How Old is Too Old for a Tummy Tuck?

otherwise healthy not overweight 58 year old

Too old?

+1

If you are in vigorously good health, you are not too old.  You'll likely have 20 - 30 years to enjoy your flat tummy!

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D.

Too old for a tummy tuck

+1

Your physical health is very important when considering elective plastic surgery.  Meaning that a history and physical before a cosmetic tummy tuck is required to determine any medical conditions.  Safety is the number one priority.

If you are healthy and cleared by your personal physician, then you can proceed with the abdominoplasty at any age.  However, make sure you are having the procedure with a  plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Naples Plastic Surgeon

Safty is of utmost importance in performing cosmetic surgery

+1

Safety is of the utmost importance in performing cosmetic surgery. Tummy tucks can be performed in individuals of all ages who are in good health. We frequently involve your personnel family physician or internist to check you to make sure that you are in good health and that the risk of complications is low. I have personally performed tummy tucks in 5 women in their 70's.

It is very important to perform operations, such as tummy tuck, in the appropriate setting. To minimize the risk, I perform tummy tucks in a Certified Accredited Surgery Center with an overnight stay. I insist on a Board Certified Anesthesiologist to be in attendance. It is very important to follow all pre-operative and post-operative instructions to ensure a good result.

I would recommend a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Best regards, Andrew Lyos MD, FACS

Age and Tummy tuck

+1

Thanks for the question. Chronological age is not a major factor when considering someone for a tummy tuck. Other factors that should be considered are current activity level, presence of medical issues such as history of cardiac or respiratory disease, presence of diabetes to name a few. Also, if you are currently smoking, this may influence my decision to operate on you. In summary, you should seek the the advice from several board certified plastic surgeons in your area who would advise you whether or not you are a good candidate for the surgery and whether or not you would require your family physician to medically clear you prior to your surgery. Good luck.

Fairfield Plastic Surgeon

Health is typically more important than age when it comes to determining candidacy for elective surgery

+1

It is not so much the chronological age as the medical health of the individual. Therefore an uncontrolled diabetic with rheumatoid arthritis on steroids and severe inflammatory bowel disease with immunosuppressants in a 50 year old may be a worse candidate then a healthy 65 year old.

Healthy people are good candidates for surgery

+1

Hi there-

As long as you are free of medical problems, and you have a medical doctor familiar with your health and lifestyle who can help with preparing you for surgery, you should not feel your age is a reason not to pursue a happier outlook with the flatter tummy you dream of.

Web reference: http://www.DrArmandoSoto.com

As Long As Patient IsHealthy, No Age Restriction

+1

As long as you are healthy, without major medical problems ( diabetes, heart disease, smoking), then you should be a god candidate for the surgery.  58 years old is not old at all, so if you are a good medical candidate, then you should be good to go.  I hope this helps.

Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tucks for older patients

+1

Age 58 is not too old for a tummy tuck.  Preoperative medical clearance is important for even healthy patients with no medical problems. If there are medical problems this should be discussed with your surgeon and if needed the patient should be cleared by there medical doctor or a cardiologist if there are heart issues.

Recently I did a breast reduction and abdominoplasty on a  74  old and she had no problems and fewer complaints than patients that are much younger.

Arlington Plastic Surgeon

Too Old for a Tummy Tuck

+1

Thanks for the question there is not really an age limitation as to whether you can have a tummy tuck. It is based upon patient selection, medical history. So go see 3 boarded surgeons in your area. 

Too Old for Tummy Tuck

+1

There is no absolute age at which a tummy tuck is not appropriate.  It depends on one's general state of health and reasons for surgery. Assuming that you are in in good health at age 58 or even much older, you may be a good candidate for a tummy tuck.  You should seek a consultation with a BC plastic surgeon who can discuss with you the relative benefits and risks.