How Will Mini or Full Tummy Tuck Affect my Tattoo?

Should I get a mini or Full Tummy Tuck and what will it do to my tattoos. I'm 18 and just had a little boy. I gained 55lbs during my pregnancy and have lost all but 10lbs and now have a flab of skin that I can't get rid of.

I just want to look like I use to and am not sure if I could get by with a mini or need a full to fix my sagging belly button. I also have a very large tattoo on my stomach and would like to know if it would completely removed by it or how much of it will be left if not.

Full Tummy tuck and Tattoo

If you are done having children, a Full Tummy Tuck will give you the BEST result ; a tighter body than you had before your pregnancy(ies), it will flatten your tummy, bring the separated six pack muscles together, narrow your waist, remove the loose skin between the belly button and the Mons pubis (including that part of the ink off) and lift a potentially droopy mons pubis up.

As regards your Tattoo - While the art will go, the Mis-spelled (Vivre pour le Moment) will remain but move closer to your panty line.

que sera sera...

Dr. P. Aldea

I agree that you should wait until you are done having kids to have a tummy tuck. From what I can see I think you would need a full tummy tuck. Your tattoo will be affected by the tummy tuck and the whole tattoo would not be removed but a good amount of it would be taken out.

Fereydoon S. Mahjouri, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

At 18, you should wait for a tummy tuck

Tummy tucks (full or minis) should only be done when you are completely done having children.  At that time, you will need a full tummy tuck and most, but not all, of your tattoo will be removed and you will need to re-do what's left. 

Tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) and tattoo

I'm sure you are aware of the phrase on your abdomen which translated means live for the moment or in other words Carpe Diem. As an 18 year old, you have many decisions to make now that you are a parent. One is the choice of having more children in the near future. If the answer is yes, you may want to put off any treatment at this point because it will be undone. No-one can take you back to the way you looked prior to pregnancy. However, your options for treating the loose skin are most likely a full tummy tuck. The amount of skin removal is difficult to predict but based on my experience, your entire ?butterfly? will be removed and your Bon Vivant phrase will be transferred to your lower belly just above your belt line.

Tummy tuck and abdominal tattoo

Thank you for posting your photograph, and congratulations on the birth of your son.  From the picture, it appears that you'd be an excellent candidate for a full tummy tuck.  The operation would effectively remove the lax skin from your lower belly and from above your belly button, and would tighten and flatten your abdominal wall beautifully.  The tradeoff, however, would be a significant alteration to the appearance of your tattoo.  All, or nearly all, of the portion of the tattoo below your belly button would be removed; the line of words above the belly button would be somewhat stretched vertically and would would be moved to a position below the belly button.  That said, a new tattoo is a great way to hide a tummy tuck scar - so some revision to your artwork might be a consideration.  Good luck!

Joshua D. Zuckerman, MD, FACS

Full tummy tuck

With a full tummy tuck, most of your tattoo will be remove, the rest will be moved down.  Your belly button will require a full tummy tuck.

Skin Removal with Tummy Tuck

All the skin below the belly button is removed with a full tummy tuck and half the skin with a modified.  The belly button is recreated with a full and left alone with a modified.  A full tummy tuck contours the upper and lower abdomen and only the lower with a modified.  The amount of tatoo remaining depends on the level of the scar. To keep a lower scar, some of the lateral tatoo will remain.  If you want a higher scar, then the tatoo could be completely removed.

Tattoo Affected By Tummy Tuck

You will probably need a full tummy tuck to eliminate the excess skin and fat in your midsection. Your tattoo will not be completely removed, however it will be partially, negatively affecting its meaning. As a result, you'll probably need to get it redone after you've fully recovered.

Full Tummy tuck

If you want to have your body similar to how you were before your son you would need a full tummy tuck to be able to improve the loose skin and to bring your muscle back together, now about your tattoo by looking at your picture any ink above your belly button will come down to your pelvis area but because you don't have a lot of extra skin some part of the tattoo will be there. But base on your age you should wait a bit longer.Good luck with your decision.

Tummy tuck and tattoos

A tummy tuck will remove much of the tattoo below the belly button but will not affect the words above your belly button.  What I would fear most is if a portion of a particular tattoo would be removed leaving a partial tattoo.  Best to determine in person.  Best of luck.