How Old is Too Old for a Tummy Tuck?

otherwise healthy not overweight 58 year old

How old is too old for a tummy tuck?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! Age alone is not a contraindication to a surgical procedure. There are a few medical comorbidities that contribute to a higher risk during any surgical procedure including infections, wound complications, delayed wound healing, bleeding, anesthetic risks, etc. Factors such as diabetes, hypertension, coronary artery disease, heart problems, lung problems, etc are more common in the elderly. However, if you are healthy, or these conditions are well-controlled, you would certainly still be a candidate for a surgical procedure. If your complaints or desires are great enough to consider the surgical option, I would seek a consultation with a plastic surgeon to discuss your complaints and go over the options as well as risks and benefits of the procedure.

You should obtain medical clearance from your primary care physician that you are at an acceptable risk for undergoing a surgical procedure. For elective or aesthetic procedures, your surgeon may want to get you to a reasonable health status prior to consideration for a procedure. Discuss all of your medical comorbidities and medication with your surgeon prior and discuss these risks. Also, discuss this with your anesthesiologist as proper monitoring and medications will be watched closely. This procedure should still be very safe for you and hope for an uncomplicated course with an excellent result! Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Tummy Tuck Age

+1
An in-person consultation with a reputable board certified plastic surgeon is the best way to determine if a tummy tuck is suitable for you. In my experience, 58 is definitely not too old! Your general physical and mental health are far more important when considering a tummy tuck than just your age.  

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Too old for tummy tuck?

+1
Thank you for your post. Age is not a contraindication to surgery. Poor health is. If you are a healthy adult, and interested in a tummy tuck surgery, meet with a board certified plastic surgeon. He or she will assess you as a patient for any risks you might have. The biggest risks are heart disease, diabetes, smoking, high blood pressure, and previous history of deep venous thrombosis.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Too old?

+1

If you are in vigorously good health, you are not too old.  You'll likely have 20 - 30 years to enjoy your flat tummy!

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Too old for a tummy tuck

+1

Your physical health is very important when considering elective plastic surgery.  Meaning that a history and physical before a cosmetic tummy tuck is required to determine any medical conditions.  Safety is the number one priority.

If you are healthy and cleared by your personal physician, then you can proceed with the abdominoplasty at any age.  However, make sure you are having the procedure with a  plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Andrew Turk, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Safty is of utmost importance in performing cosmetic surgery

+1

Safety is of the utmost importance in performing cosmetic surgery. Tummy tucks can be performed in individuals of all ages who are in good health. We frequently involve your personnel family physician or internist to check you to make sure that you are in good health and that the risk of complications is low. I have personally performed tummy tucks in 5 women in their 70's.

It is very important to perform operations, such as tummy tuck, in the appropriate setting. To minimize the risk, I perform tummy tucks in a Certified Accredited Surgery Center with an overnight stay. I insist on a Board Certified Anesthesiologist to be in attendance. It is very important to follow all pre-operative and post-operative instructions to ensure a good result.

I would recommend a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Best regards, Andrew Lyos MD, FACS

Andrew T. Lyos, MD, FACS

Age and Tummy tuck

+1

Thanks for the question. Chronological age is not a major factor when considering someone for a tummy tuck. Other factors that should be considered are current activity level, presence of medical issues such as history of cardiac or respiratory disease, presence of diabetes to name a few. Also, if you are currently smoking, this may influence my decision to operate on you. In summary, you should seek the the advice from several board certified plastic surgeons in your area who would advise you whether or not you are a good candidate for the surgery and whether or not you would require your family physician to medically clear you prior to your surgery. Good luck.

Wilfred Brown, MD
Fairfield Plastic Surgeon

Health is typically more important than age when it comes to determining candidacy for elective surgery

+1

It is not so much the chronological age as the medical health of the individual. Therefore an uncontrolled diabetic with rheumatoid arthritis on steroids and severe inflammatory bowel disease with immunosuppressants in a 50 year old may be a worse candidate then a healthy 65 year old.

Healthy people are good candidates for surgery

+1

Hi there-

As long as you are free of medical problems, and you have a medical doctor familiar with your health and lifestyle who can help with preparing you for surgery, you should not feel your age is a reason not to pursue a happier outlook with the flatter tummy you dream of.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

As Long As Patient IsHealthy, No Age Restriction

+1

As long as you are healthy, without major medical problems ( diabetes, heart disease, smoking), then you should be a god candidate for the surgery.  58 years old is not old at all, so if you are a good medical candidate, then you should be good to go.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon