Getting Tummy Tuck and Nose Job Together Safe?

I am planning to do both a tummy tuck and a nose job/deviated septum repair and am wondering if it is safe to do both at the same time. I have a 1yr and 3 year old and am thinking one down time would be better than two. Do you think it would be best to do them together or separately in regards to risk and recovery? Thank you.

Combining Rhinoplasty with a tummy tuck

+1

These days, it is quite common to perform one or more cosmetic procedures at the same operation.  Which operations "can go" with another is something to discuss with your surgeon.  There is surgical judgement as to what procedureshe/she feel comfortable performing together.

The overall imperative should be safe surgery.   Does your surgeon feel it is safe in his/her hands to perform the procedures you want together.

Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Combining plastic surgery procedures

+1

The recommendation by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons is to limit elective outpatient surgery to 6 hours or less.

I understand your rational for combining the procedures. Just make sure your surgeon has enough time to do a good job within the recommended time period. Otherwise, it is best to stage the surgeries (the order doesn't matter).

Good luck!

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and rhinoplasty is possible

+1

A rhinoplasty at the same time as a tummy tuck is done for the right patient. That is determined by your chosen plastic surgeon.

I would limit the procedure time to a maximum of 6 hrs. Anything longer, you may want to do as two separate procedures. However with the post-op recovery, I would recommend one-two week help with the children.

I perform the tummy tuck first, followed by the septoplasty/rhinoplasty as an outpatient surgery. With two procedures, I include a 24hr nurse for immediate post-op care at home.

I would recommend a board certified plastic surgeon comfortable with both the tummy tuck and rhinoplasty. Also see more than one plastic surgeon in consultation.

Andrew Turk, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty-Tummy tuck combination is possible

+1

I understand your reason to do both surgeries at one time and have one recovery period. Make sure to have the required help at home with your children. This is one thing that gets mothers into a tight spot and makes recovery miserable. You will need at least two weeks of help so you do not have to go shopping, car pool, bathe the children, lift or clean the house.

If you will make the proper preparations the recovery will go smoothly.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck and nose job together is possible

+1

Yes, I do them together. I do the Tummy Tuck first than the rhinoplasty. Go see 3 boarded plastic surgeons in your area. Regards and best of Luck.

Combined Rhinoplasty and Tummy Tuck should be okay

+1

You should be able to do both together without significantly increasing your risks. Be sure that the OR time is not excessive, and you may want to consider an overnight stay.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Tummy Tuck and Rhinoplasty is a reasonable combination

+1

I think that it would be reasonable to have a tummy tuck and a rhinoplasty together. Your surgeon should be well versed at both. Abdominoplasty carries a higher risk of blood clots than most plastic surgery procedures, and this risk is further increased with the longer time necessary to include rhinoplasty. Your plastic surgeon will take precautions to reduce the risk of blood clots. Such precautions include use of pneumatic sequential hose before, during, and after surgery, keeping you warm during surgery, and controlling your pain after surgery. I also give my tummy tuck patients a blood thinner after surgery, and your surgeon will decide whether he or she feels that this would be in your best interest, given the fact that this could increase the risk of post op bleeding from the nasal area.

Michael D. Yates, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Combining Tummy Tuck and Rhinoplasty

+1

There are advantages and disadvantages to combining operative procedures. As long as you are aware of the potential complications and the aftercare involved with both procedures and are in very good health, I think that it is safe for you to undergo these surgeries together. With your young children, as you point out, a single period of downtime would be a big plus.

John Whitt, MD

Tummy tuck and rhinoplasty together is OK.

+1

Hi.

You are young and, I assume, healthy.  So doing a rhinoplasty and a tummy tuck at the same time is reasonable.  I don't think you are significantly increasing the risk.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Combination procedures to decrease downtime

+1

Combining 2 or more procedures in order to reduce recovery time is a good option in very specific circumstances: your surgeon should feel comfortable that he can perform the procedures in a reasonable amount of time, you should be in good health can be able to medically tolerate a longer anesthetic, you should be aware of any additional risks, and the procedures should be straight forward so that there is a very low chance of coming across any surprises during the procedure, which can occur in cases for example that are redos (if this is your second or third nose procedures for example). If in doubt, you can always split these into 2 procedures-- you should feel fine 7-10 days after the septoplasty/rhinoplasty, and about 7-14 days after the tummy tuck. In the end, it is really up to you and your surgeon and as long as you are both realistic about the goals and limitations of doing the procedures together, it's probably ok to do so.

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS