How Long is the Recovery Period for Full Tummy Tuck?

I'm 43 years old and had Full Tummy Tuck around seven weeks ago. I could not stand upright for 5 weeks post-op. When do you stop feeling tugs, pulling and tightness?

You should be better a few weeks after Tummy Tuck

Myfatbelly,

I assume you have already discussed this and much more with your surgeon. He or she will be the best source of information.

I typically tell my patients that they will be able to stop narcotics in about a week, stand straight 1-2 weeks, begin driving 2 weeks, begin exercises in 4 weeks, be back to most all activities 2 months, and 12-18 months for numbness to resolve and scars fade. Those general guidelines do not tell you exactly how you'll recover.

You may notice, for several months, that certain things you do cause twinges, tugs, etc. You may notice new areas becoming tingly, sensitive or sore as nerves heal and recover. Most of this is a minor annoyance and does not stop you from doing simple activities. It all tends to get better over time. Best wishes.

Greenville Plastic Surgeon

Full recovery after Tummy Tuck takes time

Myfatbelly,

After seven weeks of healing, you are pretty far along and it sounds like you are making progress. Standing full and upright is something we expect to see in most patients after the first week, and some actuallly return to work and gentle activities after two weeks though the pace of recovery can vary. You are on the slow side but don't worry.

Full tummy tuck is not a single operation and the methods used in correction will depend on the degree of skin and muscle laxity. Of course, those who have a strong foundation which did not require any muscle repair will recover the fastest. Some may have had a true area of hernia and healing can take eight weeks or longer.

With any tummy tuck procedure, there will be a stiffness and tightness to the stomach, and sometimes a numb feeling that takes many weeks to resolve. If your doctor thinks that you are ready and soundly healed, you can begin with relaxation exercise such as yoga to gently improve flexibility and motion in the abdomen. This will take some time. After you have restored flexibility, then resume aerobic activities such as stationary bike or treadmill. The progress of your return to an exercise program will give you a good idea as to when you will be back to activity as usual.

Best of luck.

Tummy Tuck recovery is variable

Since all abdominoplasties are not alike, recovery times are different. The amount of dissection, the tightness of the closure, the need to tighten the muscles and to what degree may all influence post-op pain, sense of tightness, and recovery time. However, most patients should be able to resume most activities by 4-6 weeks and should be able to stand erect within a few days. Most tugging and tight feeling should be gone by the time you resume all activities within 4-6 weeks although an occasional twinge of pain is not uncommon even after a few months. This pain should usually not be disabling, but more annoying.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Tummy Tuck recovery

I encourage patients to stand upright after 3 to 4  days. In my experience, anything beyond that can result  in one heck of a back ache. Sitting in a straight-backed chair is a good way to "relax " the incision.

Barry H. Dolich, MD
Bronx Plastic Surgeon

Recovery for a full tummy tuck

The recovery from a tummy tuck will depend upon the extent of a tummy tuck. Recovery will come in stages. Many of my patients who do not have very physically demanding jobs can go back to work in a week. Complete recovery, including strenuous workouts can take many weeks. Follow your doctor's orders carefully and go slowly.  

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Six months is the usual amount of time to expect for healing

Six months is the usual amount of recovery after a tummy tuck. Patients are advised to walk a bit hunched for the first week to prevent pulling on the swollen and tightened muscles. This usually passes after about a week to ten days. I tell my patients after the first six weeks you can do everything including exercising. That is also when the tugging, pulling and tightness stop. At six months your body has healed and you should have a flatter abdomen. Some scars take up to one year to heal after a full tummy tuck. Eventually those scars should turn into fine white lines. When having a tummy tuck it is important to seek a board certified plastic surgeon that can manage you post operative care.

Z. Paul Lorenc, MD

Tummy Tuck Recovery

In general it takes a few weeks for most patients to recover from a tummy tuck. Some will heal more quickly, some will take longer. The variable that affect recovery the most is the amount of muscle repair required. The more muscle tightening necessary, the long the expected recovery.

Some activities are restricted short term, showering for example. Some activities are restricted for weeks, like heavy lifting. It is important to discuss these details with your plastic surgeon before surgery so that there are no surprises. 

From my own experience the recovery can vary widely. I have some patients feel great in a few days and other take a few months, and it is not always who I would predict. Tight sensations down the middle of the abdomen. especially with reaching overhead, can last for days, weeks or months. As long as you are improving, it is considered normal.

If questions arise, your plastic surgeon should be there to answer them and help relieve the anxiety. If you can't get questions answered before surgery, you probably won't be able to get them answered after surgery, so choose someone you can talk to. It is a professional relationship, but it is still a relationship built on mutual trust.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Recovery

That is a great question. A tummy tuck not only requires the excision and suturing of extra skin, but also the internal suturing of the abdominal muscles which will lengthen the recovery period. It is imperative to allow six weeks for the abdominal wall and skin to close over and fully heal before returning back to regular movement. Patients may experience temporary pain, soreness, numbness and swelling for several months which will eventually subside. Hope this has helped.

Rady Rahban, MD

Typical Tummy Tuck Recovery

2-3 weeks and not exercising for 4-6 weeks. Call your surgeon and discuss your concerns.

Renato Saltz, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

How Long is the Recovery Period for Full Tummy Tuck? #tummy tuck #recovery

Thank you for your question!  The tummy tuck recovery in my practice is divided into stages. 

Stage 1 - The immediate post-operative stage which lasts up to two weeks after surgery.  This is the time the drains are in place and I would assess for possible complications such as bleeding, infection, skin loss, etc.

Stage 2 - 2 weeks post-op to 6 weeks after surgery.  This is the time I would be looking for possible fluid collections and taking care of these if needed.

Stage 3 - Beyond 6 weeks to 6 months where the incision is healing, the tummy feels more like your own rather than numb, and your energy increases back to normal. 

Stage 4 - Beyond 6 months where the incisions lighten, soften, and the tummy tuck is now in the past and life goes on.  The incisions may take up to a total of two years to completely heal and lighten as much as they can. 

Hope this helps!!