Is There Pain After Having Dog Ears Fixed? If So How is It Treated?

I had a full tummy tuck in December of 2011. I have great results except I have a small dog ear on my left side. I'm having it removed tomorrow and was wondering if there is pain associated with this procedure and if so how is that treated. I have a very low pain threshold. Thanks

Revision tummy tuck procedures for excess skin and fat

+2

Revision tummy tuck procedures are less painful than the original tummy tuck, primarily because the muscle does not have to be resewn with supportive sutures.  Dog ear excisions are relatively quick and easy in my practice. 

"Dog ear" repair

+2

Good news - the repair of the little cone of extra skin and fat, the so-called "dog ear", is quite easy.  The area is usually numbed thoroughly with local anesthesia, and the area is excised and repaired neatly.

Most people use extra-strength tylenol or a mild prescription pain pill (ask your doctor)...and have a straightforward, and fairly easy recovery.  Good luck!

Thomas Fiala, MD

"Dog Ear" treatment

+2

I assume you meant December 2010, removal of dog ears, which is a term used to describe the excess skin and fat at the ends of any type of incision is typically a simple procedure performed  under local anesthesial.  There should be little discomfort in the healing process and usually does not require anything more than OTC pain meds.  Follow your doctors postop instructions and you should do well.

Sean A. Simon, MD

Pain Should Be Minimal After "Dog Ear" Revision

+2

Pain is difficult to impossible to predict among different patients.  Having said that, I would predict that you would have minimal pain after your dog ear revision, especially if it small as you describe it.  With a low pain threshold, you may require a minor narcotic such as Vicodin for a few days or you may get by with Tylenol alone.

John Whitt, MD

Excision of "Dog Ear" after Tummy Tuck?

+2

Neither procedure nor your recovery should be very uncomfortable ( despite your low pain threshold).

Dog Ear Removal Is Usually Performed Under Local Anesthetic

+2

To calm your worries, you could have your doctor pre-treat you with a Valium pill.  You would need a friend to drive and you would need to sign any paperwork ahead of time.

The doctor can pre-numb the area with a topical local anesthetic or with an ice-pack.  The numbing can be slow and should not be very painful.  If the numbing is done rapidly, it will hurt.  The local anesthetic will last for hours.  See if your doctor can add some Marcaine to the injection which will prolong the time of anesthesia.  After the surgery Advil is usually all that is required, but if you are worried, have your doctor prescribe something stronger.

Keith Denkler, MD
Marin Plastic Surgeon

Pain after dog ears are surgically treated

+1

Small dog ears are not uncommon and can be surgically treated either by liposuction or an excision.  These can be done under local anesthesia and are not very painful.