a board-certified liposuction physician to evaluate your condition. If liposuction doesn't help as much as you would desire in this area, possibly a non-invasive treatment such as Thermage or Zeltiq Cool Sculpting may provide minimal to moderate (or no) improvement.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Lipo for back fat

+1

Each physician has to use the technique or technology which works best in his or her hands. My current favorite treatment for the iliac crest/waistline and bra fat area is laser-assisted lipo (SlimLipo) which I've found to have a very nice effect on those areas. If you have quite a bit of fat accumulation in these areas, I would also utilize vaser-assisted lipo (aka ultrasound lipo) which I have found to be moderately more effective for this area when there is a greater degree of fat accumulation.

Deason Dunagan, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Back fat and liposuction

+1

There are many ways to treat back fat.  I always say it is not the wand but the magician waving the wand that creates the magic.

Liposuction for body contouring of the back

+1

I routinely perform liposuction/body contouring procedures in conjunction with tummy tucks and I don't think you need any "fancy" type of liposuction technology.  I would look closely at the experience and body of work of the particular surgeon you are planning to schedule surgery with.  I agree that you should seek out a board certified plastic surgeon that has significant experience in body contouring procedures and does them routinely.  In our practice,  we employ a "tumescent" liposuction for all areas including the back rolls with very good success.  The skin of the back is thicker and there is less "fat" in this area.  Particular experience is helpful in this area because working over the ribs can be a more "risky" area to work in, and also can be a more "painful" area.  We use a different cannula shape to contour in this area and have found that it works well.  I personally  think that laser or ultrasonic liposuction techniques create more scar tissue over the back which affects the ultimate shape and result.  I would make sure you feel good about your surgeon and their experience in this area, and I think you will do great.  I hope this helps!

Sincerely,

James F.  Boynton, M.D., F.A.C.S.

James F. Boynton, MD