At 63, Am I Too Old to Have Tummy Tuck?

I have had "smiley" surgeries and now have a fatty hangover. I am not overweight but appear so with my fat stomach. I'm 63; am I too old for a tummy tuck?

Tummy Tuck cosmetic surgery at 63

+3

I often operate on women who are 63 or older for tummy tuck procedure. Many women at this age are tired of the extra loose skin and fat they have had in the abdomen area for years and finally want to do something about it. Most often these women have tried diet and exercise and now realized that the best improvement would be to have cosmetic surgery.

At your complimentary consultation, we will discuss the necessary labs you will need to have general anesthesia and this operation normally takes me about 2-3 hours depending on the amount of loose skin and you body size. If you are a smoker you will need to quit smoking for a least 4-6 weeks for healing purposes. You will stay in a 24 hour recovery care center after the procedure.

I require you to come to the office the day before surgery so I can mark where the scar will be placed so you can bring your swimsuit and panties to make sure we have the scar placement exactly where you want it.

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Too old for a tummy tuck?

+2

If you are physically healthy, and your cardiogram, stress test and physical exam and blood tests are OK, chances are you are still a good candidate for a tummy tuck. A top surgeon will go over with you what risks are associated with the procedure at your age with your general health.

Good luck. It should be transformative!

Brent Moelleken, MD

Too old?

+1
Dear Donna,
Only if you feel too old!  As long as you are in good health and cleared by your primary care doctor, then you should be able to have an excellent result from tummy tuck surgery.
Pablo PRichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Have a tummy tuck if you're healthy, no matter the age

+1

I believe there is German (?) proverb which says "it is not how old you are, but how you are old" which matters.

If you are healthy, at or close to your ideal weight, and are medically cleared for surgery, there is no reason to wait.

Good luck!

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Age for Tummy Tuck

+1

Age is not as important as the remainder of your health history. You'll need to be fit to have this surgery enough to recovery from it. Unless you have major medical conditions and if you can tolerate a normal amount of exercise you're probably able to have this surgery. Nonetheless, you'll need a few labs and an EKG prior to your surgery. If you have other illnesses sometimes we'll request the aid of a cardiologist or some form of medical specialist to clear and prepare you for surgery.

Best Wishes,

DoctorMeade

Ricardo A. Meade, MD

Age limit for tummy tucks

+1

Chronological age is irrelevant It is your physiological age that is most important.

If you are in good general health without heart or lung disease, remain physically active and eat right you certainly are a candidate for a tummy tuck. Of course, you should be evaluated by a board certified plastic surgeon to determine if that in fact will allow you to achieve the goals you have.

Jeffrey Kenkel, MD

Age vs. good candidate for tummy tuck

+1

Your age is not as important as your physical condition. If you are a non-smoker, in good health (good bp, no diabetes, no heart problems), you more or less can undergo a tummy tuck at any age. I do recommend that you get a complete physical exam with appropriate tests prior to undergoing surgery however.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Tummy tuck in older patient

+1

Donna1947

Thanks for the question. In general, if you do not have an underlying medical condition precluding you from undergoing a surgical procedure, your age, in most cases, should not be a factor in determining your candidacy for a cosmetic surgical procedure. In my practice, patients over the age of 45 require a medical work-up and "clearance" by an internist, which may include nothing more than a check up, an ECG and some basic labs, or may be as extensive as undergoing a stress echocardiogram. It is patient dependent.

My advice to you would be to follow up with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and find out what his/her preoperative work up policy is. Also, make sure the surgeon is operating out of an accredited surgicenter or hospital. Doing the aforementioned will increase your chances of having a seamless and safe procedure. Best of luck.

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Too Old For Tummy Tuck?

+1

There is no age limit for a tummy tuck or any cosmetic surgery.  Cosmetic surgery, like any surgery, must be done safely.  Therefore it is your overall health that matters.  However, as we age our skin gets gradually thinner and this can have consequences with healing.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Best age for a tummy tuck

+1

The most important factor when considering any elective surgery is your overall general health. If you are in good health and have no significant medical problems, then your age will not preclude you from surgery. I would get a thorough physical exam, if you haven't had one in the past year, just to be on the safe side.

Robert M. Jensen, MD
Medford Plastic Surgeon