Scar Cream for Tummy Tuck Scar?

What is the most effective scar cream to apply on a tummy tuck scar so it would heal better?

1540 Laser Better Than Scar Cream for Tummy Tuck Scar

+3

Thank you for your question. I routinely advise my patients to massage their Tummy Tuck Scar and apply Scar Guard Cream after surgery.

However at the first sign of redness or "lumpy" areas in the scar I begin Laser Treatments with the 1540 Non ablative Fractional Erbium Laser. Results have been excellent.

Scar creams are a waste of money

+2

I have never seen any scientific or clinical evidence that scar creams accomplish anything.  There is good evidence, however, that religiously taping over your incision for 2-3 months can improve the final appearance of your surgical scar. The other thing that has been shown to be effective is silicone sheeting over the scar for several months. Don't waste your money on scar creams.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck scar cream

+2

I agree with Dr. Naidu that there is no one best cream for tummy tuck scars. I, like Dr. Naidu, also like Scar Fade and Scar Guard for their excellent moisturization. I usually will apply steri strips (special adhesive tape) to the incision for the first 4-6 weeks followed by Scar Fade or Scar Guard. I have found this method works the best to address most surgical scars. Silicone gel sheeting is also a good option however, it may be cumbersome to get the sheets to stay on each time they are applied. The sheets also need to be used for several months to obtain optimal results.

Keep in mind, these options aid in scar appearance. Your body ultimately has the greatest effect on the way you heal.

David A. Robinson, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck scar

+2

Hello! I find the best cream for post surgery scars is SkinCeuticals Hydrating B5 Gel or Epidermal Repair. They both contain Hyaluronic Acid which is highly moisturizing and helps with the appearance of scars. Hopefully this helps.

Thank You.

Tom Haas, MD

Tummy Tuck Scar Cream

+1
We have found Dermatrix Silicone Gel to be good at addressing scarring. It is a transparent, self-drying gel that can be used after your tummy tuck scar(s) has fully healed and all surgical tape and/or bandaging has been removed. The gel is applied to the scar(s) daily and works to smooth, flatten and relieve itchiness of the incision lines. 76% of dermatologists rated the efficacy of Dermatrix as good to very good in a European case study. These physicians rated Dermatrix on its ability to reduce scar elevation, elasticity, itchiness, pain and redness. Dermatrix is effective in treating either new or mature scars.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Scar Cream for Tummy Tuck Scar?

+1

Your plastic surgeon will have his/her preference when it comes to incision line “care”.  For example, some plastic surgeons prefer the use of tape ( applying pressure) along the incision line. The use of silicone-based products (creams or sheeting)  may also be helpful in achieving the best scars possible.

Proactive scar management

+1

There are several things that can be done in a proactive manner to improve scarring after an abdominoplasty.  It starts in the OR and the techniques used to close the scar without placing tension on the skin but on the deeper tissues.  Next I Like to keep the scar taped for the first 3 weeks this keeps some of the early tension off of the scar.  From the third week to the third month using a silicone product over the scar helps.

Scarfade good for tummy tuck scar.

+1

Hi.

We use Scarfade applied to the tummy tuck scar twice a day with rather good results..Also, depending on the color of the scar, different lasers can be quite helpful.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Scar cream for tummy tuck scar

+1

There are so many available scar creams, it's hard to chose one. Try a few to see which might be the 'one' for you. Some are Rxed, some are over the counter.

Scar creams and best options for tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) incisions

+1

I tend to agree with Dr. Singer's assesment. Generally, silicone scar sheets are probably the best at modifying the scar maturation process. Silcone gel creams or preparations with a sunblock are probably second best and there are countless products out there. Other preparations, in my opinion, such as Mederma or home remedies such as cocoa butter, aloe vera, vitamin E have weak if any true research supporting true effectiveness.