Tummy Tuck to Remove Stretch Marks Above Belly Button?

I'm 23 and I have stretch marks from my lower abdomen up to my breasts from being overweight. Will a Tummy tuck get rid of the upper abdomen stretch marks?

Not all your stretch marks will be removed with tummy tuck

+3

A tummy tuck will remove most of the excess skin below the umbilicus to the pubic area, along with stretch marks in that area. The stretch marks above the umbilicus will remain, but will be improved in appearance. The scar goes from hip to hip, but is positioned low to be hidden by a two piece bathing suit. A traditional tummy tuck tightens skin up and down. If you have had a lot of weight loss, you may also have looseness across your abdomen (transversely). If this transverse laxity is pronounced, then some patients benefit from excision of some of this skin as well, but the trade off is an up and down scar in the midline of the abdomen. More of the stretch marks will be removed, but the scar will be more prominent. You didn't mention whether you have had children, but if this planned for the near future, you would probably want to wait until after your family is complete to have your tummy tuck.

Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck to remove stretch marks

+2

A standard Tummy tuck removes the skin from just above the belly button down to the pubic bone. If there is a lot of loose skin present, a limited amount of additional skin above the belly button can be removed.

The remaining skin is pulled taut and down. It is not possible to remove most stretch marks that are above the belly button, but they will look better after surgery because the skin will be pulled tighter.

Caroline Min, MD

Tummy Tuck to Remove Stretch Marks Above Belly Button

+1

I think you would get a satisfactory result with a standard abdominoplasty and diastasis recti repair. The skin will be removed in an elliptical pattern from the umbilicus to a point just above the pubic bone.  The stretch marks above the umbilicus will look better when the skin is stretched tight but the will not be removed just lowered down.   There is always a possibility of making a bad scar but attention to detail and using standard plastic surgical techniques can keep this to a minimum.

Abdominal stetch marks and tummy tuck

+1

Hi,

The traditional tummy tuck cannot remove stretch marks from the upper abdomen.  The lower stretch marks will be removed it they are between the belly button and the pubic hair area.

However, if you have a great deal of laxity of the upper abdomen, then you might be a candidate for a fleur-de-lis tummy tuck and if so, this DOES remove some of the stretch marks above the belly button.  Of course, there is a tradeoff in that you would have a vertical scar from this incision in addition to the transverse incision from hip to hip. 

It all boils down to where your stretch marks are and what type of tummy tuck would be appropriate for you.

I think you should take away the message that you will still have some or all of the stretch marks above the belly button and have most or all of them gone below the belly button.  The exception would be lateral hip stretch marks that will not be removed (unless you use a belt lipectomy but this is another discussion)

Steven M. Lynch, M.D.

Steven M. Lynch, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and stretch mark reduction

+1

A tummy tuck removes a great deal of tissue from below the belly button to the bikini line where the scar resides.  Thus stretch marks above the belly button will often remain behind and have a stretched appearance as the remaining abdominal tissue is stretched to it's new appearance.  They may appear more shallow, but will also appear longer.  

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

Stretch Marks and Tummy Tuck Surgery

+1

An abdominoplasty will not get rid of all of your stretch marks. It will get rid of most of the stretch marks below the umbilicus, but not above. I always tell my patients it will probably get rid of about 80-85% by directly excising them. Many patients, especially if they’ve had large babies, they will have stretch marks extending all the way up to their rib cage areas. However, it is very effective in removing surgically the stretch marks below the umbilicus.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Probably not

+1

The tummy tuck operation is good at removing stretch marks in the lower part of the abdomen up to and extending slightly above the belly button.  However, if you have stretch marks extending all the way up to your breasts, it is unlikely if not impossible to remove them all.  The upper abdominal skin will be stretched alot and made smoother and the stretch marks left may be less apparent.  It does sound like you would benefit alot from the tummy tuck operation.

James Tang, MD

Stretch mark questions

+1

We can only get rid of the stretch marks that are on the actual piece of skin which is surgically removed.  The rest of them stay behind.

In the standard tummy tuck, this means the stretch marks that are below, or up to, the belly button are typically removed, and the ones above that get pulled to a lower position, but are still present.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any tummy tuck method that could treat your situation completely. 

Thomas Fiala, MD

DoesTummy Tuck to Remove Stretch Marks Above Belly Button?

+1

The skin that is discarded is the skin below the belly button. If your stretch marks are immediately  above your BB. they will end up above the pubic bone and could be partially covered by the underwear. The tightness of the skin make the stretch marks less visible.

Farhad Rafizadeh, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck will probably not remove stretch marks above the belly button

+1

Tummy tuck removes stretched out skin but usually only those stretch marks below the belly button. As a wedge of skin is removed, the rest of the abdominal wall skin will be stretched to reach down to the level of the pubic bone. If you have stretch marks above the belly button, these will move down to below the umbilicus but will not be removed completely.

Elizabeth Slass Lee, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon