Scar Cream for Tummy Tuck Scar?

What is the most effective scar cream to apply on a tummy tuck scar so it would heal better?

1540 Laser Better Than Scar Cream for Tummy Tuck Scar

+5

Thank you for your question. I routinely advise my patients to massage their Tummy Tuck Scar and apply Scar Guard Cream after surgery.

However at the first sign of redness or "lumpy" areas in the scar I begin Laser Treatments with the 1540 Non ablative Fractional Erbium Laser. Results have been excellent.

Web reference: http://drseckel.com/scar-removal/new-laser-scar-removal-treatment-with-starlux-1540-non-ablative-fractional-laser/

Scar creams are a waste of money

+2

I have never seen any scientific or clinical evidence that scar creams accomplish anything.  There is good evidence, however, that religiously taping over your incision for 2-3 months can improve the final appearance of your surgical scar. The other thing that has been shown to be effective is silicone sheeting over the scar for several months. Don't waste your money on scar creams.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck scar cream

+2

I agree with Dr. Naidu that there is no one best cream for tummy tuck scars. I, like Dr. Naidu, also like Scar Fade and Scar Guard for their excellent moisturization. I usually will apply steri strips (special adhesive tape) to the incision for the first 4-6 weeks followed by Scar Fade or Scar Guard. I have found this method works the best to address most surgical scars. Silicone gel sheeting is also a good option however, it may be cumbersome to get the sheets to stay on each time they are applied. The sheets also need to be used for several months to obtain optimal results.

Keep in mind, these options aid in scar appearance. Your body ultimately has the greatest effect on the way you heal.

Munster Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck scar

+2

Hello! I find the best cream for post surgery scars is SkinCeuticals Hydrating B5 Gel or Epidermal Repair. They both contain Hyaluronic Acid which is highly moisturizing and helps with the appearance of scars. Hopefully this helps.

Thank You.

Proactive scar management

+1

There are several things that can be done in a proactive manner to improve scarring after an abdominoplasty.  It starts in the OR and the techniques used to close the scar without placing tension on the skin but on the deeper tissues.  Next I Like to keep the scar taped for the first 3 weeks this keeps some of the early tension off of the scar.  From the third week to the third month using a silicone product over the scar helps.

Scarfade good for tummy tuck scar.

+1

Hi.

We use Scarfade applied to the tummy tuck scar twice a day with rather good results..Also, depending on the color of the scar, different lasers can be quite helpful.

Scar cream for tummy tuck scar

+1

There are so many available scar creams, it's hard to chose one. Try a few to see which might be the 'one' for you. Some are Rxed, some are over the counter.

Scar creams and best options for tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) incisions

+1

I tend to agree with Dr. Singer's assesment. Generally, silicone scar sheets are probably the best at modifying the scar maturation process. Silcone gel creams or preparations with a sunblock are probably second best and there are countless products out there. Other preparations, in my opinion, such as Mederma or home remedies such as cocoa butter, aloe vera, vitamin E have weak if any true research supporting true effectiveness.

Tummy tuck scar

+1

I'm not sure that there is one best scar cream. I personally like ScarFade and ScarGuard because they provide excellent moisturization, but almost anything can be used, including cocoa butter, vitamin E, olive oil, etc. The home remedies have no science behind them, but they do moisturize while forcing you to massage the scar, which is also helpful. Keep in mind that your scar will continue to improve for up to one year after surgery. Good luck.

Scar Creams

+1

A scar regardless of its mechanism takes up to 8 months to mature and reach its final appearance and texture. Although the initial response is inflammatory (dependent on the interaction of inflammatory cells and mediators)in nature, the process becomes mechanical later on and responds to tension and compression.

It is very much analogous to the way a bone fracture heals.

Scientific studies have shown that silicone, garlic, vitamin E, compression even electric fields can influence the final appearance of a scar all other factors being the same.

In my opinion, with the exception of silicone containing creams or sheeting, or mederma the vast majority of creams do not deliver what they promise. You would be MUCH better served to save your money in this regard.

Dr. P. Aldea