No Compression Garment After Abdominoplasty?

I had abdominoplasty 3 weeks ago and my surgeon did not recommend a compression garment at all. Is this typical? I'm reading where most doctors do so.

No Need to use Compression Garments after Tummy Tuck Surgery

+5

Regarding: " No Compression Garment After Abdominoplasty?
I had abdominoplasty 3 weeks ago and my surgeon did not recommend a compression garment at all. Is this typical? I'm reading where most doctors do so
."

I USED to use compression garments with Tummy Tuck surgery but stopped doing so several years ago. In MY opinion, it makes my patients MUCH more comfortable after surgery, it reduces their likelihood of difficulty breathing and thereby of pneumonias and I suspect that by lowering the garment pressure on the tummy it lowers the risk of blood clot formation and of circulatory damage to the lower tummy. I have NOT seen any worsening in my patients by sparing them the corset. But a lot of surgeons are still using it and it is a matter of preference.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Compression garments: A judgment call

+4

Most doctors do! However, there are many physicians who believe that the garments cause more problems than they prevent. In some instances where "quilting" sutures are used and no drain is placed, surgeons may not feel that the compression garment is needed. We generally feel that garments are used to minimize hematoma, seroma, and edema. However, garments can also cause constriction bands, uneven pressure, ulcers, and ischemia. In the end, it is a judgment call.

Compression after Tummy Tuck

+2

There are no rights and wrongs with regard to your plastic surgeon's recommendations for post-op compression. I typically do use an abdominal compression binder for average 6 weeks after the procedure. Depending on the technique used and the experience of your surgeon, this may vary considerably.

Compression garments are not required after tummy tuck

+1

There are pro and cons to the use of compression garments after tummy tuck surgery. The garments probably reduce swelling and bruising in the post op period. Some patients feel more 'secure' wearing them than not. They can also create problems with high-pressure zones, skin issues, itching etc. I use them in my practice and have not had issues with wound healing problems that I can directly relate to the use of the garment.

Web reference: http://www.seattleface.com/html/tummy_tuck.php