Stomach Folds - Am I a Good Candidate for Liposuction?

I am 24 years old, but I've had this problem since I was 16. I have 2 stomach folds that crease where my belly button is at. In the past 6 months I've lost 26 lbs by dieting and working out, but the crease hasn't changed at all. I've been told this happens to pregnant women, but I've never been pregnant. Can my problem be fixed with liposuction? Or is my skin too stretched out? If so, is my only option a tummy tuck?

Stomach Folds and Liposuction

+3

Liposuction is FiINE but you will have some irregularities.  Find a surgeon who does Vaser Ultrasonic Liposuction.  Be aware skin contracts well but never perfect.  Your shin and stomach will have irregularities.  Ask you surgeon to show yu representative photos of people like you.  Seek 3 consults from ABPS Certifed Surgeons.  Gook Luck

Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction vs. abdominoplasty

+2

Congratulations on your weight loss. You are young but overweight. You are on the right track having lost weight but you need to keep it off, otherwise, you will have problems with weight gain possibly after surgery.  People heal better when they are in good health. If you can maintain a good diet and exercise regularly you can lose more weight and then liposuction can help reduce the volume of the fat but an abdominoplasty will probably be needed to help remove skin of poor elasticity that may not retract and at the same time the crease may be improved. These are significant surgeries and to be respected for the risks that exist, so continue to lose that weight and see a plastic surgeon in consultation.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Tummy tuck versus liposuction

+2

This is difficult to predict at this point in ttime but at your age, I would recommend attempting liposuction first.  

Overhanging Stomach Folds - Liposuction VS Tummy Tuck?

+2

Regarding: "Stomach Folds - Am I a Good Candidate for Liposuction?
I am 24 years old, but I've had this problem since I was 16. I have 2 stomach folds that crease where my belly button is at. In the past 6 months I've lost 26 lbs by dieting and working out, but the crease hasn't changed at all. I've been told this happens to pregnant women, but I've never been pregnant. Can my problem be fixed with liposuction? Or is my skin too stretched out? If so, is my only option a tummy tuck
?"

The reason for the folds is that you have both excess skin and some excess fat. Removing the fat with liposuction will NOT shrink the skin and would just leave you with thinner folds. A Tummy Tuck WILL flatten you, remove the skin folds and narrow the waist but the operation is best done after you completed your family. If you are thinking of having children in the near future, I would recommend you postpone your tummy tuck until then.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Tummy Tuck may be more effective

+2

Liposuction alone may not completely improve the contour problems that you have. You would appear to benefit from a combination of liposuction and abdominoplasty . A bigger operation but a more dramatic improvement. 

Leo Keegan, MD

Liposuction vs tummy tuck

+2
From the photos it appears you are a good candidate for a tummy tuck and liposuction to get rid of the folds. However this will result in a scar that you might like to avoid at this time. Best of luck!

Dana Khuthaila, MD, FACS

Liposuction and tummy tuck

+2

Given your photo, your mid abdominal skin creases are likely caused by a combination of excess skin and fat.  These are best dealt with via liposuction and a tummy tuck which can certainly be done in the same setting.  You should see a PS to discuss the options.  If you are concerned about abdominoplasty scarring then liposuction will certainly help the contour but may leave you with skin excess (hanging skin).

Delio Ortegon, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction

+1

You probably are better off losing weight., Yes, you can have liposuction but you will have irregularities and you may not ge as flat as you would like.

Liposuction

+1

Based on your photo, you appear to a good candidate for abdominoplasty and liposuction.  But if you don't want the tummy tuck scar, then liposuction is a secondary alternative.  You will still have some loose skin after you heal.

Shahin Javaheri, MD