Activities to Avoid After Tummy Tuck Surgery?

I had a full tummy tuck 12 days ago and I'm wondering what activities to avoid and how long ... As well I cannot stand straight yet is this normal? How do I know if I'm using my an muscles too much or too soon and if one does pull a mucsle or stitch out of a muscle how would one know???how long should I wear the garment and why did my nurse say the tighter the garment the better. ?? It seems to hurt more when I waer it tight. Thanks!!

Listen to your body.

+3

To ktn,

Hi! Of course, everyone heals a little differently, and there are different types of tummy tucks. But here are some general rules:

1) Two weeks after surgery you should be able to stand up straight and move about quite freely.

2) One month after surgery you can return to your normal exercise routine.

3) Avoid a garment that feels too tight and that hurts. I don't think garments do much, anyway.

4) In 20 years, I have never had a patient "pop a stitch". So relax! You are very unlikely to do any damage.

Post tummy tuck questions

+2

Every surgeon suggests different things for post-op care, therefore you should really call your doctor's office. In general, I have patients wear an abdominal garment for 3-6 weeks. I have them limit aerobic acitivity for 3-4 weeks ,and then heavy lifting and sit-ups for 6-8 weeks. Patients usually are told to keep slightly bent for about a week.

Tummy tuck recovery and activity recommendations

+1

Congrats on your new abdomen.  You will need to take care and watch your activity level following this procedure.  Generally, I encourage compression garment wear for 4-6 weeks postop.  You will gradually be able to stand up after 10-14 days.  Light activity (light aerobic activity) can be started when the patient feels up to it.  I also instruct patients to back off of any activity should they feel any pulling.  I always stress avoidance of activities that cause any sudden tensing of the abdominal wall for 8 weeks and then after that time a very gradual resumption of core body excercises.

Stephen M. Chen, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck activity restrictions and rationale

+1

It is not specifically the strict weight of lifting that concerns us but the use of the stomach muscles. I have had one person. who was accustomed to having a bowel movement everyday, strain so intensely that they ruptured the muscle repair.

Our concerns with lifting are related to two features:

1.The potential for bleeding in the first 24 hours and then again between 7-10 days
2.The possibility of rupturing the muscle repair. This can occur anytime for 6 weeks after surgery.
However, the limitations are subject to interpretation and, in my practice, I advise patients to be cautious for 2 weeks. When lifting children, I ask that friends or partners place the child in your lap or that you use your legs and thighs to lift.

After a tummy tuck listen to your surgeon.

+1

You have hired a surgeon to take care of you because you trusted his skill and judgment.   Listen to him. My patients are eased back into activity and generally are fully athletically active by 3 months.  But every patient is different and we titrate activity to the specific course of the patient.

Activities after a tummy tuck surgery

+1

Tummy tucks are a very popular and effective way to contour the abdomen and tighten your waist. They can address the loose muscle into it on the wall as well as extra fat and stretch marks in the abdomen. In our practice, we provide our patients with two compression garments to help them during the recovery process. These garments apply even compression throughout the treated areas and provide support. We asked our patients to walk as much as possible after their surgery. This exercise will help open their lungs, prevent some fevers, and stimulate their appetite. We ask that our patients wait for at least 5 to 6 weeks after their surgery before returning to the gym for exercise.

To learn more about tummy tucks, see photos, and help you decide which one is best for you, please visit us at the link below:

Pat Pazmino, MD

Follow the direction from your surgeon

+1

KTN,

The best advice is to follow the instructions from your surgeon. However, in most cases, I tell patients that it takes about one week to stand up straight. You should not lift anything heavy (more than 5 pounds) for the first six weeks. Basically, your body will tell you if you are pushing it too much. As much aerobic (walking) activity that you can do is great. Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

No vigorous workout and abdominal exercises for at least 3 weeks after abdominoplasty

+1

I limit my patients activity for 3 weeks after abdominoplasty. I would not do sit ups or vigorous abdominal exercises for at least 6 weeks-you might pull out a stitch that was used to repair your abdominal muscles.

It is important that you walk and use your legs immediately after surgery to help avoid blood clots in your legs.

Garments are usually worn for the first week and then a lighter garment like spanks is used after that.

If the garment makes you uncomfortable then call your doctor. Sometimes a very tight garment can interfere with healing and blood supply and can have a negative effect.

If you pull out a stich you will feel or hear a pop and you will see new swelling on the abdomen, most likely.

Be sure to call and see your doctor with all concerns.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS