Will Tummy Tuck Revision Be As Difficult to Recover From?

I had my TT on 10/14/11/ with MR and Lipo. I contracted MRSA and Staph shortly after my TT and now have a pocket that will not heal. It continues to fill with infection and fluid. I've had 4 drains now and if will not seal. So, I have changed surgeons and have been told that I will have to have a revision. I won't have muscle repair this time, so can I expect such a difficult recovery? I will have stretched skin removed and lipo on upper stomach. Will it cost as much as the original?

Tummy Tuck Revision Recovery?

I'm sorry to hear about the complications you have experienced after tummy tuck surgery.

The good news is that the recovery after revisionary surgery is generally less involved and less painful than the initial tummy tuck surgery. Most of the recovery discomfort after tummy tuck surgery is related to the “muscle repair”.

Unfortunately, not knowing the specifics involved I can't speculate on the costs of the revisionary surgery planned.

Make sure you have selected a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.

Recovery Varies From Patient to Patient

The recovery from abdominoplasty revision varies from patient to patient and depends upon a multitude of variables.In some cases the recovery may be similar to the original procedure, especially if the underlying muscles need to be repaired. The majority of revisions aren’t as complex as the original procedure and involve lesser degrees of dissection. Under these circumstances, recoveries tend to be shorter and associated with less discomfort.
In most cases patients can anticipate limited physical activity for ten to fourteen days following surgery. Patients can gradually resume normal activity over the next two weeks.Patients can usually return to work in one to two weeks if no strenuous activity or heavy lifting is involved. After six weeks patients can resume all their normal activities including heavy lifting.
Pain management is extremely important, especially when the abdominal muscles are tightened.Most patients are given narcotic pain relievers and eventually switched to Tylenol five to seven days following surgery.
The cost of revisional surgery varies from case to case and depends upon several variables.These costs include the surgeons fee, anesthesia charges and facility fees.In the majority of cases, it’s usually less than the original surgery, but in some cases may actually be more because of the complexity of the procedure.
It’s important to thoroughly discuss these issues with your plastic surgeon before surgery.Your surgeon should be able to answer your questions and clarify these issues.

Tummy Tuck Revision Recovery

Sorry to hear about your complications. Typically, recovery from the tummy tuck revision is not as involved as from the original surgery.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS