How Long is the Recovery Period for Full Tummy Tuck?

I'm 43 years old and had Full Tummy Tuck around seven weeks ago. I could not stand upright for 5 weeks post-op. When do you stop feeling tugs, pulling and tightness?

Full recovery after Tummy Tuck takes time

+10

Myfatbelly,

After seven weeks of healing, you are pretty far along and it sounds like you are making progress. Standing full and upright is something we expect to see in most patients after the first week, and some actuallly return to work and gentle activities after two weeks though the pace of recovery can vary. You are on the slow side but don't worry.

Full tummy tuck is not a single operation and the methods used in correction will depend on the degree of skin and muscle laxity. Of course, those who have a strong foundation which did not require any muscle repair will recover the fastest. Some may have had a true area of hernia and healing can take eight weeks or longer.

With any tummy tuck procedure, there will be a stiffness and tightness to the stomach, and sometimes a numb feeling that takes many weeks to resolve. If your doctor thinks that you are ready and soundly healed, you can begin with relaxation exercise such as yoga to gently improve flexibility and motion in the abdomen. This will take some time. After you have restored flexibility, then resume aerobic activities such as stationary bike or treadmill. The progress of your return to an exercise program will give you a good idea as to when you will be back to activity as usual.

Best of luck.

Tummy Tuck recovery is variable

+9

Since all abdominoplasties are not alike, recovery times are different. The amount of dissection, the tightness of the closure, the need to tighten the muscles and to what degree may all influence post-op pain, sense of tightness, and recovery time. However, most patients should be able to resume most activities by 4-6 weeks and should be able to stand erect within a few days. Most tugging and tight feeling should be gone by the time you resume all activities within 4-6 weeks although an occasional twinge of pain is not uncommon even after a few months. This pain should usually not be disabling, but more annoying.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

You should be better a few weeks after Tummy Tuck

+8

Myfatbelly,

I assume you have already discussed this and much more with your surgeon. He or she will be the best source of information.

I typically tell my patients that they will be able to stop narcotics in about a week, stand straight 1-2 weeks, begin driving 2 weeks, begin exercises in 4 weeks, be back to most all activities 2 months, and 12-18 months for numbness to resolve and scars fade. Those general guidelines do not tell you exactly how you'll recover.

You may notice, for several months, that certain things you do cause twinges, tugs, etc. You may notice new areas becoming tingly, sensitive or sore as nerves heal and recover. Most of this is a minor annoyance and does not stop you from doing simple activities. It all tends to get better over time. Best wishes.

Sutton Graham II, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck recovery

+7

I encourage patients to stand upright after 3 to 4  days. In my experience, anything beyond that can result  in one heck of a back ache. Sitting in a straight-backed chair is a good way to "relax " the incision.

Barry H. Dolich, MD
Bronx Plastic Surgeon

Full Tummy Tuck Recovery period

+4

Although many patients feel some tightness most of my patients stand comfortably upright within a few weeks at most. Recovery times of course vary from patient to patient.

Here are the general recommendations and healing time course for full tummy tuck procedures:

Following the tummy tuck procedure, you should be in a flexed position to minimize tension on the incision sites by to bending at the hips (waist) in order to reduce tension on the newly tightened skin. A recliner chair is perfect for this purpose but a pillow beneath your knees and several at the head of the bed will work well also.  Immediately after surgery, within the first few hours, the patients will walk in a slightly bent-over position. Start walking flexed at the waist (in a stooped position) for a few minutes every 1-2 hours the evening of surgery and continuing daily except when sleeping. This will minimize your risk for blood clots. Wear your TED stockings
In about one week you can gradually stand up straight.
Gradually increase activity as tolerated.
No sexual activity for 6 weeks after surgery.
Wiggle your toes and move your ankles in circles in bed every hour.
No heavy exercise, bending, lifting, baths, swimming, sun exposure, smoking, alcohol or sports
for 6 weeks following surgery after your surgeon has given you clearance to do so.
Limit napping to one short nap (less than an hour) per day to prevent sleep disturbance at night.
P O S I T I O N
Sleeping in a recliner chair with your legs elevated is helpful for the first several days. In bed
elevate head and back on 2-3 pillows and keep 2 pillows under your knees.
A 'reclined' or sitting position relieves tension on the incision. During the 6 weeks after surgery, strenuous activity and the lifting of more than ten pounds must be avoided.  Many patients are able to return to work and daily activities within 2 weeks of surgery.  Softening of the surgical scars, return of sensation, and loosening of the tight sensation may take several months. Abdominoplasty recovery can be in some cases slow and uncomfortable requiring more time for a full recovery. Light activity is comfortable in 10-20 days. Sports will be more comfortable after 6 weeks.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

+3

Recovery period after a tummy tuck can be from two to 4 weeks. It is not unusual to still feel tug and tight around the incisions and flanks for a long time( months). This is due to scar and wound healing. When liposuction is perform with a tummy tuck  (as I usually do it for better contour) you may fill tightness around the areas of liposuction for months.

Jaime Perez, MD

Typical Tummy Tuck Recovery

+2
2-3 weeks and not exercising for 4-6 weeks. Call your surgeon and discuss your concerns.

Renato Saltz, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Recovery Period: What to Expect

+2

Abdominoplasty removes excess abdominal skin while simultaneously tightening the abdominal muscles.  Patients can anticipate limited physical activity for ten to fourteen days following surgery.  I typically tell my patients bathroom and kitchen privileges initially with slow resumption of normal activity over the next two weeks.  Patients can usually return to work in two weeks if no strenuous activity or heavy lifting is involved.  After seven to eight weeks, patients can resume all their normal activities including heavy lifting. 

The vast majority of abdominoplasty patients have resumed their normal activities within three months of surgery, but the wound healing process continues for up to a year following this procedure.  These symptoms usually disappear with the passage of time. During this period patients occasionally note swelling, pulling, numbness and tightness. 

It’s important to discuss these problems with your surgeon.  Your surgeon should be able to help you address these concerns and alleviate your anxiety.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Recovery for a full tummy tuck

+2
The recovery from a tummy tuck will depend upon the extent of a tummy tuck. Recovery will come in stages. Many of my patients who do not have very physically demanding jobs can go back to work in a week. Complete recovery, including strenuous workouts can take many weeks. Follow your doctor's orders carefully and go slowly.  

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Six months is the usual amount of time to expect for healing

+2

Six months is the usual amount of recovery after a tummy tuck. Patients are advised to walk a bit hunched for the first week to prevent pulling on the swollen and tightened muscles. This usually passes after about a week to ten days. I tell my patients after the first six weeks you can do everything including exercising. That is also when the tugging, pulling and tightness stop. At six months your body has healed and you should have a flatter abdomen. Some scars take up to one year to heal after a full tummy tuck. Eventually those scars should turn into fine white lines. When having a tummy tuck it is important to seek a board certified plastic surgeon that can manage you post operative care.

Z. Paul Lorenc, MD