Does Tummy Tuck Cost Depend on Weight?

Is it cheaper to perform a Tummy Tuck on someone who is a normal weight? I've recently lost 60+ pounds. Because it was in a 6 month time period, I've gained many stretch marks and and a gross "pouch" thing that so far seems to be permanent. However, I am of a healthy weight. (5'2" and 130 pounds.) Thank you.

Tummy tucks are usually not based on weight, although a surgeon could charge more for increased difficulty

+1
Thank you for your post.
In considering the cost of a Tummy Tuck, you should look at the components of the cost:
1. Surgeons Fee. This is usually the greatest part of the overall cost and can vary immensly from location to location (just like the cost of living varies in each location) as well as in the same location, it can vary from surgeon to surgeon. Usually, a surgeon commanding a higher price is very experienced and has very good results reliably, and is very busy due to the above. This also depends on if a circumferential, tummy tuck, extended tummy tuck, full tummy tuck, mini tummy tuck, and skin only tummy tuck is performed. These are usually less expensive in decreasing order.
2. Anesthesia Fee. This can vary depending on if a board certified MD anesthesiologist is used, vs. a nurse anesthetist, vs. a non-certified nurse, vs. only local anesthesia (an awake procedure). Obviously, the further you go down the line, the cheaper the price. You do get what you pay for.
3. Facility Fee. This can vary if it is a a state/medicare certified facility, vs. the back of a doc's office.
4. Accessories. This includes things like a pain pump, Exparol injections (72 hour long lasting numbing), garments, tissue glues, etc. These are not necessary for a great result, just add to the comfort of a result.
5. Revision. Usually a revision such as dog ears or lowering the scar, or a seroma, is much less that the original surgery, but this depends entirely on what exactly is being done.
6. Add on surgeries are usually discounted, as in a mommy makeover.
7. Insurance. If an insurance based surgery, such as a hernia repair is done at the same time, the tummy tuck may be discounted.
As with anything in life, buyer beware of risks of cutting corners in surgery.
Real Self has average costs of every operations in your location that you can peruse before seeing a surgeon, but keep in mind that the above quality can change from office to office. Choose a surgeon that you are very comfortable with and is board certified.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Costs

+1
The surgical fee for tummy tuck is based on whether we are performing a full abdominoplasty or a mini tummy tuck. Additional surgical time of the procedure may increase the MD Anesthesiologist fee.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Depends on the work involved

+1

I adjust my price based on how much time my patient's surgery will take. Certainly a tummy tuck on you would be different that on someone who needs 15 pounds of fat removed. I would speak to your surgeon about this as some Doctors do not adjust price and charge a flat fee for all of their procedures.  

David Rankin, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and price

+1

It per se doesnt depend so much on weight but how much time it will take and how much work needs to be done. Obviously if you are heavy then there is likely more work to be done and it will cost more.

Now if you have lost a lot of weight and just have skin remaining it may not be as expensive as some one who is larger and had more weight.

Hope that makes sense.

Farbod Esmailian, MD