Tummy Tuck Without Drainage Vs. with Drains?

Does it make a difference on swelling? I notice that people who have Tummy Tucks without drainage seem to be more swollen than tummy tucks done with. What is the difference?

Tunny Tuck without Drains.

+4

Traditionally, surgeons have used drains after a tummy tuck to drain any fluid which may accumulate under the skin which has been repositioned and tightened.  We refer to this space beneath the skin as "dead space".  Basically a space without purpose, but one in which fluid can accumulate.  This fluid is usually serous fluid (clear fluid) from the disruption of the lymphatic vessels during surgery and not blood. 

Now, if the dead space is eliminated through quilt suturing of the skin which has been repositioned to the tissue underneath, there would be no place for the fluid to accumulate.  This suturing technique of the two layers to obliterate the dead space takes a bit more time in the operating room, but it works quite nicely and avoids fluid collection.  It works in both massive weight-loss patients and those who have not had significant weight changes other than pregnancy.  Not having drains brings a significant amount of comfort to the patient in exchange for a few minutes of longer surgery time.

Whether drains are used or not, there is a certain degree of swelling associated with a tummy tuck that results from a) disruption of the lymphatic vessels and b) from change in the pattern of blood flow to that part of the abdomen.  Swelling is related to fluid accumulation between the cells in the tissues and not in the dead space where the drains are placed or where the space is closed by sutures.  In conclusion, I have not found that having or not having drains makes a difference in the post-operative swelling. However, not having drains after the surgery is much more comfortable for the patient.

Tummy Tucks and Drains

+4

Thanks for your question.

Tummy tucks creates a large dead space above the belly button down to the incision. Fluid can accumulate in this space. In addition, incisions used to perform abdominoplasty divide small lymphatic vessels decreasing the body's ability to return fluid from tissue back into the circulation.

Drains usually stay in from 4 days to two weeks. The drains are used to remove fluid that collects in the dead space created. When drain output is low enough (most surgeons use about ~30 cc/day as a point that indicates the drains are safe to take out).

Even after the drains are removed there will be some degree of swelling in the tissue flaps themselves because of the divided lymphatics. It takes those channels several months to reconstitute. The swelling within that tissue will last until your body has rebuilt them.

I hope that helps.

Drainage after Tummy Tuck reduces chance of fluid accumulation and swelling beneath the skin

+2

I usually place drains beneath the skin after a tummy tuck. The drains remove fluid and blood that accumulates in the first 24 hours after the tummy tuck.

I use drains, because if the fluid does build up after surgery and a drain is not used to remove it, you can develope a seroma which is an accumulation of fluid that not only causes swelling, but also has to be removed by needle aspiration. This prolongs recovery and can produce longer swelling. Seromas can become infected and harm the final aesthtic result.

Long-term swelling after tummy tuck (6 weeks to 3 months) is not likely caused by failure to use a drain. More likely, long-term swelling is caused by failure to remove enough skin and/or fat during the tummy tuck.

Tummy Tuck drainage at surgeon's discretion

+2

To drain or not to drain is at the surgeon's discretion as there is no concensus. The majority of surgeon's drain, some for just a couple of day, some for weeks. Some try to suture the cavity closed thus obviating the need for drainage. The main purpose is to prevent small hematomas or seromas from forming. It usually does not prevent large bleeds from occurring and the amount of swelling should be less as bruising (which contributes to swelling) should also be less.

However, it may be that those situations that demand drainage because of above average oozing or bleeding are the ones that will produce more swelling. The usual mantra is when in doubt, drain.

Swelling with no-drain tummy tuck

+1

There is going to be swelling of the tissues with either a normal tummy tuck with drains or one done without drains. I have done a tummy tuck both ways but have switched to the no-drain tummy tuck for the last 8 years. There is initially slightly more swelling of the lower abdomen with the no-drain technique. In addition, there are often small dimples in the skin where the internal quilting sutures are pulling on the skin. There is less pain, however, with the no-drain patient because they do not have drains pinching their skin. After 3-4 weeks, the swelling and appearance of the no-drain tummy tuck patient has equalized with that of the normal tummy tuck patient. It will take both patients a good 3-6 months to completely resolve the swelling.

Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck With No Drains

+1

Smaller tummy tucks can be done without drains, and some believe that using a certain type of sutures called PTS sutures may minimize fluid collections.  This is really based on surgeon experience and preference.  Swelling is a highly variable process that is also very individualized.  The use of drains really does not affect swelling after surgery.

Drains and tummy tucks

+1

Every surgeon is different. I prefer to place drains under the abdominal flap for relief of fluid collecting under the flap.  Perhaps patients will have more swelling without drains.

You should use drains with abdominoplasty

+1

It is standard practice to use drains with abdominoplasty. Some people advocate not placing drains, however this is not common. If you do not have drains and you collect fluid under the skin, then you could have a seroma requiring drainage.

Web reference: http://www.RealPlasticSurgery.com

Most plastic surgeons will utilize drains following abdominoplasty

+1

Most plastic surgeons will utilize drains following an abdominoplasty. Drains will help prevent seromas or fluid collections by eliminating excess serum or fluid that the body produces. Some surgeons may not use drains because they may 'obliterate' the space using quilting sutures to reapproximate the fatty tissue to the underlying muscle.

Most experienced plastic surgeons use drains for tummy tucks

+1

To myfatbelly,

Hi! The most common complication of an abdominoplasty is a seroma (fluid collection). In my experience and in the plastic surgery literature, drains help prevent seromas. They should be left in place at least one week. And drains have no real down side other than temporary discomfort.

There are many important technical details in tummy tucks, and drains are just one example. Everything else being equal, go with the surgeon who uses drains.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.