Can I Start my Walking Routine One Week After Tummy Tuck?

6 days post op ive been feeling great no pain, i was wondering if i can start working out aka cardio.. go for my walks? its to hard to weight lift with my binder on...

Walking after Tummy Tuck

+1

My patients walk immediately after surgery and by two days after surgery most are able to go food shopping. BUT - I do NOT want them exercising for a few weeks after surgery. Walking at a fast rate will increase heart rate and caused increased swelling and fluid production in the operated tissues. Instead of helping, the extra fluid drainage may delay healing by pushing the lifted and advanced skin away from the flattened tightened muscle.

It is MUCH better to allow for quick adherence of the tissues together than cause unnecessary swelling and delays by early exertion.

Exercise Following Tummy Tuck

+1

I think that it is no problem and , in fact, a good thing to begin walking at a normal speed 1 week following your tummy tuck.  I feel that you should avoid steep inclines and limit your walking to a fairly level terrain at this point postop.  On the other hand, I advise my patients to delay vigorous activities that place strain on the abdominal area for 4-6 weeks postop.

John Whitt, MD

Exercise after a tummy tuck

+1

I'd let you walk extensively at this point but NOT to a level that raises your heart rate and BP until you are past 2 weeks out.  Also, no abdominal straining for 8 weeks.  Check with your own doctor for their recommendations.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Recovery after tummy tucks

+1

I recommend my patients to begin getting up and walking gently around their house the same day or next day after surgery-- it's important for a number of reasons, including just getting you feeling more like yourself.  But in terms of heavy cardio, etc, I would listen to the recommendations of your surgeon.  Everyone has a different protocol, and you want to make sure you get the clearance directly from your surgeon before moving forward.

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS