Scar Cream for Tummy Tuck Scar?

What is the most effective scar cream to apply on a tummy tuck scar so it would heal better?

1540 Laser Better Than Scar Cream for Tummy Tuck Scar

+3

Thank you for your question. I routinely advise my patients to massage their Tummy Tuck Scar and apply Scar Guard Cream after surgery.

However at the first sign of redness or "lumpy" areas in the scar I begin Laser Treatments with the 1540 Non ablative Fractional Erbium Laser. Results have been excellent.

Tummy Tuck Scar Cream

+2
We have found Dermatrix Silicone Gel to be good at addressing scarring. It is a transparent, self-drying gel that can be used after your tummy tuck scar(s) has fully healed and all surgical tape and/or bandaging has been removed. The gel is applied to the scar(s) daily and works to smooth, flatten and relieve itchiness of the incision lines. 76% of dermatologists rated the efficacy of Dermatrix as good to very good in a European case study. These physicians rated Dermatrix on its ability to reduce scar elevation, elasticity, itchiness, pain and redness. Dermatrix is effective in treating either new or mature scars.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Scar creams are a waste of money

+2

I have never seen any scientific or clinical evidence that scar creams accomplish anything.  There is good evidence, however, that religiously taping over your incision for 2-3 months can improve the final appearance of your surgical scar. The other thing that has been shown to be effective is silicone sheeting over the scar for several months. Don't waste your money on scar creams.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck scar cream

+2

I agree with Dr. Naidu that there is no one best cream for tummy tuck scars. I, like Dr. Naidu, also like Scar Fade and Scar Guard for their excellent moisturization. I usually will apply steri strips (special adhesive tape) to the incision for the first 4-6 weeks followed by Scar Fade or Scar Guard. I have found this method works the best to address most surgical scars. Silicone gel sheeting is also a good option however, it may be cumbersome to get the sheets to stay on each time they are applied. The sheets also need to be used for several months to obtain optimal results.

Keep in mind, these options aid in scar appearance. Your body ultimately has the greatest effect on the way you heal.

David A. Robinson, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck scar

+2

Hello! I find the best cream for post surgery scars is SkinCeuticals Hydrating B5 Gel or Epidermal Repair. They both contain Hyaluronic Acid which is highly moisturizing and helps with the appearance of scars. Hopefully this helps.

Thank You.

Tom Haas, MD

Scar care after tummy tuck

+1
Thank you for your post. In tummy tuck and other lift/tightening surgeries, tension is the enemy. The scar is healing gradually over 12 weeks or so, and until it is strong, it is the weakest link. As there is a great deal of tension in tummy tucks, body lifts, breast lifts, etc., the scar is at high risk of 'stretching' or widening. Silicone sheeting, although having the ability to make a scar flat, does nothing to prevent stretching of the scar. Creams or steroids or lasers also do not have the ability to prevent stretching of the scar. Those are used if scar is thick or dark, but not to reduce the wideness of the scar, which is the main problem. Massage also does not help keep the scar thin, and can actually worsen the scar in the first 12 weeks because you are actually adding tension to the scar. Massage is for softening a hard or thick scar, but if used early, will hasten the scar widening. Only tension reduction has the ability to keep the scar as thin as possible. You may notice in a lot of tummy tuck scars that the center portion of the scar is the widest with the sides toward the hips being the thinnest. This is because the maximum tension is at the center, and least amount on the sides. Embrace removes a lot of the tension by putting more tension on the skin on either side of the incision and drawing the incision together. It is expensive though at about $100 per week for 12 weeks. When patients do not want to spend the money for embrace, I tape the incision trying to remove as much tension as possible for 12 weeks and recommend no stretching back and to sit most of the time, keeping tension off the scar.
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Scar cream for tummy tuck?

+1
Hello! Thank you for the question! It is common for scars to fully mature for up to a year. In the meantime, there are a few things that may help to ameliorate your incision/scar. The most proven (as well as cheapest) modality is simple scar massage. Applying pressure and massaging the well-healed scar has been shown to improve the appearance as it breaks up the scar tissue, hopefully producing the finest scar as possible. Other things that have been shown to add some benefit, albeit controversial, are silicone sheets, hydration, and topical steroids. These can usually be started at approximately 3-4 weeks postop and when incisions healed. In addition, avoidance of direct sunlight to the incision will significantly help the appearance as they tend to discolor with UV light during the healing process. Scars will never disappear, but attempt is made to make the finest scar in a concealed location.

If unsightly scars are still present after approximately a year's time, other things that your surgeon may consider are intralesional steroid injections, laser, or just surgical revision of the scar itself.

Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Scar Cream for Tummy Tuck Scar?

+1

Your plastic surgeon will have his/her preference when it comes to incision line “care”.  For example, some plastic surgeons prefer the use of tape ( applying pressure) along the incision line. The use of silicone-based products (creams or sheeting)  may also be helpful in achieving the best scars possible.

Proactive scar management

+1

There are several things that can be done in a proactive manner to improve scarring after an abdominoplasty.  It starts in the OR and the techniques used to close the scar without placing tension on the skin but on the deeper tissues.  Next I Like to keep the scar taped for the first 3 weeks this keeps some of the early tension off of the scar.  From the third week to the third month using a silicone product over the scar helps.

Scarfade good for tummy tuck scar.

+1

Hi.

We use Scarfade applied to the tummy tuck scar twice a day with rather good results..Also, depending on the color of the scar, different lasers can be quite helpful.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)